Dex-chan lover
The whole "but he trained harderer" trope needs to go away.

Sure you can possibly do that for an exercise in dexterity but you're likely to become sloppy pushing yourself like that and become worse developing bad habits.

In cases of training the body itself it's impossible. Optimal results are achieved with a specific balance of rest and training, skewing the balance either way will lead to reduced results. Sure most people will never go anywhere near the point of skewing towards too much training, and therefore could improve with more, but that doesn't change the fact that too much is counter productive.

Developing muscle, bone, whatever means stimulus (training) followed by giving the body time to rebuild+improve. Calluses are probably the easiest example. If you just tear your hands up all day every day you'll never grow calluses; you'll just injure your hand. Conversely if you hold/lift heavy stuff with a rough surface like a knurl for some time each day, you'll grow calluses and it won't hurt anymore.

@Swift
We have clones, superhumans that can break walls and stones with their first, also guys with the weapons in the bodies...Hell, here people hit by hammers in their heads.

Group Leader
This manga follows its own internal logic (as all good series do). Real life doesn’t belong if it gets in the way of a good story.
Who cares if it’s unrealistic? My suspension of disbelief stands strong.

Also, Gaolong spent a year training JUST his fist. I can believe that, in a year, he could train just his right fist to be that strong.

Dex-chan lover
In a manga with transformation states based on unlocking brain limiters or increased heart rate using kung fu, doctors who can survive a broken neck and extendo blades inside their arms, clones, and people who can consistently leave craters in concrete walls with a single punch...

You're frustrated with a dude training his fist for a year to harden it?

@Dijon
Tbf, just cuz you don't care doesn't mean others won't and @Swift might be reading the wrong manga if he wants realism but he has a point. The "just train harder not smarter" trope isn't always great

Group Leader
@AnimationDude
Yeah, that’s fair. And I’ll admit to cutting this manga a ton of slack because it’s so freaking cool.

I don’t really get the “harder not smarter” criticism though. If it works and looks cool, then who gives a damn? Gaolong taking a note from Saw Paing’s book is just so awesome. This plays into my suspension of disbelief again, though, and my love for the characters (disclaimer: Gaolong and Saw are up there in my favorite characters list)

thats some steel abs right there, shoudlve gone for the liver, nigga would be out in no time

Dex-chan lover
This reminded me of Baki, where Muhammad Ali jr. punches the sandbag so hard that he fixes his broken hand bones

Group Leader
@BasilD
I don’t remember that at all, but I have absolutely no difficulty believing that happened. Baki’s one hell of a manga

@Kirin-kun of course I agree with You, you shouldn't do something like this at home from just the idea of doing it, without any correction/mentor (not counting in those "how to make a deadly weapon from your hands" youtube videos, I meaning a teacher who is there and can stop you). 1 wrong punch, with enough force towards a hard substance can make serious damage to your hands :( :D
And since someone who just decide to start it, usually doesn't know how to pull punches or how hard s/he should do it, the risk is truly high.
I just saying that I had my fair share both from the scientific/medical point and from the actual doing training like this (11year of kyokushin). And, controversal or not, in some (small precentage of the) cases it can be a viable method. Mostly cause of how easy to damage your bones in your hand in an actual no-gloves style fight. And comparing the in-fight breaking (usually a more serious one) with a correctly followed "iron palm/fist" training, the second will be the better option almost all the times. Plus a given bonus is the somewhat faster after-fight recovery and the included discovering of how hard can you actually punch without damaging yourself (towards lowering the rick of a serious wound).
It's still gonna be dangerous (even though, this type of "bone hardening" can't really be achieved by doing a variety of things, from the core, it will involve some kind of "shattering" just the amount will differ) and not necessary worth it, even for pro fighters cause they will not likely to fight without gloves, but for those, who does fight without it, it can make their career longer/on going and probably after retiriment the will end up with "more healthy" hands.

people acting like they forgot he was a world champion muay thai athlete before he became a boxer.

keep in mind while yes the whole logic of practicing for a year making his fists strong is stretching reality, being able to train something like that solo isnt when you take into account he isn't some random joe schmo who's trying to learn to punch, he is a literal world class striker he knows how to throw a proper punch and not damage his hands.

Users who are viewing this thread