Dark Gathering - Ch. 56 - Rain

Dex-chan lover
Abe no Seimei is the greatest diviner and spiritualist ever recorded in Japan, it's no surprise that with the benefit of foresight, prep time and a high quality host he was able to stomp even Shuten Douji.

BTW Douman's name is mispelled. It's Ashiya, not Ayashi.

Dex-chan lover
I struggled to follow what was going on in this chapter, but I think it was cool as hell?

I died laughing at the face stealing ghost immediately stealing someone's face - I don't know what I expected from their alliance, but it played out exactly like it should.

2 bunrei of supreme deities plus 5 shikigami with the shiniku buff, Shuten Doji got defeated quickly but the amount of force the priest needed is close to at least 5-6 graduates. Yayoi would be in big trouble if he managed to just walk out of the shrine without the priest trying to take him head on.

Dex-chan lover
I struggled to follow what was going on in this chapter, but I think it was cool as hell?

I died laughing at the face stealing ghost immediately stealing someone's face - I don't know what I expected from their alliance, but it played out exactly like it should.
'I never thought the ghost would take my face', sobs yokai who formed an alliance with the face stealing ghost

Dex-chan lover
I had originally thought the ghost would transplant shuten's face, but it's nice to see that it's worn like a mask lol. Not being attached to the ghost's skin but just something the ghost wear

Edit : Nvm rereading the ghost's story again it's kinda his whole deal

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
i forgot everything that happened in the last chapter inbetween updates oops lol

Dex-chan lover
Kinda disappointing that a big shot in Japanese myth like Shuten got shafted in basically a single chapter. I fully expected him to interfere with the fight against Tai Sai, but I guess the author wanted to tie his end quickly and serve as progression on character and power to Face Peeler.

Speaking of the tunnel ghost, Face Peeler is now cemented as a completely unrepentant serial killing psychopath. It doesn't really matter at this point if he has some sob back story. An entity who relishes on the spectacle of final moments of life is something that should not be trusted at all.

Though funnily enough, he reminded me of Megamind.
Bleached Head: Oh you're a murderous evil spirit alright, just not an aesthetic one
Shuten Doji: Oh, yeah? Well, what's the difference?
Bleached Head: PRESENTATION!

It'd be hard to win against someone with foresight after all.
How complete is that foresight of his, that's the question. The previous chapters sort of showed that Yayoi's victory is not guaranteed, and all Seimei's help is just balancing the scales.
Perhaps this is also part of Seimei's plan. Since it looked like he sealed Shuten, maybe they can use him against Tai Sai?

Double-page supporter
How complete is that foresight of his, that's the question.
I assume it’s like if asked “when will dojo escape?” And “what resources will be around when he does?” That gives him the day and what both sides of the god fight have. Not sure of the rules for foreseeing the future work, but he can put his magic and knowledge to work with guesswork and tipping scales, and if it can changes the future or locks in the future it does minimal damage either way.

Group Leader
Just caught up with the latest chap! Interesting that Abe no Seimei appeared here while I was watching Onmyouji on Netflix, an anime about Abe no Seimei lol

Fed-Kun's army
2 bunrei of supreme deities plus 5 shikigami with the shiniku buff, Shuten Doji got defeated quickly but the amount of force the priest needed is close to at least 5-6 graduates. Yayoi would be in big trouble if he managed to just walk out of the shrine without the priest trying to take him head on.
Ackshually 🤓 , assuming what Yayoi said is true: each shikigami should be equivalent to 0.5 graduates(at least) and after they got shiniku they said they got buff 3 times resulting in a 1.5 graduates per shikigami ! Taking account that Ameterasu and Tsukiyomi's bunrei can one shot buffed shikigamis, I would assume each of them is equivalent to 2 graduates ! Soooo, Seimei actually used 11.5 graduates to insta kill Shuten Doji 🤓

Dex-chan lover
God dayum those panels goes hard. So yeah I get it Shuten Douji lost way too easily, but what beat him was not Yayoi or anyone else in the group, but spirit of Abe no Seimei, in a way his existence was almost Deus Ex Machina. It does feels like a filler, he could have been attacked together with Taisai Seikun and Yayoi calling a truce but I guess you can't do it that way.

Anyway that one poor jobber shinigami that got kicked out because his attribute didn't match deserve a mention.

Fed-Kun's army
Shuten was defeated quickly...kind sad.
But its was more a case of prep time Seimen vs Shuten.
He went plus ultra with a sacrificial move.
+2 bunreis.
It hilarious does put shuten as currently the second strongest character we saw in the series.

Wow that was a boring chapter. Seeing as this manga is just a battle shounen series with spirits now, not unlike Shaman King, I'm not surprised they have "filler-esque" arcs that remind me of those seen in Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, etc.

I kinda feel the point of this chapter is for Seimei to reduce the opposing fighting force. But whether was this the best way to do it. Well, guess we will have to wait and see how the story is written forward. But I personally feel that shuten douji most likely gonna make a come back as a 'gift' to Yayoi from Seimei.

Double-page supporter
Leatherface got a new mask, I don't see any reason for him to power up, are we shaman king now?

So, around 10 chapters for this to end or what? chinese god will get owned in around 4 chapters, then the other 6 for Yayoi's closure :meguusmug:

Users who are viewing this thread