5Toubun no Hanayome - Vol. 13 Ch. 113 - The Last Festival - Fuutarou's Side

My faith in romcoms has been restored. I was ok with anyone except Itsuki, who to be honest was never shown to have romantic feelings for Fuuts. In fact, she was unmistakenly shown to be a Yots supporter until this arc for red herring purposes. Bravo Negi.

Sometimes we have to admit that some heroines deserve the MC bowl even if they are not our personal favourites. That Tenri reference in the afterword summarizes my feelings, this time the manga didn´t irreparably fuck up at the end.

Seriously idiots? It's obvious.
It's already revealed since the anime aired.
Ayane Sakura already gave the clue and nobody believe it?

I didn't even follow this manga except for theast several chapters and I'm so fucking happy Yotsuba won. SO FUCKING HAPPY

Dex-chan lover
So first girl won, and well deservedly so.
Tbh I'm OK with anyone of them, except for Itsuki because that would make no damn sense.

>falling for obvious bait and switch
kek
But nevertheless 23 are pretty much over with them consoling each others.

Dex-chan lover
And just noticed that Uesugi was holding a can of juice back then during Ichika's side 2nd chapter. Juice = Yotsuba.

I actually don't mind for whoever won in the end, but really glad that it's Yotsuba. Girl deserved it.

I certainly hope that there's no more twist after this chapter regarding the one girl. That would only hurts Yotsuba's fans at this point.

Dex-chan lover
Controversial Opinion:

I don't like the ending. I think it goes against the themes of the work and the concept built up to thus far. I genuinely would have preferred if we never got a reveal for the bride and it was left ambiguous because it doesn't matter. The point of the novel was always about the characters, their struggles and their relationships to one another. I think giving us a clear-cut ending undermines that as it removes the idea that each of the characters has their own reasons for liking one another. They're each five parts of the whole and it could be anyone of them. The use of ambiguity would have been better as it would have allowed us to more thoroughly analyzed each character's relationship with one another, given us reason to more deeply look into them and why they may have fallen for Fuu, but this way kinda just resolves it which is less interesting.

The the core messages thus far have been about family and the girls in how they interact with one another, the struggles of working together as a family and how it relates. It's nothing against Yotsuba, though I think they could have been developed a BIT more for one another personally, but the beauty of it possibly being anyone is that it gives that core family aspect and only knowing who each girl is when you grow to love them more depth. We, the audience, don't love the girls, we're merely outside observers. It would have been stronger if only the characters knew and we were left to guess for ourselves, deduce based on context clues, how they address and speak to one another and hints in the story, but no clear answer.

I previously have said that I thought the ending would be a harem ending, not because I thought it would be better, but because I thought such an ending had more build-up. Make no mistake, whilst I think that would have been cheap, it still would have been more textually and thematically consistent than this. This ending I feel is a bit unsatisfying, as I think it makes the novel too plain. If you were to get spoiled, most of the books would be weakened and re-reading it would be less entertaining and charming. You lose out on the constant guess of "who will it be?" or "who will he choose?" Now, you won't watch the other four characters as closely as they grow to love Fuu because there's no point. It's a shame, but it weakens the literary merit and story of the novel. I am a strong proponent that such core questions, such forefront ideas of a work should never be answered in a work, but be built up, expanded upon, and developed to the point where the audience draws their OWN conclusions. Some of my favorite pieces of fiction use ambiguity to convey their themes. Hamlet gives no clear answers, but only shows select, relevant scenes so you can piece together the key details. Invisible Man never explains its core metaphors or what will happen when the narrator comes up from his hiding. The Things They Carried never addresses questions like "Did O'Brien kill that man?" Because such important ideas and concepts are better left unanswered. Answering such questions in a story only makes it weaker, and this is a case where having a clear answer weakens the overall work in my eyes. It should have ended with him touching the door, jumping back to the wedding and having a shot only focusing on the Fuu's sister, father, and the girls' adopted father, hammering the theme of family and the importance of it and how it ties people together, before ending.

Works are better in my opinion when not every question is answered, but deliberately so. Not in such a way to cause plot-holes or to leave important exposition out of the hands of the audience, but that each member can have their own interpretations that validate that perspective and facilitate further discussion and literary dissection of that work. I definitely think that it weakens the entire series overall for this, and that because of it, a once beautiful story that could be analyzed, dissected, and discussed as a great piece of fiction gets ruined a bit because of the core message being defied and a definitive, objective and in-text piece of fiction reveals the truth for us. It's a shame, really, because once such a question is answered, I don't think rereading, interpreting, or discussing the core themes, ideas, and complex character interactions will be NEARLY as compelling or frequent as they once were. If you had gone into this manga and someone told you "it's the girl with the bunny ears," I think that would ruin the experience. And I don't think I can read this manga again because of it.

This is not to say the manga is bad, it's still one of the best mangas out there and I thoroughly enjoyed and was entertained by what I got. I just think the ending weakens it significantly and that a good author knows what to reveal and what to keep vague, as storytelling is just as much as what you don't show as what you do.

I know I will get shit for this, but I feel like it deserves to be said.

Dex-chan lover
This is gonna be some work stuff about the last day of the festival since they were the two class reps and I'm gonna laugh at the comment section being twice as large as this one.

Fuck Negi. The girl that win shouldn't be the one that deserve it. Talking meta is just bad writing an author could possibly do, and worse part he would certainly will try to justify it with flashbacks.
Fuck 5toubun sc/a/ns. You don't purposedly pick a quint and spit on her because of your spat with former member.

Aggregator gang
I'm happy that she won but I'm crying for the others. I hope there is a doujinshi for each of them or a harem doujinshi like the Ichika doujinshi I read here.

I seriously want each individual routes and especially the harem route!

Guys accept it already, there were hints even in the frigging anime ending, orange is yotsuba
N1V4HfV.png

So Futs' friend asked him who he could tell apart first, hinting that's the quint he loves but wasnt it Miku he could tell apart first, albeit barely? Will we get a flashback that shows him telling Yotsuba apart first or something? I hope so or it doesnt make sense, or maybe I'm forgetting something.

Well if we think about it he did get Yotsuba first because she's the worst liar ever

Dex-chan lover
"I understood that reference." The World God Only Knows felt like a century ago when I finished it.

And wow, Yotsuba, huh. I don't really mind if she's the end girl. I just hope Negi gives this more sense than that father issue arc.

Dex-chan lover
@InvinCybul Yotsuba was the first "raina" that met him when they were both kids at the temple (thus first girl). She was also the first "raina" that "reappeared" when he needed help with shit. Even if you don't count that then Yotsuba was the first one to meet him in the cafeteria at the new school they got transferred to (refer a couple chapters back, he technically met her before the others even before isanari got involved). Everything I said is true. If you don't believe me then simply reread EVERYTHING in one sitting and don't forget shit and accuse me of making stuff up. It's all there in the background if you paid even the smallest amount of attention. And even if you didn't pay attention in one of the more recent yotsuba chapters they outright did a flashback montage of all the shit she's done both in front and behind of the scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread