Damn, this scene is very different in the WN

Thr old dude didnt directly push our Mc to buy her and our Mc shit-talked the magician real hard, the manga version is pretty disappointing in comparison

@DeathDonut, that's so MC-plot-convenient... 850 for a bag of food, 6k for 1 bag of rice, then suddenly 100 million for a criminal slave... The merchant practically could sell millions per criminal slave, then non-criminal slaves could be sold even higher, and the merchant didn't even give a discount despite trying to save the girl, basically the whole economy and psychological aspects are so... neglected, to describe it kindly. If monster drop golds, there should be many adventurers and it's a big industry too along with the slave industry... I suppose it's that kind of low-tier convenient feel-cool isekai that it's shouldn't be taken seriously...
Regarding disassemble the bandits, I think it's likely that he wanna test his normal fighting abilities to check the fighting levels of the other human/humanoid beings, given his monologue "why was it so easy" after the fight. The skill is kinda like a trump card too I suppose he learnt how to fight with a katana for most occasions that don't worth the efforts to physically touch the targets, and maybe he doesn't want to turn those bandits into food too...

Dex-chan lover
@JohannesKT but thats how bail works

@Rayster don't forget how they summon "money" aka heroes from another world, how does that fit into this wacko economy

Dex-chan lover
So he's got food instead of a shield, wears Kirito's edgy clothes, and has a talking demon blade all on top of buying a slave.

@Valve, thinking about that now, I'm wondering if summoning heroes is a way for the countries to gain more power to fight monsters and earn monster drops (golds among maybe other things like the lucky draw from the dragon in chp4), kinda like gacha games where players "summon" characters. In that sense, I can somehow "get" the concept much like a gacha game idea and overlook the economic and international political aspects (which could be just not elaborated but actually happening behind the scene, not witnessed/heard by MC from his perspective, at least for now). With that said, it still doesn't make much economic sense to have S-rank heroes to cost 40+ millions in a big international auction (which supposedly should be a large investment bid by a country and 40+ millions would make enough sense for S-rank heroes) but a criminal slave costs 100 millions... I'm kinda lazy to analyze this story so much now and just gonna see where the story goes as long as it's still entertaining and accept that it's that kind of isekai.

@ctt1, I was thinking along that line too but then I thought 100 million is just too much though, considering that a country has to gather millions to buy a summoned hero, then a presumably son of a non-duke noble house is unlikely to even have enough resources or permission to even use 1 million to get a criminal slave in the economy where 6k/bag of rice is considered as a luxury... MC using 5~10 millions would have already been more than enough and that'd still within a reasonable range with that motive in mind... It's not like MC knows the girl personally or it's sooo easy to earn 100M or he's that motivated to spend that ridiculous amount of money that cost him time and efforts to accumulate and could have been better spent on his primary objective which is to revenge.

I'm pretty sure its running off Yen here basically. But also they didn't explain his equivalent exchange here at all. Its how he turned various skins into a outfit and can also use just plain mana to make things and skills though its exceptionally draining without the 'raw ingredients' of the thing he wants to make. I don't recall precisely how he got his money but I AM fairly sure by this point the man can literally print money and thats ignoring that he kills monsters in the death forest that others don't dare encounter much less fight and can then sell their materials.

@Chaeden, so convenient and so much necessary explanations were skipped in manga 😒 lol thanks anyway

@Rayster " that's so MC-plot-convenient... " Honestly, I've seen FAR worse, and for a moment I wondered if there's a chapter missing.

Those kind of works most of the time are best enjoyed when you dial down reason and just watch the hero wreck things due to broken abilities. For example, "Isekai to Tomo to Smartphone ni" and "Death March Kara" falls there. They're 4/10..5/10 at best when it comes to story quality, but can be mildly entertaining due to hero being completley broken.

More serious ones are less common. I still haven't finished "Saihate no Paladin", and can't remember that one where MC was raised by an elf herbalist in a forest.

@DeathDonut, Yea I agree there are far worse ones and this is still bearable for me so far, I guess it's because I haven't seen any cringey super annoying dumb character yet (which may or may not debut later) or the non-stop "accidental" ecchi scenes. I can still continue with this series and see where it goes for its rpg fantasy settings and revenge objective premise. Honestly, recently I feel that Korean Manhwas are getting so good that, on average, the quality of Korean-manhwas pretty much surpass Japanese-mangas' already. Pretty fine story, fully colored (which really helps facilitating the presentation, atmosphere, expressions, magical effects and coolness too), fancy costume designs especially dresses, some are really consistently well-drawn like Solo Leveling and Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint (Chinese manhuas are fully colored too but a lot have kinda tacky stories and a bit less consistent with its drawings). Japanese manga industry may need to step up their game tbh.

@Rayster " the quality of Korean-manhwas pretty much surpass Japanese-mangas' already" It might feel this way because only top korean stuff gets translated, while in japanese we get a lot more average and bad. Doesn't explain bazillion of translations of chinese cultivator manhuas (a lot of which are trash tier), though. Basically there might be novelity factor.

For example, compare "Solo Leveling" to "I am the Sorcerer King", "Tomb Raider King", "Rebirth of 8th circle wizard", "Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon", "The Gamer", "Hardcore Leveling Warrior", "Dimensional Mercenary" or...
How about "Monster Duchess and Contract Princess" vs "I'm a child of this house" vs "Lucia" vs "The Duchess with an Empty Soul".

There's also ton of high sexual content manhwas which do not exactly have the best story.

Basically... they still reuse each other's stories, art quality varies quite a bit, same can be said about the story quality, and while we're getting ton of good stuff, there might be a sea of mediocre/low quality content waiting beyond floodgates of the language barrier.

@DeathDonut, quite true yes, just hoping that Japanese mangakas/authors would step up their game and not be complacent making lazy convenient stories or somehow find a way to make impressive contents because it's undeniable that Korean manhwas and Chinese manhuas are getting more competitive (fr, improvements are noticeable and pretty remarkable in just this 5~10 years) and Japanese mangas are slowly losing its edge in this market despite them having a longer cultural history (kinda reminds me of how the trend of people shifting from jpop to kpop). *I'm feeling old... 😭

Felt like the merchant was putting on a show to scam him, but maybe it's just the author scamming us? I can't even tell.

Dex-chan lover
@Kapow it is compleatly different in the Novel , for example MC asked about the crime slaves first and the owner didn't plan to show them at first ,he also didn't mention his personal conection to kana

Users who are viewing this thread