1000 Yen Hero

Fed-Kun's army
'tis quite an interesting one. I shall await for more.

Power Uploader
Hmm… a let-down for me, I'm afraid. But good luck to the scanlators.

Quaint shonen manga, but the number one thing that bothered me was the villain going straight for his sister's lunch. Like, come on. That's just lazy writing.

Group Leader
Translators are needed to continue this project, please message me if you're interested.

Aggregator gang
@Final
I wouldn't say it's lazy writing.
It's tight writing; sure, he could have had the villain terrorize some other kids first, but he had an awful lot of story to fit into this chapter, which is somewhat long to begin with. So, if he's only going to have time to hassle one kid, make it count, yes? Make it someone we care about, rather than some random student we haven't seen before and won't see again.

@ghostkun
Not overly handsome, i don't think. Not a dog, but not all that spectacular, either. Not classically handsome, but when the proper expression crosses his face, there's an impact. Stealth attractiveness, as it were.

@Weasalopes
You misunderstand. I'm not criticizing the choice of which child to be terrorized, I'm talking about the lunch. Did he really have to go after her lunch as well? It's bad enough that it's coincidentally her, but it also had to be the one item on her already established. Like, come on, how often does a villain interrupt his high-octane villainy to grab a random civilian's lunch. It's just a bit too much. We already cared since it was her, he didn't have to make it the lunch too.

Aggregator gang
@Final
Ahh.

Yes. It was already established that she was there. Thus, in danger; her brother knows, and is moving to intervene. So, why single her out specifically?

Perhaps? Targeting her moves it up to a much shorter time frame for action in regard to her safety, heightening dramatic tension; will her brother intervene in time?

The rationale for targeting her is her lunch; the villain is a bully, bullies target peoples lunches, going for her lunch is a way of showing that he's a real badass, in an infantile way it's a bully pulling an intimidation play. It's definitely a stereotypical bully activity. That it's her lunch targeted, can be argued to strain credibility, but metaphorically flexing his muscles during his monologue, not so odd, really.

ETA: Part of why it would increase dramatic tension is that since her brother made the lunch, there's a reason for her making stupid emotional choices rather than just handing the lunch over. It falls into the trope regarding bullies and lunches, that the targeted lunch carries more meaning than just a meal, that by stealing the lunch they steal the love of the person who made the lunch; thus, greater emotional impact upon the victim. Thus, we needed to know about the lunch in advance, so that we already had that background. It's Chekhov's Gun, to use a term from European literary criticism. That's precisely why it was established in advance that she had it; it wouldn't have been mentioned if it wasn't going to be a plot hook.

But, you may be right, it may just be poor plotting/writing; how the story develops should allow us to determine which it really is.

Group Leader
This series is really interesting, I love the superhero designs in it. Can't wait to read more.

Group Leader
If you'd like to help this series release faster, message me through MD.

I could see this series have its own show after a while as it is very well written and has great characters

Users who are viewing this thread