A Cool Girl and a 12cm Promise - Ch. 1 - The Promise

Dex-chan lover
If I'm being honest, I wish the author did just a LITTLE bit more to distinguish Ibuki as a girl (and I understand she's supposed to be boyish and cool in appearance and manner). But, to me, it really feels like the author just drew a tall high school boy and said "this is a girl." She's TOO boyish looking for me to believe she's actually a girl.

But whatever. It's just a nitpick.

Thanks for the translation.
True. She could at least wear a standard school skirt (take a look at how Tomo dresses. now that is some proper tomboy). or at least make her grew some boobs

Dex-chan lover
True. She could at least wear a standard school skirt (take a look at how Tomo dresses. now that is some proper tomboy). or at least make her grew some boobs
Tomo was actually the first person I was thinking of. Like guys you can have a tomboy (and cute one like Tomo at that) without forgoing a woman's prominent physical traits or general sense of fashion.

Dex-chan lover
If I'm being honest, I wish the author did just a LITTLE bit more to distinguish Ibuki as a girl (and I understand she's supposed to be boyish and cool in appearance and manner). But, to me, it really feels like the author just drew a tall high school boy and said "this is a girl." She's TOO boyish looking for me to believe she's actually a girl.

But whatever. It's just a nitpick.

Thanks for the translation.
bro that’s YOUR preference on how boysh she is “supposed” to look FOR YOU!!!

Dex-chan lover
So I'm glad this got serialised but I think the addition of a pinky promise with their first meeting is worse than the pre-serialised version.

In the pre-serialised version tomo took an interest early but their first meeting is something an innocent child might say to anyone who's sad about being tall. Her reaction is implied to her thinking this kid is weird but not thinking too much about it. Its implied that later this mundane moment becomes very special to her. He becomes cool to her as he becomes her friend, her knight and her biggest supporter of her being herself.

Here the moment feels unnatural lashing out is supposed to be a sign of her trauma regarding her looks and abilities but is a weird reaction to a kid you've just met trying to comfort her and weirder for her to earnestly pinky promise with someone she has no reason to trust. Also suggesting the pinky promise is weird for tomo why does he want her to believe him they've just met and he's unaware of the bullying she's experienced???

I appreciate more of them as kids but it needed spacing out. First meeting he tells her he'll be taller and cooler than her when they grow up and she says nothing. Next day he runs up to her because they are friends now to her surprise, he gets teased for being around her but he shakes it off easily whilst she lashes out at him for drawing attention to her, that's when he makes the pinky promise.
your bloody nitpicking to an exagerated werdo way

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, I have to agree. The webcomic handled the "coolness aspect" of the ML a lot better than this serialization is doing, and I feel like this feels a little bit more generic than the original (which is weird because the original is about as generic as you could get). I'm still probably going to read because this specific genre (cool short ML, cool tall FL) basically doesn't exist elsewhere except for a side couple in nozaki kun, but if they don't do both characters justice, it'll just be a pale imitation of the webcomic, tbh.
that’s like just your opinion on how androgynous the MC is not some sort of LIMIT on how feminine the author is some how allowed to make her

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Tomo was actually the first person I was thinking of. Like guys you can have a tomboy (and cute one like Tomo at that) without forgoing a woman's prominent physical traits or general sense of fashion.
what a bunch of BS, first of ibuki is an androgynous girl! that is not the same as Tomo witch she is just an tomboy but the MC doesn’t CLEARLY see her as an girl, tomo clearly has feminine physical traits but that is what makes her different from Ibuki
bloody hell learn the difference between the two!!!

Dex-chan lover
bro that’s YOUR preference on how boysh she is “supposed” to look FOR YOU!!!
Would you calm down. You don't think I know that this is my own opinion? I'm not the authority or final say on what is too boyish. I think that she is, but I know others may think otherwise.

You are being oddly aggressive to not just me but other commenters too. We're only offering our opinions and aren't claiming it as some "universal truth."

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
what a bunch of BS, first of ibuki is an androgynous girl! that is not the same as Tomo witch she is just an tomboy but the MC doesn’t CLEARLY see her as an girl, tomo clearly has feminine physical traits but that is what makes her different from Ibuki
Jesus my guy are you good? Why are you getting upset over this?

And yes I do know the difference thank you. It doesn't make me like it any better though.

Frankly I question if you even know what you're talking about. Are you saying androgynous girls can't be tomboys as well? That's certainly not true and I don't know why you say that's some meaningful difference.

Dex-chan lover
Do everyone a favor and chill out. Your hyper aggressiveness and overt fixation on this girl being androgynous is not going to win anyone over.

In fact, your attitude makes me wish even more that the author might eventually put her in some feminine clothes just to spite your opinion.

Dex-chan lover
Androgynous is one thing, but the artist literally drew a male body for her (shape) and a thin one at that. Kind of undermining the whole aspect. When most think androgynous you're thinking facial structure/etc, not a male body frame.

Unironically: "wHeRe aRe hEr oRgAnS?"

Hmmmmm. for some reason i like the webcomic more? idk, feels like the vibes different in the serialization. but at the same time im not sure if anything has changed... maybe just my memory and im too lazy to go compare the two

Dex-chan lover
I think the Creator is trying to go against the notion that you can't please both sides

Users who are viewing this thread