Dex-chan lover
@tempshempo crappy yes, crappier no and definitively safer.

@Kathartes I am not judging her value,, I have nothing against prostituion per se. I am judging her stupidity on choosing to keep doing something completely dangerous which will give her no benefits at all when she has safer options.

@Faryshta It’s not safer lol. Where is your proof that his attitude towards her, as a maid-slave, wouldn’t progressively get worse as she predicted herself? If you can’t see why it’s a bad idea to willingly become some otaku’s, wish fulfillment seeking weirdos, “slave” then you lack foresight.

Also over the course of this whole thing, you’ve failed to debunk any of my reasoning. All you do repeat “But it’s safer” which there isn’t a guarantee.

Double-page supporter
@Faryshta
So every firefighter is stupid because they chose such dangerous job? Or there should be no astronaut since they could go kaboom! before leaving Earth's atmosphere?
You're judging everyone who doesn't choose the easy ways as stupidity.

Group Leader
Given what we've seen so far, with some near future and reasonable inferences (don't remember exactly what's been presented so far relative to the LN), Chiba probably is a safer, more predictable option... he views himself as a good-type isekai protagonist, has the strength to back it up, and is successful at what he's doing. He also kind of idolizes her, while being rather stupid, so as long as she flatters his ego he's unlikely to get too rough nor toss her (nor the rest of the harem he'll undoubtedly form...) aside. He's not the worst choice she could make, assuming that the legal state of 'slave' doesn't come with a pile of other unpleasantries we haven't been introduced to yet... maybe persuade him to buy her out without formally enslaving her.

@Harvester I’m sorry, but no. Chiba’s first word out of his mouth was “slave.” I was willing to give him a chance in chapter 1 up until that point.

When he quickly corrected himself and changed it to “maid” to save himself from her being angry, then in my honest opinion that showed his actual train of thought for what he wanted down the line.

Also if he wasn’t selfish, but decent person he wouldn’t need to be persuaded out of the slave-maid scenario.

Group Leader
@tempshempo I'm willing to give him a semi-pass on that one-- he's dumb, and I've made a fair number of cross-cultural/lingual snafus* before... given the male/female dynamic of that world, it's possible that there is no word for a maid/female servant other than 'slave' and he accidentally used it with her. Despite that, if he did intend it as 'slave' with all that it implies to modern US standards (which I'm not actually sure about-- Japan, at least in the manga-esque fields, seems to have vastly different standards for what slavery is, though I suspect this world is fairly close to what we're thinking), it still makes him more consistent and predictable which can be a preference to unpredictability. Not that it's necessarily better, but it's a state that some people find preferable.

*Fun fact: In some cultures, the term "movie shorts" is roughly equivalent to "thin books". That was a fun conversation about brand promotion that rapidly devolved into damage control.

Edit: Also, when I said 'not the worst', I meant that fairly close to literally... he's not the worst. There are better options... but at the same time, it's not as though choosing to hide behind him is absolutely unjustifiable either. He's just... not the worst possible option.

Double-page supporter
@Harvester
Chiba doesn't idolize her. He was a loser while she was on upper caste in their school, so now he wants to obtain her as some sort of achievement.
Btw you seem to misunderstand her position. She's selling sex service, but nobody owned her, thus nobody could buy her. Unlike other girls who got sold by their families, Haru just walked there and asked Madam for work. She could take a break or quit if she wanted to.

Hmm there's a lot of sex but it doesn't feel like hentai to me.. I think it's cause I feel sad that this is what some prostitutes have to endure in order to survive and prostitution is statistically a dangerous job since killers often target them as easy marks. There's also a chance of STD, abusive customers, and societal scorn.

Group Leader
@Kathartes I'd still call it idolization, even though it's a rather twisted aggressive-possessive type. He wants to exert power over her, not destroy her, which circles back to my outlook of his personality that as long as she panders to his ego consistently, he'll be more or less satisfied. Despite how he comes off to everybody else, he still believes he's a fairly good guy, so there should be lines he won't cross.

And... yeeeeeah, I was rereading Kusuriya no Hitorigoto, which does have ownership (or themes close enough) as a central point a few times, on the same flight and somehow ended up combining elements of the two on the same layover... that, and a quick sanity check suggesting the idea that she'd intentionally lower her social position for free didn't pan out. Whoops.

Dex-chan lover
@tempshempo compare the sex scene in chapter 1 and the sex scene in chapter 3. Tell me in which one her life was in danger

@Kathartes she is not fighting to protect anything or risking her life for any benefit in the long run.

Using your analogy if she were just fighting for no reason and risking her life when there are other options then yes I would call her stupid and I doubt you would disagree

Double-page supporter
@Faryshta
You only see benefit as some material gain, then indeed it looks like she fights for nothing. I saw her fighting to uphold her principle, so gotta disagree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread