Yancha Gal no Anjou-san - Ch. 170 - Chita-san Wants to Eat Potteto

Fed-Kun's army
I actually liked this Chii-chan chapter. Thanks for the translation

Dex-chan lover
This is the first ever Chii chapter that I didn't hate

Dex-chan lover
the problem with chita is that she's had the most room for development since her very first appearance, and her dynamic with tokio is the EXACT SAME as it was when it was introduced: she likes him as a friend, he likes her as a girl, she's oblivious and just wants to eat food.

we're all tired of the same spinning wheels and the same gags ad nauseum every time they show up. one of the reasons this manga has so many fans is because it depicts (somewhat) realistic relationship progress and not only does chii buck that trend but she's actively interfering in the progress being made by the other couples and resents her friends for it. she wants the opposite of what many readers want, and there's been no shift in that direction despite loads of opportunity.
I mean, let's be honest and say what we're all seeing here. The Foodie Gremlin is for all intents and purposes, turning into a Female Trashzuya...

She's had 👏🏾EVERY👏🏾OPPORTUNITY👏🏾TO👏🏾GROW👏🏾 and flat out refuses to take that leap of faith. She acts less like a wing woman, ready to support her friends in their romantic progressions, and more like one of Peter Pan's Lost Boys.

If she's not careful, she's going to find herself in her 20's, working the same job, while her former girlfriends are off living their own married lives with their husbands, maybe with kids as well, while she still flails about trying to hold on to her misspent youth. Even her "foodie friend," Tokio, will have moved on to someone else, who appreciates his charms ..

Dex-chan lover
The Church of Potetto had their calling with this chapter
“I noticed a thing about your translation.”
“Was the font wrong?”​
“No, the font was lovely. But whenever potteto is mentioned you edit out potteto and change it to potteto” Checks session recording. “In fact, you’ve just done it now.”​
“That’s not a question.”​

Dex-chan lover
Can't wait for chii to start her monster eating training arc and fuck off for 100 chapters

Yup this, hell both Toyo/Inu and Anjou/Seto have had conversations about what they feel ready for vs what they don't & that that looks different for each person/couple is a strength of this manga and fairly realistic.

Tokio is even younger then them all and I think part of his story is folks assuming he's more mature than he is b/c he looks more mature. Like I dunno that Tokio has thought further ahead than being w/ Chi means being boyfriend/girlfriend.
This, and I think the other issue is that compared to the other two couples, neither of them seems to be "in the driver's seat", so to speak.

With Toyo/Inu it was Inuyama who pushed Toyoda forward, not just in the sense of getting into a relationship, but also in a sense that she was able to find something to do with her life through the means of art. In the other case, Anjou has been the force that has made it obvious to Seto that he needs to confront his insecurities and while he isn't over them all the way (IIRC he's still questioning his path beyond high school), his relationship with Anjou has proven to be positive for him.

Meanwhile, Tokio and Chi are just... not that (yet). Tokio is supposed to be the driving force here, but he's too indirect with his feelings and it makes me feel it's just puppy love on his side. And Chita is too set in her ways to catch on to Tokio's hints. For it to work out between the two, Tokio would have to move out of his shell a little and actively pull her in his direction, but I'm unsure how he can make that work.

Or fuck, maybe Chita is gay or aro/ace/both. I wouldn't mind that development either, even if it would be out of nowhere here.

Supporter
Perhaps, she is ace. Regardless, the disregard she shows for someone who obviously has romantic attachment for her is cruelty at this point. I don't care how eccentric you are. If you aren't interested in someone, let them know so they can stop hurting themselves. Otherwise, you're just a selfish a-hole.

Dex-chan lover
Perhaps, she is ace. Regardless, the disregard she shows for someone who obviously has romantic attachment for her is cruelty at this point. I don't care how eccentric you are. If you aren't interested in someone, let them know so they can stop hurting themselves. Otherwise, you're just a selfish a-hole.
Have you never met a teenager before?

Dex-chan lover
I find it interesting how Chii basically shut down in real time at the realization that Tokio does in fact have a life outside of the time he spends with her, and that he could have much more even without her.

She begins to realize how much she’s taken his constant presence for granted, and I think that’s a step in the right direction. Somebody else mentioned how these two need time apart to actually develop and I agree.

Now that Anjou and Toyo have boyfriends there’s going to be a lot of moments where Chii ends up being the fifth wheel. Without Tokio around her loneliness will be compounded and she’ll no doubt have to revisit how she felt in this chapter.

Tokio on the other hand needs time to grow as his own person. He needs to face the reality that Chii isn’t always going to be there and learn to exist on his own.

Dex-chan lover
Have you never met a teenager before?
Immaturity = sexual orientation apparently.

Quite a few people, especially early on with this manga, tend to forget how fucking stupid you are at that age. Hell Seto’s crippling lack of self confidence was one the main things people would bitch about, yet I remember all too well being that age, especially when it came to dating and romance.

Dex-chan lover
Heh, I like Chita. She's fun and it's very common for some teens to have to deal with feeling left out when friends start dating, when that's never been in your radar.

This was indirectly huge for the main and side couple too, now all their friends know they're together, no secrecy bs shenanigans.

How her gluttony was weaponized to make her boss despair and to sway those girls was pretty funny, especially Chita rebooting while eating their fries.

She not only saw that Tokio was attractive but that she might 'lose' him too. Is she fine with that? Doesn't exactly seem so. She marked her territory, whether she recognized it as such yet or not.

I don't remember if Tokio clearly confessed but I think he just gave up since Chita didn't seem interested atm.

I think Chita might be among those teens that paradoxically believed all those romantic exaggerations about couples, so since she never felt big feelings, she might be convinced this whole charade is not for her. When it's supposed to be about companionship, enjoying and choosing to spend as much time as possible with someone — and by that reframing, her relationship with Tokio fits.

Users who are viewing this thread