@Kamelpov: i'd say it's depend really, bigger and long lasting one is certainly better. But generally most of the castle is generally like this. The whole point of a castle is that they themselves generally act as the last fort. So even lower noble have their castle and unless you are very rich most of the time the castle is rather modest.

Double-page supporter
For poor nobles they do a motte and bailey castle.
@dragon1412 and watchtower with warning signal would either have fire or if it's like this one have a alarm that is protected from archer shot like
ancient-wooden-watch-tower-fortification-14695266.jpg

And more than 2 guard in tower as common and should be hard to shot as observation hole is small enouth to peep and be under cover so one stay near the bell and see his friend get shot at worse and there are locked doors too against invaders.
Evenmore this castle in this series is always raided by barbarians and should be bigger in fortification and even wall would have protection against blizzard as they expected that so add a roof on that.
And https://mangadex.org/chapter/569505/1 we can see that castle is not even near to motte and bailey design so it's an epic fail.

@Kamelpov: hmm that's a reasonable point. But consider the wall is supposedly stones and stand high, i'd say most of the high wall i see don't have defense against arrow or only having basic guard since it's very hard to shoot from below to the top of the wall due to the gravity and wind at work. Of course, this is a debatable point since we don't exactly know how tall these wall in the manga is.

There is also issues of low motivation and work attitudes, remembers, most of the guards thinking the Barbarians won't come this year and lower their guard. You should also count the issues of climate since snow can seriously hamper one's vision.

Double-page supporter
@dragon1412 in worst case MC can set that wooden guard post in fire as he has magic so a fireball would to the trick. Or use a blinding light or sound effect spell.

Double-page supporter
@dragon1412 the bad side is this series are on the lower side of magic because they don't have substitute magic sculpture that break if someone die and some other dead hand spell like corpse explosion.

Those Estebans are pretty cool. I wonder what their women look like.

Yo @dragon1412, stop talking about medieval castle design when you don't know anything about the subject please, thanks. This is very lazy design with very little research behind it.

@Ecksydee: I'm pretty sure i seen enough image and read enough history to have a basic understanding about it though, I agree that most of my knowledge come from documented movie and tv analysis but i don't think just saying i don't know anything about the subject is accomplished anything. The design is lacking sure, but we only see a part of the wall and a portion of the mansion and have guess the rest. Frankly, if you don't want me to talk about it, provide factual basis why i am wrong or evidence that i make a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread