Dungeon Meshi - Vol. 14 Ch. 97.6 - Extra - Harta Magazine Anniversary

Dex-chan lover
This is just like space exploration and next gen insitu mission (y)

I feel like this is something of a plothole imo, hunger tends to be one of the first thing people do something drastic with so it's wild to me that eating the less "monsterlike" monsters isn't a wide-spread or at least semi-common practise in dungeon.
I guess creatures made from dungeon magic is still a taboo. I remember the canary elves said they are ok if eating exotic slime cuisines from the surface but not if harvested from dungeon. Fear of magic poisoning maybe

Dex-chan lover
RDT_20240309_2137597727625638540051620.jpg
Bro dragging Shuro like he's some kind of artifact

Dex-chan lover
I feel like this is something of a plothole imo, hunger tends to be one of the first thing people do something drastic with so it's wild to me that eating the less "monsterlike" monsters isn't a wide-spread or at least semi-common practise in dungeon.
people will go to great lengths to avoid eating things they see as "dirty". bugs for example are actually a really nutritious thing to eat IRL, but most western people won't touch them because they're too gross, same with the monsters here.

Dex-chan lover
people will go to great lengths to avoid eating things they see as "dirty". bugs for example are actually a really nutritious thing to eat IRL, but most western people won't touch them because they're too gross, same with the monsters here.
For some, maybe. But when extreme hunger is involved there are other who won't mind (or see it as lesser evil) eating anything. Sure, many such desperation almost always won't yield useful information, but eventually there should be someone lucky enough to find something edible. With revival being a dungeon thing they don't even have to survive their ordeal to spread the info (there's cases of people dying from hunger even after eating something because their body were too weak to digest the food).

Dex-chan lover
"Dirt" is only part of the issue. Much depends on historical, moral and cultural traditions. For example, Muslims or Jews may vomit at the thought of eating pork, while Europeans will never understand the Koreans' love of dog meat. By the way, people in Europe doesn't eat beetles not only because they are dirty. This is also a consequence of the fact that Europe has always had ample food sources, so the idea of eating insects has always been seen as extreme for those starving or without access to regular food. This is not to mention vegetarian cultures like India, where even the very process of killing and cooking animals could be considered immoral and leading to discrimination against you.

So, culinary traditions between people are much more complex than just “ugh, that bug is nasty.”

cgr

Dex-chan lover
But when extreme hunger is involved there are other who won't mind (or see it as lesser evil) eating anything.
it doesn't really happen in this dungeon though, dungeon isn't large enough to cause long term starvation.

there are probably a few monster chefs like senshi around the world, they just didn't compile it into an accurate cookbook/gourmet guide.

overall regular animals are much more plentiful and enough to feed people.

Dex-chan lover
For some, maybe. But when extreme hunger is involved there are other who won't mind (or see it as lesser evil) eating anything. Sure, many such desperation almost always won't yield useful information, but eventually there should be someone lucky enough to find something edible. With revival being a dungeon thing they don't even have to survive their ordeal to spread the info (there's cases of people dying from hunger even after eating something because their body were too weak to digest the food).
Hunger is a separate matter. Hungry people are even ready to eat leather shoes or even each other.
it doesn't really happen in this dungeon though, dungeon isn't large enough to cause long term starvation.

there are probably a few monster chefs like senshi around the world, they just didn't compile it into an accurate cookbook/gourmet guide.
Judging by the way other characters react to this whole topic, there simply is no suitable culinary tradition in their world. Something like eating horses or bears in Europe. Quite unusual and rare, but not something too much disgusting or terrible.

Dex-chan lover
You say extreme hunger, but the first floor with the regular food and the surface are always right there. People can always turn back around. So it's more like diving for pearls or something, they keep track of how long they can go without breathing, and planning so that the tanks they have will last for the return trip too.

Dex-chan lover
You say extreme hunger, but the first floor with the regular food and the surface are always right there. People can always turn back around. So it's more like diving for pearls or something, they keep track of how long they can go without breathing, and planning so that the tanks they have will last for the return trip too.
That's under assumption that everything goes well or they faced total wipe. What about parties that faced unexpected situation and lost their provisions? The dungeon itself can also rearrange its layout so even exploring "safe" location isn't absolutely disaster-proof either.

Dex-chan lover
That's under assumption that everything goes well or they faced total wipe. What about parties that faced unexpected situation and lost their provisions? The dungeon itself can also rearrange its layout so even exploring "safe" location isn't absolutely disaster-proof either.
The early floors don't make extreme changes, that's why the first couple floors have settlements in them, and if you went deeper, then lost your way/provisions, then you are screwed.
Edit: if you're lucky, someone will find your corpse and move you out to get revived, at your expense.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Er, let's reset a bit. People do eat dungeon creatures. This was already mentioned in the very first chapter. In fact, Laios was carrying around a book about eating dungeon food in the first place. Now, the author of that book turns out to have been bullshitting about eating the dungeon creatures himself, but enough of his info is correct to prove that he was getting them from people who actually had eaten dungeon food. Also, one of he most common causes for bandits hiding in the dungeon to go back up is food poisoning, so clearly they too eat dungeon creatures sometimes. The reason it isn't more common is precisely because it's perceived as something only the most desperate dead-enders do, and they tend to end up with nasty side effects from doing it.

Dex-chan lover
Bugs for example are actually a really nutritious thing to eat IRL, but most western people won't touch them because they're too gross, same with the monsters here.
Funny you say that, cause in the NA Western hemisphere, foraging, which would include bug eating, was systemically oppressed for most over here through loitering laws, conservation areas, and laws prohibiting hunting. It could also be seen as another method of control over the populace because they'll have to rely on the systems and institutions that banned those ways of food acquisition.

There's also an active cultural aspect that affected this too, like making it akin to eating something dirty, which I've experienced because I'm a semi-active forager (blame my da & Survivorman for my habits)

Dex-chan lover
Maybe. But there is revival spell within dungeon so died out of hunger in the dungeon and then revived would dulled that survival instinct

Dex-chan lover
I always loved how fleshed out the economic, ecological and sociological aspects of the world were. It makes the world feel really believable compared to all the nonsense series with shitty video game mechanics we tend to see in fantasy these days.

Dex-chan lover
I would like to point out that the places with societies that eat bugs tend to have scarce sources of protein otherwise.

Dex-chan lover
Er, let's reset a bit. People do eat dungeon creatures. This was already mentioned in the very first chapter. In fact, Laios was carrying around a book about eating dungeon food in the first place. Now, the author of that book turns out to have been bullshitting about eating the dungeon creatures himself, but enough of his info is correct to prove that he was getting them from people who actually had eaten dungeon food. Also, one of he most common causes for bandits hiding in the dungeon to go back up is food poisoning, so clearly they too eat dungeon creatures sometimes. The reason it isn't more common is precisely because it's perceived as something only the most desperate dead-enders do, and they tend to end up with nasty side effects from doing it.
Add to that, Laios who does know better, still got sick in the epilogue because he ate the nonedible part of an edible monster, or the poisoned variant that isn't edible.

Dex-chan lover
I never understood why Liaos and his sister or even just himself never went in on their own to try eating monsters since he was so gungho for it

Users who are viewing this thread