19th Century Memoir

@Mrs_ruby
[/i belive her disease is called schizophrenia if it is something with hallucinations,though I might be wrong I did not read the raws]

I'm glad that I read the spoilers because before I was like WTF is going on with those 2 amd after reading I was like thank God they are .... you know what I mean

@Mrs_ruby
The breakdown of the parents’ relationship and her having the affair is so sad... They were supposed to love each other. The husband wasn’t perfect but he was such an understanding man. I mean he sacrifices himself to save the child his wife had with another man... But I felt he should have stayed back with her rather than leave her behind for Germany like that... it just all left me really heartbroken.

@Nobody-desu
About Lilian’s mother, perhaps we interpreted things differently but I personally felt that the husband made an effort as he put her name forward but the publishers forced him to remove it even though he pushed to have her name included. The mother started to become resentful and upset as things started compounding. Arnold, Lilian’s father, going first to Germany and choosing that over staying back with her, which she seemed to have demanded of him out of spite. He shouldn’t have left her still. His angry outburst when he was going ahead without her. This might come down to each reader’s personal views, but either the husband was not the strongest ally against the establishment as he caved too easily or that the establishment’s entrenched misogyny was too much for a single man to overcome. So the mother, Helena, lashed out at her husband.

She even has an affair and gives birth to another man’s child, Lilian, while Arnold is working in Germany. He actually sticks by his wife to protect her from greater society who would shun her for having an affair and raises the baby as his own. Ultimately sacrificing his life to protect Lilian.

It’s kind of tragic too that Arnold and Helena’s baby together, William, dies and the only one left is Lilian, the affair baby, but I guess part of the moral of the overarching story is not being bound to the sins of the past.

I forgot something I don’t know how I missed it.. i will just write the information and break it down with reasons and facts. Bear with me it will be long.

About the mother

So, after giving birth to lilian, the mother had hysterectomy operation (where they extract the woman’s uterus or womb).
(And I don’t know the reason maybe in the novel there is detailed info about this like maybe she had complications .etc.)

Anyway, that led her to have a postpartum depression which is a side effect of the operation. The mother was misdiagnosed with Hysteria. And thus given a large amount of morphine ..

At that time she only had depression but because of the misdiagnosis and not treating her depression , it got worse and severe to the point that it became a long term mental illness with permenant hallucinations..

This is all what elliot said in earlier chapters that he is researching mental illnesses and if they are inherited from parents to children.
And in later chapters lilian read that her mother was diagnosed with (Hysteria) as a result of the hysterectomy operation .. and elliot commented that he thinks its misdiagnosis and what she had was postpartum depression and got worse because it wasn’t treated.

@Merymary

I skimmed through the latest chapters again and it said hallucinations .. what lilian had was auditory hallucination (paracusia) which is indeed a type of schizophrenia.

@Zikakuto

Well, she said it cleary to him that she is not a family type,, She wanted her study and thesis and research ..

I think what happened is that all the negative emotions just piled up time over time ..

She wanted what she couldn’t have and said that he betrayed her saying that he will give her happiness , and her affair and lilian and the mental illness made things even worse. ( Of course lilian was not in the wrong, poor lilian)

He knew her dream, but didn’t do anything about it and the fact that he was not there to support her emotionally, and he didn’t know what she was going through. When he finally understood that he should stay by her side, it was already too late for her as her mental illness got so severe.. he did valued his family and may be he forgave her For the guilt he felt for her and leaving them for so long .. i don’t know but he really loved his family and HER daughter.

Both of them were in the wrong, they took their family for granted.

they just failed to communicate and understand each other.. and thus destroyed their family. Truly a sad story

@Mrs_ruby
Yes, looking back on it, your reading of the text is so spot on, I have nothing to add. It's easy as a reader to place more blame on the one who is having the affair that it becomes hard to view things more objectively. And Arnold truly let her down. It's tragic that this could all have been avoided through communication and trust.

I hope once it's properly translated into English, I can better appreciate the nuances that Google Translate can't express.

And yes, poor Lilian 😭. I'm so glad she gets a happy ending.

Now. Ok. No. Gross.
Incest is not WIncest 😩 even if they aren't related they met on the pretext of being SIBLINGS! NO. NASTY! The story is still good and well written bUT DISGUSTANG
sorry for the rant

I still have no idea what's going on in this but it gives me some incredibly strong fatamoru (House in Fata Morgana) vibes and i love it. Can't wait to see how things turn out

i dont know the names so i cant make out what the comments are about but what i really wanna know is that is this manga incest or what becz it would be disgusting then..... i dont wanna read anything even close to incest... so please guys let me know what exactly is it...

Anyone know where i can read the raws?? Please!!

Beware below for spoilers via a summary i read from a korean vlogger. Idk if other people posted it.
**this story has NO INCEST**

Back story - Arnold (william & Lillians father) & helena were scientist. Helena accepted arnolds marriage request after arnorld suggested doing research together as a team. This was a big guesture in a world where women have very little rights. However Arnold commits the ultimate betrayal as a husband and fellow scientist after the birth of William. He presents their findings with only his name (its a misunderstanding, the publishers removed Helenas name)taking full credit and as a reward he was sent abroad to teach. During this time lilian commited adultry and had lilian when Arnold returned. Helena rejected the baby in the beginning. Which is probably why she scolded William whenever he asked about lilian.

lilian is williams half sister - Elliotts father suggest abandoning/ burrying her alive saying shes the child of sin. However her father, Arnold decides to keep her even though Helena wants nothing to do with her, bc she looks so much like her mother.

Helena turns crazy -. Her husband betrayed her, shes mad, rejects her husband & lilian (the reason is bc she gets a hysterectomy & this led to severe post partum depression), addicted to morphine (due to the surgerical/pains), the men diagnose her with hysteria. Back then they thought hysteria was an issue of the uterus, and the treatments were quite torturous & they kept treating her like a sick person. Which made helena hate her husband more. Most importantly, instead of hysteria helena actually had major depression that progressed to major depression with psychotic episode. (This major plot info is what helps our two leads get closer. Bc hes studying the human mind-psychology)

William is dead bc of suicide - william falls in love with Elliott. Being gay was a huge sin and taboo in the19th century + on top of that his adopted "brother." Being unable to live with his feelings of loving his younger adopted brother, William goes back to the "haunted" mansion (former home) and commits suicide. Elliot blames himself for Williams death (idk why) and his obsession to find lilian grew. Which is where the story begins.

Sry for typos. Its extremely late and im bad at typing on my phone 😂

yli

If there have been incest, then the "incest" tag shouldve been put when it was released.
So calm down, theres no incest.
x7.jpg

x8.jpg

The atmosphere of this manga creeps me out........
But it looks sp sp good !!
I honestly love it !

Supporter
@Agirlhasnoname Pub. Status refers to the publication status in the original country, which in this case, the series is finished in Korea. It doesn't mean the translation status.

Double-page supporter
Damn this is really well written compared to other stuff here. And the author dug real deep with their research.

spoiler for the ending
Lillian and the 'fake' William are not related at all but he is actually the friend of the real William, he just feels really guilty for his friend's death, the real William committed suicide and bc I can't read Korean, idk the real reason but I'm assuming it was bc he realized was gay bc there was something going on between real William and fake William (sorry I forgot his name) and it was just really hard for him. After William died, ml felt really guilty and went to find his sister bc when they were friends, William would always speak about his sister and how he would wish to reunite or know how she was doing etc. Idk what fake William's motive is tho like it's really weird but Lillian finds out about her real brother and this dude's relationship- aka lot of drama and reconciling the end.

Users who are viewing this thread