A Capable Maid - Ch. 38

@SparklePink12

Your higher-than-thou morals doesn't really matter. Your incapability to separate it from reading a story and somehow connecting it to 'romanticism' when for all of intents and purposes, Marie and the Prince don't see it that way is all on you. Marie outrights abhor it, the Prince just wants to get her close despite knowing they can't get closer than that.

Also, because it's 'inspired' it can't be real? Nobles owning people in monarch society has been as real as it was even during history. Just because the country in the story has no historical basis doesn't make that fact a fantasy.

You're conflating inspired with = can't be real which is very baffling.

I am indeed questioning your comprehension capabilities. Coming out with ideas that didn't even exist in the story itself counts as a point against it.

@Sparklepink12K About how it's historically accurate: You're right about the setting only being inspired by the medieval period. But if you consider that they're basically using the system of palaces in Korea/China but in a European skin, it makes more sense. Asia hasn't really had a big anti-slavery movement specifically like the west has (obviously it's still illegal though), so a lot of it is almost sort of romanticized in media? Like it's stuff you would put in a tv show as mood setting, rather than depicting as a huge social issue at the time. Though, I will say it's still odd how many manhwa don't see the problem with it considering Korea still has grudges about Japan basically doing the same thing and keeping them as a war prisoner...

Note: I'm still not saying you should like it now that I've told you this. just a reason behind why it's shown so nonchalantly in manhwa/manga

@misao
Thank you for kindly sharing information! I see, where I live, these kinds of things, even in fiction aren’t really tolerated or accepted, so I’m very strongly against these types of scenarios. Especially since being next to the U.S we learn a lot about their history a long with ours. And with Black Lives Matters being once again brought to the forefront a lot of people are researching and learning more about history, well, righteousness and social issues are always on my mind. It seems that some people can’t let other people’s opinions exist without being rude to them.

Nevermind. I can already see what will happen. Candidate #2's gonna claim Marie's capabilities for her own while the Prince already knows that it's Marie doing those things.

It'll probably even lower her standing with the Prince because he'll think she's using Marie for her own ends.

@Sparklepink12K No problem! I'd also like to note that because of imperialism, war prisoners in media tend to be seen as unfortunate or pitiful, but they have to live with the consequences of their territory/country losing anyways. Of course, oppressive rulers will still be viewed negatively, but arguably the war prisoners could have all been executed so it's seen as "sparing" their lives. Especially in Korea, there was a pretty big class divide between peasants and the nobles/officials, so even if it's practically slave work, being able to work for the palace was a huge privilege.

If you have any time, I'd recommend checking out some historical K-dramas for a dramatized feel on the (Korean) system. Personally I like Dae Jang Geum a lot even though it's kind of old. It depicts a young girl who has to climb the caste system in the palace in order to survive, based on a real historical figure.

Group Leader
@Xeredge Well, one of them stomp her to the ground and the other one is offering a deal which she need in a future. Not that hard to see who's she gonna help there.

Group Leader
Also wondering how is the blonde will proceed with the test. Like, let Marie teach her stuff or something? Where did she even get the info about our fluff-bear anyway. Welp, let's see.

I don't trust her... She went to intentionally to pick a fight. She is a little too cunning for my liking.

Dex-chan lover
Both candidates seem sketchy but why did she agree to that plan, it's not even in writing so there's no guarantee she'll keep her word.

Contributor
Honestly, i prefer the other princess, at least she's honest, even if harsh.

@JWChibi Thinking the same thing. Right now she's promising you things cause she's desperate. Once she doesn't need you anymore she doesn't need to keep her word or pretend to be nice

Users who are viewing this thread