5Toubun no Hanayome - Vol. 10 Ch. 83 - Sisters' War - Sixth Battle

Group Leader
Glad to see /a/ still going strong here. I would have been really damn upset about having to read Dropout's stuff~

Fed-Kun's army
@AKAAkira - BULLSHIT! There is really NO difference between those two versions of the translation that you cited! To say that the second gives a "more complete picture of the subtext" is just a matter of opinion, (and you being an arrogant dick.) There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with my language comprehension! I'm a college-educated, native English speaker.

@greatninja3 - Well good for you. I found no appreciable difference in the narrative of the story between them.

BTW - How do EITHER of you know which one is the more accurate translation, UNLESS you have seen the raws and can read Japanese, (in which case, WHY would you be reading a scanlation?)

Wait.. WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!

It's absolutely not the same chapter thant the other one, it don't seems big but with that translation, Fuutarou just knows it's not miku, after all she is the only one he can tell appart.

But I'm not sure anymore about what I'm saying, did the first chapter got edited? I got that feeling when trying to spot the differences and some sentences are not the same that what I remember.

@rodork dropout got called out on /a/ about the shitty translation and they've been changing things left and right. The same thing will happen for the next chapter, they release early with a shitty tl for the views and then once the readers points out their mistakes they sometimes fix them.

n_b

WAIT A SECOND
First dropout TL was shit and didn't got the part of megane asking Ichika about history right, also how did Miku end up in E
aaaaaaaaaa 2 weeks without knowing

@christineGuinn If you want any fact about how bad was the first translation, the only proof you need is that dropout made an update and changed a lot of things. Now the two are way closer but there was a huge difference between them beforehand. Maybe it's hard for you to catch it but there are subtilities with the sentences used now.

Beside, understanding what is saying is only a small part of the translation, after getting what's saying you have to write it in a way for people to enjoy while conveying the first language feelings. And it seem from the comment that a lot of readers (including myself) enjoyed way more the /a/ translation (It was a good chapter when I first readed it but I went in my "fangirl mode" during the /a/ reading, that's a huge gap).

And you must be able to read the raw if you know better than anyone here that the first TL was as good as now, why are you here, trolling the ones enjoying the show?

@Monthymoth Oh, thanks for the precision.

Fed-Kun's army
What's going on at the end there? Right before, it paints Ichika as a snake, with her overhearing Fuutaro saying he was going to pick the E course and writing in her choice as E.

Then cut to the day of the courses, and now she's in D, with Miku going to E with Fuutaro?

I've read this chapter like 5 times, because I love how he just blows Ichika and her snake ass ways out of the fucking water. But I can't make sense of the end there.

If the next chapter reveals that Ichika somehow made Miku go on the E course, I think that whole show of Ichika writing in her choice knowing what Fuutaro chose is horseshit writing to rile people up for no reason.

Still though, looking forward to what's coming next.

@ChristineGuinn

Given discussion I heard from college/university students preferring to take "birdie" courses, I would wager that "college-educated" is not anywhere near a distinction of competency as you pretend. Plenty of people who sit through classes, cram as little or as much as they need for for the exams, and not actually learn anything in the end.

I have similar sentiments with the expression "native speaker". It indicates you're likely to speak the language very well, but that's easily as a result of instinct or experience alone, not actual knowledge; I personally found that being a "native speaker" means fairly little to your ability to critically examine the use of language. You would be just one example of it.

As a reference that clearly enunciates the differences between the examples I pointed out:
[ul]"A teacher came by to pick us up" should be used preferentially if the act of the teacher coming by was relatively insignificant on their part; to say "My teacher had to come pick me up" makes it more evident that this was an act the teacher was forced into, and gives a little more of a hint that there was some communication between the teacher and young Fuutarou where this arrangement was decided.[/ul]
[ul]Similarly, "We passed the time in a spare room" is a nonchalant presentation of events, and gives the impression there was nothing urgent about to come up. "I waited in a spare room" is a more neutral phrasing, but works with the previous sentence to indicate that this was likely the result of an order from the teacher Fuutarou communicated with.[/ul]
[ul]Lastly, "The teacher gave us a mouthful back then" has a less intense word choice compared to "My homeroom teacher ended up chewing the hell out of me", so it completely skews the reader's idea on how much trouble Fuutarou ended up in. Because of #dropout's previous sentences choices, it also makes it more ambiguous if the teacher "gave them a mouthful" specifically over Fuutarou ditching his group and itinerary, rather than something else; to assume so would still be reasonable, but it leaves open other, less relevant, possibilities for the scolding (such as for playing cards rather than just sitting and waiting until the teacher arrived). 5toubun sc/a/ns, because it was already set up earlier by their sentences choices that indicate each party was forced into their actions, forms a stronger connection between the teacher's scolding and Fuutarou's initial transgression, which is what makes it the stronger presentation. And #dropout using "gave us" rather than "gave me" was just a plain mistake, though they seem to have fixed that since.[/ul]

Keep in mind that this is only one example from one page and, even leaving aside the just-plain-wrong translations (before they were fixed at least), there were a few other parts where I got the sense that the wording gave an impression that was different to what the original JP meant. This kind of stuff is insidious because, especially in a text-light medium like manga, it's the subtlest differences that's the hardest to pinpoint explicitly that can warp your understanding of the characters and events until the point a work of art loses coherence.

I know enough Japanese to read the raw, and I assume a couple other people do too. I still come here to read the translations, partially because of the end-credit memes (before the recent sour note), but more importantly because reading other peoples' translations help corroborate and refine my own understanding of what I read. If the translation I read is superior to what I would have done, great - I got a learning experience. If the translation is inferior though, the least I could do is call them out on it so other people will know what they're missing and/or, especially in this case, how much of an asshole #dropout as a whole is being.

@christineGuinn """college educated""" i doubt it was anything worthwhile if you can't understand such simple things. Also, am I not allowed to read TL'ed manga just because I know moonrunes? Are you perhaps the so feared manga police division?

@ChristineGuinn How about page 18-19?

dropout:
Code:
You like Japanese history too, don't you?
Code:
Ichika-san
This question implies the black hair girl already KNEW that the person she's talking to likes Japanese history, hence the "don't you?". This is completely nonsense.

5toubun sc/a/ns:
Code:
So you like Japanese history too...
Code:
Ichika-san?
This translation make way more sense, as the question shows that black hair girl was surprised about Ichika's presence, because that means Ichika likes Japanese history, which is unheard of.

This actually had me confused yesterday.

Double-page supporter
@instant_noodle dropout's translation of "You like Japanese History too, don't you" is absolutely correct if the intent of the page is to build suspense and make the reader think that the girl is talking to Miku, who does indeed like Japanese history; which, is exactly the point of that page. You're supposed to be lead to believe that Ichika is still actively backstabbing and scheming against her sisters, and purposefully selected group E, such that when you turn the page and find out that Group D's sister is not Miku but Ichika, it will come as a shock and as more of a genuine character moment. That you missed this does not in any way make Dropout's translation of that line bad.

@ OldmanJables What? You're making no sense at all. Again, according to dropout's translation, it implies "Ichika likes Japanese history" is a known fact, and other people are not surprised to see her in group D. How could this, until this chapter, be a thing?

Yes I do understand the kind of situation author wants to build up, thank you. But that doesn't change the fact dropout's translation make zero sense compare to 5toubun. You're just trying to divert the conversation to "yeah bro it just over your head" rather than analyze the actual meaning of those sentences.

Users who are viewing this thread