Ryoumin 0-nin Start no Henkyou Ryoushusama - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
I'm actually a bit shocked that a western distributor even picked this up in the first place. I would've thought that the age gap between Dias and Aruna, and the fact that she's canonically 15 would've scared them all off.
They've already done Lazy Dungeon Master, which has some considerably questionable situtations thanks to Niku

Dex-chan lover
"Official" translations almost always strip out honorifics and specific family terminology, which means meaning gets lost and we wind up with people calling each other "big bro" and the like, which always sounds stilted and unnatural.

I don't want to read over-localized crap. I prefer my manga to be presented as a product of the culture that produced it, warts and all.

Dex-chan lover
JNC isn’t that bad, actually. They have a paid membership where you can catch up with ongoings, so you don’t have to worry about coins. They’re also one of the few publishers out there who provide DRM-free series, which is always a plus.

As to why they picked it up… I mean, Alna’s 15, but it’s not like they’re sleeping together. And according to the head of JNC, the LN is also licensed by an integrated publisher.

Edit: Can’t forget the most important part: you can choose how many coins to purchase. They’re not like microtransactions.
Oh boy! I get the privilege of paying for every chapter but at least they're not screwing me as hard as they could! All official pubs are scumbag scams, no exceptions. They barely even give back to the authors 90% of the time too.

JNC shills: don't bother trying to convince me they’re actually decent.

Dex-chan lover
If it got published by an official English publisher, that means there is a high chance an anime coming up soon.

jak

Contributor
"Official" translations almost always strip out honorifics and specific family terminology, which means meaning gets lost and we wind up with people calling each other "big bro" and the like, which always sounds stilted and unnatural.

I don't want to read over-localized crap. I prefer my manga to be presented as a product of the culture that produced it, warts and all.
Yeah, it's just as bad in video games as well sadly...

Dex-chan lover
I'm surprised this got an official TL. I read it from time to time but I consider it to be pretty a pretty "eh" series.

I think JNC is pretty above average in both quality and not screwing the customer. It could be a lot worse although Timeless Scans have set the bar pretty high for a translator so I suspect JNC might fall short.

Dex-chan lover
Most of these series are farther ahead for the official than what they post here btw.
Also, why do people get upset at official english/other language translations? Isn't that a good thing? Most also use a coin system and split chapters, almost exactly the same to what the RAWS use too. I don't understand all the hate.
Like, I get you don't wanna waste a dime, but c'mon guys. Most of you are going to use an Aggregator for the officials anyway.
They barely even give back to the authors 90% of the time too.
Don't official english publishers negotiate with the Japanese publishers for the rights? So isn't it actually the Japanese publishers screwing over the original authors, cause they choose how much they'll get, if any?

The only publisher I can think of that negotiate with authors themselves is Cross Infinite World. But that's because a majority of their novels are WNs that never got a LN. Some have mangas though.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
JNC isn’t that bad, actually. They have a paid membership where you can catch up with ongoings, so you don’t have to worry about coins. They’re also one of the few publishers out there who provide DRM-free series, which is always a plus.

As to why they picked it up… I mean, Alna’s 15, but it’s not like they’re sleeping together. And according to the head of JNC, the LN is also licensed by an integrated publisher.

Edit: Can’t forget the most important part: you can choose how many coins to purchase. They’re not like microtransactions.
you are on literally every single one of the many mangoes on here claimed by JNC, shill
EDIT: after reading this one they have DRM-free, nice that will make it easier to get from aggregators :meguu:

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
1) j-novel looks like they only allow the first volume to be read without buying into their silly "coins" scheme
FYI, you can buy any individual volume for $9, but there's only one volume listed for this title at the moment and it's releasing in two weeks.

Aggregator gang
Most of these series are farther ahead for the official than what they post here btw.
Also, why do people get upset at official english/other language translations? Isn't that a good thing? Most also use a coin system and split chapters, almost exactly the same to what the RAWS use too. I don't understand all the hate.
Like, I get you don't wanna waste a dime, but c'mon guys. Most of you are going to use an Aggregator for the officials anyway.

Don't official english publishers negotiate with the Japanese publishers for the rights? So isn't it actually the Japanese publishers screwing over the original authors, cause they choose how much they'll get, if any?

The only publisher I can think of that negotiate with authors themselves is Cross Infinite World. But that's because a majority of their novels are WNs that never got a LN. Some have mangas though.

It's good for the manga itself and the author from the increased number of avenues for them to get some money/ official exposure.

It's bad for the person reading here. It's effort to go onto another aggregator. If you aren't going to pay a dime anyway, having to re-adapt to another translation's quirks is unpleasant.

Based on what you said though, how monetization is handled in Japan sounds garbage. Mimicking garbage is still garbage. Now throw in a localized publisher that takes another cut from the author/artist, and it sounds like official tagged scum.

Are you really shocked to hear people don't like personal inconvenience, nevermind hearing just how little the actual author/artist get from localized official publication?

It really doesn't help that someone's really trying to say a microtransaction isn't a microtransaction, just because you can pick an exact arbitrary number after buying the specified site-used currency.

There's a lot more to touch on, but a lot of factors are potentially in play. Something you, I, or anyone here won't really know unless the person behind the single sentence elaborates, and cares enough to take the time to do so. And like the touched upon personal inconvenience, I can't imagine most would inconvenience themselves to elaborate and discuss this at length after already leaving a simple remark on how they feel. Which is a lot more negative than positive.

Me? I already lost interest in this one. So was interesting for me to learn about the people here and the official process.

Dex-chan lover
Most also use a coin system and split chapters, almost exactly the same to what the RAWS use too. I don't understand all the hate.
I know there are people complaining about localization and wanting the authentic experience but monetization is one thing I want to be localized. The Japanese and other Asian markets have a fundamentally different relationship with microtransactions and gacha. Stuff like k manga are seen as extremely scummy and anti-consumer in the west yet the Japanese version has been well liked and successful for years.

Group Leader
Oh boy! I get the privilege of paying for every chapter but at least they're not screwing me as hard as they could! All official pubs are scumbag scams, no exceptions. They barely even give back to the authors 90% of the time too.

JNC shills: don't bother trying to convince me they’re actually decent.
....so paying $5 a month to read ALL their series and to give back to the authors is a "Scam" now.

Dex-chan lover
....so paying $5 a month to read ALL their series and to give back to the authors is a "Scam" now.
Actually, you only get to read the newest chapters with their subscription. So if you wanna read a new manga you're not caught up on you get to pay out the ass for it, that's the part I consider a scam. And really the $5 sub is pretty bare bones, the $10 one is probably the more realistic option for most people, although either way the quality overall is pretty low for any paid service at all imo. And they barely "give back to the authors".

Group Leader
Actually, you only get to read the newest chapters with their subscription. So if you wanna read a new manga you're not caught up on you get to pay out the ass for it, that's the part I consider a scam. And really the $5 sub is pretty bare bones, the $10 one is probably the more realistic option for most people, although either way the quality overall is pretty low for any paid service at all imo. And they barely "give back to the authors".
1. You have no idea what the publishing rights consist of, so saying they barely give anything back seems wrong. And if they do, that comes down to the Japanese publishers not asking for enough. They are the ones making the deals. This is the same crap people have said for years "The Artists barely make anything from CD sales!" well yeah they might only make 80 cents on a sale, but that adds up when they are selling hundreds of thousands of CDs.

2. Almost everyone I know who uses Jnovel uses the $5 option, the $10 one is good too, but I never saw the point of it since I don't need to buy the manga/LNs from them since I'm reading them while they are streaming. The only difference is a discount on LN sales and $7 of coins

3. They always put six series on catchup each month, so you can easily read 30 volumes worth of stuff for $5. Like, you do realize how cheap $5 is right? Buying ONE volume off of Amazon costs more then that.

The one bad thing I will say about JNovel is, as the same implies, it has a focus on LNs. There ARE manga, but far less than the number of LNs they have. So most months they only have one manga on catchup, so if you are only there to read manga it might not be worth it.

And lets be real with each other...if you really wanted to just pay the membership fees but not buy the volumes you could just pirate them until you were caught up. But yeah I do agree it would be nice if the $10 tier just let you read whatever you wanted.

Like, I'm not agaist scanning...I'm on here after all (And I'm all for fan scans of things that aren't being published), actually I need to get back to scanning the next chapter of Akuma Koujo......, but pretending a site that let's you access thousands of hours of LNs for $5 a month is a scam is just silly. Like, just say "I don't feel like paying because I'm cheap and would rather use it to buy a couple beers"

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
1. You have no idea what the publishing rights consist of, so saying they barely give anything back seems wrong. And if they do, that comes down to the Japanese publishers not asking for enough. They are the ones making the deals. This is the same crap people have said for years "The Artists barely make anything from CD sales!" well yeah they might only make 80 cents on a sale, but that adds up when they are selling hundreds of thousands of CDs.

2. Almost everyone I know who uses Jnovel uses the $5 option, the $10 one is good too, but I never saw the point of it since I don't need to buy the manga/LNs from them since I'm reading them while they are streaming. The only difference is a discount on LN sales and $7 of coins

3. They always put six series on catchup each month, so you can easily read 30 volumes worth of stuff for $5. Like, you do realize how cheap $5 is right? Buying ONE volume off of Amazon costs more then that.

The one bad thing I will say about JNovel is, as the same implies, it has a focus on LNs. There ARE manga, but far less than the number of LNs they have. So most months they only have one manga on catchup, so if you are only there to read manga it might not be worth it.

And lets be real with each other...if you really wanted to just pay the membership fees but not buy the volumes you could just pirate them until you were caught up. But yeah I do agree it would be nice if the $10 tier just let you read whatever you wanted.

Like, I'm not agaist scanning...I'm on here after all (And I'm all for fan scans of things that aren't being published), actually I need to get back to scanning the next chapter of Akuma Koujo......, but pretending a site that let's you access thousands of hours of LNs for $5 a month is a scam is just silly. Like, just say "I don't feel like paying because I'm cheap and would rather use it to buy a couple beers"
And there it is, "oh, you don't want to be forced to pay for something low quality? Well you're just cheap!" Well, sorry I don't like the idea of a glorified e-rental service being the only way I can get their series. Don't even make me laugh about their "catch up series" being of any value, since it's not ones the buyer gets to pick and instead whatever THEY think people should read so you STILL have to pay if you want to read a new series that doesn'thappen to be in the catch up rotation. I don't really like many mainstream series so that is effectively a big fat nothing.

It's not the $5 one time, it's that you have to keep paying that every month just to keep up with a series and then you don't even get to keep the ones you read. If netflix used this same system they would lose 50% of their subs. The very fact that you also use MD is proof enough to me that JNC isn't worth it. No one here is gonna stop you from wasting your own money so there's no need to shill for them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread