Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 7 Ch. 58 - Serie's Instincts

Dex-chan lover
You can tell me what you want but Frieren not passing's gotta be a joke.
Ultimately it doesn't matter and her selection procedure honestly seemed to be pretty arbitrary but oh well.
Also that double magic's pretty interesting, I wonder what the limitations are...
Serie's criteria for passing seems to be bravery, audacity, talent, and ambition.
The ones that failed in the exam did not have enough of those in her eyes, including Frieren, whose ambitions were not the kind that Serie was looking for.

Dex-chan lover
Ultimately it doesn't matter and her selection procedure honestly seemed to be pretty arbitrary but oh well.
Also that double magic's pretty interesting, I wonder what the limitations are...

Limitation would be something similar to Castro (someone Hisoka fought in Hunter x Hunter).
To explain, for such a strong and unique technique, he would have spent most of his life developing it and would be weaker in everything else.

If any of the first class mages jumped him at home, he'd probably lose due to inferior technique, but he'd win in other circumstances.

Dex-chan lover
I am surprised by Denken's gratitude, or was his reaction a throw back to what he said to Richter? Basically that the mage world is built around your connections?

Dex-chan lover
I am surprised by Denken's gratitude, or was his reaction a throw back to what he said to Richter? Basically that the mage world is built around your connections?
You mean when he said he's honored she is familiar with him?
It's like the world's biggest celebrity knowing who you are and taking an interest in you, except you know this celebrity is super old and powerful and doesn't usually take an interest in anyone.

Dex-chan lover
I mean, it's her magical association or whatever. It's not like Frieren herself gives a crap about it.

Dex-chan lover
You mean when he said he's honored she is familiar with him?
It's like the world's biggest celebrity knowing who you are and taking an interest in you, except you know this celebrity is super old and powerful and doesn't usually take an interest in anyone.
I didn't mean when Denken was talking with Serie, but when he thanks Frieren and Fern in the last page.

cgr

Dex-chan lover
I didn't mean when Denken was talking with Serie, but when he thanks Frieren and Fern in the last page.
he means he would have probably failed 2nd exam if frieren and fern weren't there. his gratitude is kind of misplaced though, because frieren's copy wouldn't be there either

Double-page supporter
he means he would have probably failed 2nd exam if frieren and fern weren't there. his gratitude is kind of misplaced though, because frieren's copy wouldn't be there either
But without the threat of Frieren's clone, he might not have been able to convince everyone to work together and it could've ended up as another nobody passes year like all the other times Sense proctored.

cgr

Dex-chan lover
But without the threat of Frieren's clone, he might not have been able to convince everyone to work together and it could've ended up as another nobody passes year like all the other times Sense proctored.
you've greatly misunderstood the situation : Denken only needed everyone to work together because Frieren clone is strong enough to cause multiple casualties if they're not careful.

If the boss is a weaker person, Denken's 4 person group in chapter 50 could probably have beaten it, and then killed the vulnerable demon by themselves, in fact: more people may have passed the 2nd exam if they ended it earlier (though I doubt the extras would pass the 3rd exam)

Last edited:

cgr

Dex-chan lover
(accidental double post, please delete)

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
you've greatly misunderstood the situation : Denken only needed everyone to work together because Frieren clone is strong enough to cause multiple casualties if they're not careful.

If the boss is a weaker person, Denken's 4 person group in chapter 50 could probably have beaten it, and then killed the vulnerable demon by themselves, in fact: more people may have passed the 2nd exam if they ended it earlier (though I doubt the extras would pass the 3rd exam)
If the boss hadn't been Frieren's clone it would probably have been Sense's, which did take out multiple examinees. The question then is whether Denken's initial four person group would have tried to take her without waiting half a day for other groups like they did after immediately fleeing Frieren's clone, and how successful they would've been if they tried. We do know her hair cuts right through Richter's rock walls so he likely would've gone out the same way, and Methode may have wasted time on or left herself open for a futile hypnosis attempt like Edel without info from other groups that wouldn't have arrived til later.

Ubel perfect counters Sense, but she was one of the last people to make it to the bottom and may never even have arrived since clones started respawning before she got there. She and Land could've easily ended up cut off and swarmed without the coordinated clone hunting that was going on by the time they reached the lower level.

And it's also entirely possible that without the singularly overwhelming Frieren clone the demon would've stationed multiple clones to guard its door, which introduces even more variables.

cgr

Dex-chan lover
Sense's, which did take out multiple examinees.
1. she attacked some of them from behind while they are distracted, not a good showcasing of direct combat strength.

2. even if she seemed overpowering as you suggested , it doesn't decrease denken's odds compared to frieren boss, since he could have made the same decision

3. sense being the boss would also mean other examinees wouldn't encounter her wandering around so help would also arrive quickly.

And it's also entirely possible that without the singularly overwhelming Frieren clone the demon would've stationed multiple clones to guard its door, which introduces even more variables.
by this logic, some other examinees (especially Ubel) would probably arrive much earlier since the other clones wouldn't be wandering around, to help defeat them too.

my main point is: frieren didn't really contribute more than frieren's clone hindered the entire group, (and frieren contributed mainly because she wanted fern and her to pass the exam), so denken's gratitude is excessive - (he doesn't lose anything in being extra polite though, so it's fine)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread