1 time donation option?

Fed-Kun's army
yeah it's pretty easy to cancel(about 4 clicks but you do need to open an email), and you can choose the amount you want to pay at any of the sub levels

Contributor
Crypto is nice but most users couldn't figure it out so the amount coming in from that when it was an option was pretty small. Also there are some added complexities to paying in crypto which may or may not impact the viability of accepting crypto donations.

Supporter
I also tend to avoid subscriptions if I can, however I don't trust myself to remember to do the subscribe-and-cancel dance in a year as suggested by @Aliamus, so I have decided to (again) subscribe. Frankly I'm surprised that who's running Mangadex managed to go this long without asking for donations since payment services were cut off years ago... Hoping many others also donate in order to put MD on a sustainable financial footing.

Fed-Kun's army
I also tend to avoid subscriptions if I can, however I don't trust myself to remember to do the subscribe-and-cancel dance in a year as suggested by @Aliamus, so I have decided to (again) subscribe. Frankly I'm surprised that who's running Mangadex managed to go this long without asking for donations since payment services were cut off years ago... Hoping many others also donate in order to put MD on a sustainable financial footing.
wdym in a year though? the subscription is monthly, you can choose whatever value you want for it(as long as it's equal or larger than the minimum for the sub tier) and cancel it immediately.

Supporter
wdym in a year though? the subscription is monthly, you can choose whatever value you want for it(as long as it's equal or larger than the minimum for the sub tier) and cancel it immediately.
Think I've explained myself poorly, leaving out too many steps of my reasoning.
For a site that has recurring expenses like Mangadex, once-and-done contributions are a poor option because they lead to a mismatch between funding and costs (that must be my accountant training speaking ;)), and sites in that condition end up doing periodic donation drives like Wikipedia.
So if I want to support a site in a ongoing manner but I don't want monthly payments, that only leaves me the option of periodically subscribing for a larger amount when I have the money (such as after the yearly bonus) and then cancelling right away.

Contributor
Havent had any problems with paypal in years while using it.
Back in ye olden days when MD had a PayPal account it was seized because MD is a pirate site and PayPal is legally obligated (in many countries) to not facilitate money transfers to those that break the law.

Edit: before someone says "well xxx does donations via PayPal", it's only a matter of time before they get reported or found out. Then the account will get seized and so money in it at the time will be lost. "Well then just transfer the money out as some as it gets added", PayPal is not dumb to this and will flag accounts that do that kind of thing for further scrutiny. Which usually has the outcome of losing the account.

Last edited:
Contributor
Just going to add my voice and say that I'd love to support the site, but like others here I'm wary of subscriptions. Would be great if a one time donation option could be found.
I would also like to support mangadex. But I would strongly prefer the option of donating one time.
You can subscribe with the amount you want to donate once and then immediately cancel your subscription.

Dex-chan lover
I'd also welcome an onetime option, I was laid off recently so don't think I'm going for a sub until I've had that solved...

You can subscribe with the amount you want to donate once and then immediately cancel your subscription.
Sure. But I don't want a workaround, I just want it to be an option to begin with. And I'd also like to choose the specific amount I want as opposed to predetermined amounts.

Users who are viewing this thread