Mieruko-chan - Ch. 57

Dex-chan lover
Every ghost should be exorcised. Our plane is not where they should exist. Good or bad (including dad), they need to move on. Mr. Seto is tough on ghosts, but fair. Also, his stance on trusting ghost appearances is correct.

Dex-chan lover
Mr. Seto is based as fuck. The true hero of the story siding with humanity.
He's old so maybe he's seen so much shit that he has that kind of stance, compared to the much younger Romm who still thinks not all ghosts are bad. I'm guessing the old man was similar to Romm in the beginning but due to things happening, he developed a harsher way of dealing with things.

Dex-chan lover
I think the issue is that there's no way to actually know when a ghost is actually harmless, since they might look normal or at least harmless right until they decide to attack.
We can probably assume the station ghost wasn't malevolent, but I wouldn't be surprised if we find out she was.

I suspect Mr Seto won't bet hurt but will at least recognize a few ghosts are indeed benevolent due to whatever happens with Miko father when they inevitably meet.

One reason I think Mr Sato won't really be proven completely wrong is because people not moving on and becoming a ghost is basically never a good thing, one common thing with ghosts is that either the person was bad to begin with so they become a malevolent ghost, or they're a decent person who couldn't move on due to some unfinished business, but they inevitably become a malevolent ghost because they're simply not supposed to continue in the world of the living, so they either lose their mind over time or the ghost gradually just degrade into something bad.
At least I don't think the manga will go against this since it's a pretty common rule when it comes to ghosts, so in the end actually benevolent ghosts will still be the exception.
I also think this next arc will finally involve Miko dad and the weird horse thing. Sure it helped Miko a lot of time but there's gotta be a reason he stayed behind in the living world. And what's the deal with that horse?

Dex-chan lover
i think it's clearly what the author want to do with seto "i'm the judge, i'm the hammer" sorta thing while romm so far always have better judgement than anyone else.
the shrine arc prove that romm was right all along but he's too weak to do anything at the time and all other incident he accurately tell which ghost are evil which aren't, how the forest spirit are there to protect and the old man are really really dangerous.
the Station scene prob kinda want to nailed on which ideology they're standing on

the theory of the longer they stays the corrupted they are became is something i was thinking about for a while but the hospital mini-arc kinda debunk this theory.
the mother and daughter passed away early on the dad's life, so they are lingering around atleast for 20 years or so. i think some are easily corrupted if they are evil from the very first but the good people are remained intact until their business are over.
oh yeah, the bald cat lover wife also stay with him uncorrupted, i think only the shrine maiden are succumb to evil even though she's seems like a good person because the circumstance of her death are unethical at best

there's so many stuff to theorize, mieruko and kaya honestly one of fav horror that still ongoing im looking forward for their new chapter release
You should try reading Ura Baito. From a fellow horror manga lover

Dex-chan lover
My theory is that a ghost form has nothing to do with good or evil and more to do with how well they can maintain their emotions & sense of self

Miko's dad, Nyakuza dude's wife, & the hospital family seem to have accepted their deaths pretty easily & are just waiting on their families
The safe combo ghost didn't seem to take it too well & became fixated on said safe combo. Since it seemed to be more worry than anger, it lead to a slow decay until the numbers were passed on, then he was able to move on instantly
Mantis Mom was obsessed & resentful in life and this carried over, twisting her form. There is also the chance that dealing with the resentful spirits of the cats also pushed her mutation along

The Fox's familiars seemed more like they were being controlled, with their appearance being influenced by their controller. Once reminded of her past, she was able to break free, even for just a moment

The little girl is a good example in that I doubt she was a bad person (not impossible, but we got nothing to go on), but she didn't even know her own age, much less what was going on. She was frightened & was already showing signs of decay. Given time, she might have become like the balloon boy: calling out for help & aggressively perusing anyone that eventually reacts
well thats certainly good theory, but so far it's lean toward their nature or circumstance of their death
sensei mother are pure evil and she became really powerful spirit and bound every death cat under gen care
the Cheating couple(and 100% killer) had dozen of their dead ex following and haunting them
the crying spirit on the bridge as romm told the story are killed brutally and haunt the bridge ever since.

so far how the spirit became evil are under their circumstances that led to their death or they are just not good person when they are alive.
i guess their soul could be degraded under some circumstances we don't know yet, but i think the girl are just getting powerful and following seto co-worker can cause her shoulder getting stiff.

and there's some other entity that's probably gonna be important later or hell prob on this arc is what i called "netherworld resident"
my theory they are not a person in first place and coming to real world with some kind of duty
1. the axe guy from the train getting rid possesion the woman beside miko
2. the Gate of hell attendant mitsue can't even see him and the gate
3. the guy with wheelchair during hospital arc carying the family to otherside
4.the scythe guy that almost get romm and miko killed during michiru arc

Dex-chan lover
They are trying real hard to make this guy look bad but...hes clearly a good guy? More so than romm?
He helps everyone out as a "facade" and his bad side is that...he exorcises ghosts? oh nooooo?
Gonna have to make him a high body count ex mafia boss or some shit to make him actually look threatening in the future.
An antagonist that has a zero tolerance against spirits? Interesting. I hope this gets developed, because I've seen things just becoming just really shallow and falling flat on its face.
Yeah this will probably boil down to him trying to kill her dad
Which would be a good thing so you know whatever

I can't help but feel Mr Seto has a point, it's true that at least half the ghosts we have seen aren't outright malevolent and don't attack people, but from what we've seen so far they're not good either.

In case everyone forgot once Miko mistook a ghost for a random boy, that ghost wasn't doing anything outright malevolent, but as soon as he realized Miko could see him he tried to attack her, I think it's safe to assume that vast majority of ghosts would do the same even if they don't seem malevolent.
I think what's important to keep in mind is that judging based on appearances can fool you indeed, but assumedly there might be other kinds of ways to tell if a spirit is dangerous or not. Think of the little girl from this chapter, she didn't do anything when Romm interacted with her. And perhaps Romm was able to tell somehow that she wasn't dangerous.

Whether or not spirits deserve to be given a chance isn't something we've explored much yet (there have been cases of spirits that do good, but we haven't looked at it more broadly), but I'm sure that's what we'll do in this arc.

It's also important to remember that not all psychics (or whatever they are) see spirits the same. It's possible Romm's better intuition is based on the fact that he tends to see the true nature of spirits better (old man). Seto might be on a similar level as Miko, he can see the really dangerous stuff, but also he can't tell by appearance whether or not they are malevolent. After a whole life of dealing with that, he's become cynical and simply exorcises them all on sight.

Another thing that I don't see many people talking about. I don't think he's going to hurt Miko since she's human, but what also makes him someone to be wary of is that he looks like the kind of guy who tries to strong-arm everyone else to do what he wants. He might want to use Miko or force her to operate in his way, or stop her from meddling in his business. But whatever he wants, he probably will use ugly measures to achieve it (I don't think the mafia allusions are just for show).

MD@Home
What makes Seto's stance more understandable and less defendable at the same time is that he refused to see the ghost as the child that she was. He insisted that it was just a ruse, which did not seem to be the case. He's demonizing the ghosts to make himself feel better about what he does.

Users who are viewing this thread