Sniff... I don't care what people say about Rei being forced. As much as I miss seeing more Tadano and Najimi, I'm really enjoying seeing her relationship with Komi blossom. This has been one of the cutest arcs in the manga, and I think Komi and Rei are very much what each other needed. I hope their sister relationship will last a very long time.

Dex-chan lover
@Tikibo I'm playing devil's advocate as usual.

Does that "obvious" has a specified minimum and maximum limit? It doesn't, does it? You can't prove a point with gut feelings.

@CeleryCarrots Thx for the heads-up, fixed.

@Glave Since you're arguing against @Agni who is supporting Kronix, you indirectly summoned me :p

Very true, however the tags represent "comedy", "school life", and "romance" as well. Also that 4-koma is obviously wrong. My argument is that this manga has been mistagged like what Kronix implies. Let us investigate this further, shall we? All these definitions are provided by Google except the second.

Comedy - professional entertainment consisting of jokes and satirical sketches, intended to make an audience laugh.

Okay, interesting. Allow me to ask you a question: does this manga use "jokes"? At first glance, yes. However, I'd argue that wholesomeness =/= jokes; yes, this series warms your heart but most of its comedy has been built upon cliches. My evidence? The character personalities and names. This ultimately makes a very identifiable limit to how far you can develop a character and this series covers that with its extremely large cast to allow it to last this long.

Imagine if only Komi and Tadano are the characters here. This series would only last as long as that one-shot if you scroll down far enough in the chapter list.

This one is from Wikipedia.

The school story is a fiction genre centering on older pre-adolescent and adolescent school life, at its most popular in the first half of the twentieth century. ... Plots involving sports events, bullies, secrets, rivalry and bravery are often used to shape the school story.

This series covers arcs surrounding exams, school trips, classes, etc so this makes Komi-san a school life story, right?

Well I can't argue against

romance - a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love.

Hmmm... where is the romance, exactly? To the untrained eye, they might point out Tadano and Komi's relationship as "romance". However, as someone who writes as a hobby, I noticed a key feature missing from the usual romance genre.

None of the main characters show any signs of liking each other (which are only Tadono and Komi).

If anything, the only source of romance are from the supporting characters (I don't remember all their names, don't kill me): the yandere, the gyaru, "Tadono's sister and Komi's brother" (they're only nice to each other, nothing beyond), etc. Actually, the yandere (is her name Yami?) is practically the only one with real signs of romance.

TL;DR
You pointed out to Agni that this manga is a slice-of-life.
Looking for a debate, I argued against you that this series has been mistagged.
I now have two points while you only have one; in terms of statistics I am more convincing than you are.

I miss Tadano x Komi, but Komi and Rei's developing sibling-esque bond is so damn fluffy and wholesome.

7ZD5kMy.png

Dex-chan lover
awww, come on... just when I thought this couldn't get any more sweet, this chapter happened :)

Dex-chan lover
If you forget who is the child, you can see the spinoff here:(Formerly) Komi-san can't communicate:
Code:
A future where Komi-san and Tadano-kun are married featuring their daughter, Kurochi™

Aggregator gang
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN

each tag shown up there doesn't represent the manga as whole but rather what's included (at least how it used on this site). it probably safe to compare it to ingredient label in the back of food packaging.

i deliberately point that this is slice of life at its core since it's the only thing that could be found in every chapter of this mango. the 4-koma doesn't, but it does present in some occasion, so as how this site use the tag, I don't think the 4-koma tag is mistagged at all.

about your definition of comedy and romance. you killed your own point by quoting 'satirical sketches'. and to make it worst you make it obvious that you're cherry picking with the quoted definition by asking 'does this manga use 'jokes'' to justify your point. and romance. you are already being unbelievable by trying to put a specific definition to it. and by quoting wikipedia of all thing. its like taking a steaming diarrhea on the grave of every literati and philosopher ever.

if you're still a uni student, please refrain using wikipedia for source. no matter how much point you have in your thesis, if its bs, its bs. and more bs doesn't equal convincing.

Double-page supporter
komi has feelings for tadano and tadano has feelings for komi, its been shown already. so the romance tag is correct and dan the pseudointellectual needs to stfu.

Users who are viewing this thread