Boy's Abyss - Ch. 171 - Cursed Blessing

My memory is kind of fuzzy, I wonder if he were the reason why Nagi did gravure when she was young? Aeugh

Dex-chan lover
If the point is he’s abusive and making all this elaborate shit up just to torment a child, that’s not a particularly good point.

Like I get why this is happening, but it just feels silly.
I interpeted it as that he genuinely feels this way, and this is actually the way he copes with his survivor's guilt. By apologizing constantly for living.

Him crying and his general demeanor suggests he's not trying to abuse her but he's passing on a fucked up mindset.

Double-page supporter
lol im sorry, this is some of the worst written plot contrivances I've ever seen in a manga, and I've read a lot.

Fed-Kun's army
I'm disappointed in the author. This development is comically rushed and contrived.
Mao is barely a character yet. It's way too much to be so laughably irrational just to traumatize Nagi. Something like this needed several chapters to develop. Show Nagi and her family. Show Nagi living with the uncle. THEN drop this bomb. The biggest problem with this manga is truly the pacing. Slows to a crawl and adds needless developments where unnecessary, but here, the author's blitzing through one of the biggest mysteries? Nonsense.

Dex-chan lover
Mao is barely a character yet. It's way too much to be so laughably irrational just to traumatize Nagi. Something like this needed several chapters to develop. Show Nagi and her family. Show Nagi living with the uncle. THEN drop this bomb. The biggest problem with this manga is truly the pacing. Slows to a crawl and adds needless developments where unnecessary, but here, the author's blitzing through one of the biggest mysteries?
The manga is ending this year. The author doesn't have a choice if she wants to wrap everything up.
Also from the events, Nagi didn't see Mao since she was a younger child, so how would they even build up his character. It also adds to why this scarred Nagi so much.

This guy just appeared again after the earthquake and is either a sociopath or a grief-stricken traumatized POS with pride and ego the size of Jupiter. I do think the author needs to clear this up within the next few chapters though.
It was hinted in chapter 169 that there might be more to him than meets the eye, and in chapter 108, we know he's the one who put Nagi in the entertainment business.

He might have used the situation to his advantage by shackling Nagi with insane levels of guilt and shame for something that isn't her fault to have total control over her for the rest of her life if needed. Similar to how Yuko treated Reiji.

Mao was kind of just thrown in there, but I don't really think there was a way to build up his character except by having a backstory for a character that's not even in the main story. It's clear he's fucked up as well.

I do hold the author to actual explanations for his behavior, maybe before he cuts Nagi off he tells her everything, but by then it's too late and Nagi just blames herself further for not understanding him.

Dex-chan lover
I just realized:
The uncle probably wasn't this much of a dick in actuality. Remember who's telling this: it's a bit of an unreliable narrator.

Users who are viewing this thread