Dex-chan lover
why... why just the big toe??? considering his whole schtick is to get into the bloodstream, having it on all his limbs would make sense no?

Dex-chan lover
@thedeadlyacedia, all martial arts/ideas come from Baki?
baki-trump.png.jpg

Imagine liking this trash lol

Group Leader
@TrueGoddessReincarnation
Don't you trash on Baki. We Baki fans may be half dead, but we still demand respect, dammit! (The series is going downhill, and I'm a bit disappointed.)

Also, just mentioning that the poison hand/toe technique also takes place in Baki doesn't mean anyone's saying that ALL martial arts tropes come from Baki... It's just that people who know Baki couldn't help but raise an eyebrow.

Dex-chan lover
I think that in the big scheme, Purgatory fighters enter the ring with instructions of "losing the fight but win the war", and untill the Kengan block can get the grasp of the situation they'll keep fighting like they always do.

Dex-chan lover
That attack from above felt sooo cartoonish like from the looney toons

@Kireato Your interpretation of the definition is wrong. If we follow it then the word doesn't have any meaning since in a fighting manga all fights results are used to further develop the characters. Case in point, let's look at the fight between Kuroki and Mikazuchi, using your definition then Kuroki would have also jobbed if he lost that fight. It's stupid. By the way the other definition you mentioned has 10 times more dislikes than likes so I won't even mention it. You wouldn't have said "Rihito is going to looooose? :0", jobbing is different than losing.

For a good interpretation you have to look at the consequences. What does it mean that a character is setup to lose to X fighter? It means their backstory, entrance, hype, etc are only for making the opponent look good when he inevitably crushes the jobber. Here are another two examples from Asura : Takemoto Hisayasu https://mangadex.org/chapter/3866/1 and Nezu Masami https://mangadex.org/chapter/4042/18 . Those guys were never seen again and the only purpose of their characters was to make other characters look good.

Clearly not the case for Rihito here and especially not the case either for Gaolang, everyone was more impressed by him than the Fang once the match was over. Do you really think that every opponent of Kuroki were jobbers?

Dex-chan lover
It seems Falcon is just a more handsome version of the Medicine Man from "Asura".

Dex-chan lover
Flashback from Baki

@BasilD Well, imagine wanting to scratch your asscrack and dying from poisoning lol. At least he doesn't need his big toe for everyday life.

Dex-chan lover
@Dramsss

Your interpretation is too restrictive. You have stated that
in a fighting manga all fights results are used to further develop the characters
but that's incorrect. It's not only about developing the characters, but also about developing the story. Additionally, the events within the fight are far more important to develop a character than the result of the fight. In the case of the current tournament between Purgatory and Kengan, in order to keep this tournament exciting, it's a safe bet that half of the Kengan fighters are going to job.

You wouldn't have said "Rihito is going to looooose? :0"

That's essentially how I meant it. There's just some added nuance as it concerns a fictional fight which is why I used job instead.
Besides, if you couldn't tell by the number of o I used, that comment was tongue in cheek. I mean, I don't even think Rihito's going to job this.

Do you really think that every opponent of Kuroki were jobbers?

Just because you job once doesn't mean you're a jobber. I would consider a jobber to be a recurrent character who jobs and certainly not a character who is never seen again.
Your definition sounds more like padding than anything else. Yup, we're going to have to call those guys padders. :p

Your interpretation of the definition is wrong.

Your argument has not convinced me that it is. Unlike you, I still do not see any contradiction in being impressed by a character who jobbed, among other things.
In the case of language and meanings, if everyone is collectively using a word with a certain meaning, then that is the right meaning.

@truegoddessreincarnation only the bad ones. It's comically fun but Baki and this are all shit tier martial arts parodies. Yes jumping on your opponents back and the poison hand both remind me of Baki. You're really cool for disagreeing.

@Kireato

The problem when talking about slang is that everyone can have their own interpretation since no official definition of the word exist. Nevertheless if you expand the meaning of "jobbing" to make it a synonym of "losing" then you didn't just expand it, you just lost all meaning in the word. That's like the word "bro", some people use it with strangers and it loses its purpose.

Plus, even if you go to the pro-wrestling where the word came from, "jobbers" was used to refer to wrestler whose job is to enhance the abilities of their opponents by losing in the most impressive way possible. That's a bit more restrictive than what you said, it's normal for a a good fight to bring the best of both fighters but then there is no jobbers since the jobber's own abilities do not matter. Rihito clearly wouldn't job if he loses this fight for example. The focus of growth and improvement is completely on him while his opponent is forced to use poison.

The author even used a new format to make the fights even more unpredictable. By not knowing the opponents making each character fight only once you cannot predict who will win for certain. Not the case in a tournament for example, although the author avoided partly that problem in Asura because we knew almost no fighters.

Users who are viewing this thread