Dark Gathering - Ch. 59 - Gathering Spot

Double-page supporter
Oiran was never going to win, but given she accomplished her role of buying time, debuffing Tai Sui and depleting his recovery stock, it was far from pointless. A job well done even.
Yeah, I was expecting this basically from the beginning of the fight. It was going too well - the battles in this manga are nearly all "first 80-90%, one side clearly winning" -> "final 10-20%, asspull momentum reversal", with sometimes the reversal being its own little fight (that often still follows that basic rule at a faster pace).

I was actually genuinely surprised that his recovery stock was depleted... though often when surprises like that happen in this manga it's just because there's a different asspull waiting down the line, so I'm not fully convinced that he's as debuffed as it seems, even when he's the one saying to himself that he's debuffed. Stakes and power levels in this manga are flat out not to be trusted.

When you realize it's written that way, the plot does get a little tiresome to read, but I never tire of the art.

Dex-chan lover
I'm really glad we'll see all the Graduates shine now.

Also I got no fucking clue what the Oiran's new curse did beyond tell her backstory to the god.
i think its like anyone who sees their reflection in the pool has their mind pulled in, and then it basically acts like an acid pool slowly dissolving whoevers trapped in while blocking their way out and mental attack with her own suffering

Dex-chan lover
Damn. I never expected a horror genre can become full blown action. I can't even imagine what the embryo fight will look like.

Aggregator gang
I'm really glad we'll see all the Graduates shine now.

Also I got no fucking clue what the Oiran's new curse did beyond tell her backstory to the god.
It appears to target whoever gets reflected in her lake, then separate the target's "spirit" from their body, then proceed to drain both of them as usual. The body in particular is more vulnerable

Yeah, I was expecting this basically from the beginning of the fight. It was going too well - the battles in this manga are nearly all "first 80-90%, one side clearly winning" -> "final 10-20%, asspull momentum reversal", with sometimes the reversal being its own little fight (that often still follows that basic rule at a faster pace).

I was actually genuinely surprised that his recovery stock was depleted... though often when surprises like that happen in this manga it's just because there's a different asspull waiting down the line, so I'm not fully convinced that he's as debuffed as it seems, even when he's the one saying to himself that he's debuffed. Stakes and power levels in this manga are flat out not to be trusted.

When you realize it's written that way, the plot does get a little tiresome to read, but I never tire of the art.
I wouldn't say the lack of recovery stock is a debuff in itself. Heck, Tai Sui had so many opportunities to just dodge and evade attacks from the Sergeant and Oiran, not to mention use even more lethal force against them. But he loves fighting too much, and finds it more amusing to wait around, take their attacks head on and see what challenge Yayoi's squad could possibly pose, so much so that he essentially wasted his whole stock when they turned out to be stronger than he thought.

If anything, fighting without recovery is just another fun "hard mode" for Tai Sui, and he actually has to bother to dodge and evade now. He effectively threw the war because he was bored, and that's what will allow Yayoi to triumph over him.

Dex-chan lover
i think its like anyone who sees their reflection in the pool has their mind pulled in, and then it basically acts like an acid pool slowly dissolving whoevers trapped in while blocking their way out and mental attack with her own suffering
It's probably more than that. Kugai appears to be the culmination of her entire life of suffering as an unwilling high-class prostitute in the red light district. The full realization that despite her high status, she's still at the end a sexual slave.

Oiran was a beautiful girl loved by her parents, who presumably sold herself to prostitution to save her family. She worked hard and dutifully in her role as a prostitute, rising in rank all the way to Oiran, and was on the cusp of escaping that life.

But she was betrayed, poisoned, and died by the very person she trusted. It was then that she knew. She realized that despite the love for her family, the effort to work as a sexual slave, the will, the strength, even the kindness she gave to those like her, are meaningless.

She gave her all, her everything, and how was she repayed? She was used, abused, wrung dry and discarded like soiled clothes without thought, without help, and replaced by the arrogant, deluded sexual slave that she tried to help. It was then that she knew:

Life is a reflection of Hell, and it is a prison you can never escape. That is her epiphany, her revelation. And that is her curse.

Your soul is dragged into a pool of distilled despair, forced to watch from a prison forced upon you and powered by your own life, as both your body and your soul is simultaneously drained and wrung dry of your very life. All the while literally drowning in a sea of the Oiran's despair and hatred.

It might have had even more effects, but sadly for the Oiran Taisai Seikun is a god who's symbol is Jupiter. A prison of despair does not fare well when blasted by the force of a distilled spiral galaxy

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You know, I'm rather ashamed to admit I did not expect the Face Stealing Ghost to steal Shuten's power.
Fucking badass though. Can't believe I'm as giddy as Oiran here about a serial murderer who likes to systematically cut up people, peel off their faces and wear them.
pvdx6n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread