A Cool Girl and a 12cm Promise - Ch. 1 - The Promise

Dex-chan lover
If I'm being honest, I wish the author did just a LITTLE bit more to distinguish Ibuki as a girl (and I understand she's supposed to be boyish and cool in appearance and manner). But, to me, it really feels like the author just drew a tall high school boy and said "this is a girl." She's TOO boyish looking for me to believe she's actually a girl.

But whatever. It's just a nitpick.

Thanks for the translation.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
If I'm being honest, I wish the author did a just a LITTLE bit more to distinguish Ibuki as a girl (and I understand she's supposed to be boyish and cool in appearance and manner). But, to me, it really feels like the author just drew a tall high school boy and said "this is a girl." She's TOO boyish looking for me to believe she's actually a girl.

Yeah... This is just yaoi with extra steps.

Dex-chan lover
If I'm being honest, I wish the author did a just a LITTLE bit more to distinguish Ibuki as a girl (and I understand she's supposed to be boyish and cool in appearance and manner). But, to me, it really feels like the author just drew a tall high school boy and said "this is a girl." She's TOO boyish looking for me to believe she's actually a girl.

boyish girls are perfect bro
shadap!!

Dex-chan lover
Good for the author! Hopefully they have a decent work schedule and don't risk burnout! Can't wait to see where the story progresses to now that it's serialized and they don't have to hold back on plot development like some do pre-serialization.

Dex-chan lover

That's expected with highly stylized artworks in certain mangas that end up being very androgynous. That's why it's so easy to gender-bend and cross-dress manga characters...

Therefore it makes sense to rely on the author's information to understand what the characters are if gendered characteristics don't follow social conversion or there isn't the cop out of drawing big breasts or highly detailed eyes on women, for example.

Many manga authors readily play with this, and in my opinion, it's perfectly okay. Take a look at this example from Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/d146c81d-8815-4cfc-9649-2b976a9f51d2/7

Mind you that this comes from Take, an author that exaggerates sexual characteristics on his characters a lot to convey gender.

On the other hand, this author is using their own artstyle to tell an unique story and mess with the expectation of the readers, and that's pretty refreshing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread