A Galaxy Next Door - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Double-page supporter
This is a good shit, I'm looking forward for more of this, and thanks for the translation

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the translation, came across this one just 3 minutes after upload and I really liked this first chapter.

cgr

Dex-chan lover
sci fi tag is needed:

can anyone estimate their total living (including apartment taxes?) and tuition costs? : it feels weird to me that 20 million yen + isn't enough to send three people to university, that they may still have to be careful not to eat bbq too often: since he is still getting rent money https://mangadex.org/chapter/963816/5 .

she truly is a goddess with sharpy tail
hmm... who was that bride on page 31...
thank you for the translation and the notes :'3

Fed-Kun's army
@cgr

University costs in Japan can vary wildly, which isn't unique to Japan. Generally, public universities are the cheapest, but usually much more difficult to get into. Private universities can get very expensive, especially specialty ones like one that focus on art. Also consider that the MC doesn't have a regular job and no education to get anything other than a part-time job if his serialization ends. So I suspect it's "let's get to X sum ASAP" in case everything falls apart, including the apartment building. And his apartment building isn't exactly the most modern and since buildings don't appreciate in value in Japan, once it gets old enough, his option is pretty much limited to selling it for land, or knocking it down and building new. Or rebrand it as the new hot trend, the social apartment, and try to squeeze a few more years of rent out of it.

So since the MC is the Uber responsible type who tries to do everything (and doesn't get any support even from their mother), he' planned for the worst case scenario and is working toward it.

cgr

Dex-chan lover
@ThePaulBunyanTrophy
him being responsible and hard working is very admirable, but them being too frugal isn't, especially since his 16 year old cousin would probably graduate university and get a job in 7 years before his siblings even get to university.

Also, he inherited the apartment, which has more than one unit with private kitchens, so even if isn't very modern, it should still be pretty valuable.

Fed-Kun's army
@cgr

Yeah, well, about that... You're going to have to wait til chapter 2.

And from what I've read, the cousin isn't supported by the MC. She's actually a tenant so a source of income. And really, I don't know if they're being too frugal. They're getting delivery for dinner. But what you're seeing is the famous Japanese reluctance to dip into the savings, rather than not spend the money at all. So he's fine with setting aside money to splurge on a BBQ when it comes in, but not so fine about dipping into the saving that's in the bank. It's the difference between slowing down while running, and running backward.

Like I said, he's racing to the target goal by saving when he can. If his serialization ends, his manga income drops to practically zero. He doesn't get royalty from his past work unless his tankoubon gets a reprint. And if his work was popular enough to get reprints, it wouldn't have been cancelled in the first place. He could get a new serialization, but that's not a given. And the apartment has to rent to make money. In Japan, old buildings are worth exactly the amount the land under it is worth, minus the cost of knocking it down. This is especially for any residence and the concept of buying an used home to live in is not very popular. So even if the land itself is pretty valuable, the value of the property (building + land) usually decreases every year (real estate bubble is long, long gone) and unless he plans for it by saving seed money for a new construction, there will be a time in a near future when he may have to sell the property because it won't generate much income for being so old and rundown. Which will generate a nice lump sum, but then what? Interest rate in for simple saving don't even track inflation. Speculate? Kind of risky, and this MC doesn't seem like that kind of a guy.

So what it looks like is the dude got a plan to save as much money as possible while the money is coming in and he's sticking to his plan as closely as he can and not depending on what might be possible in the future.

Dex-chan lover
So basically To-Love Ru without being way too ecchi and a massive harem (as of now).

Dex-chan lover
So I heard mangaka assistants who were too good wouldn't stay as assistants for long. They would soon debut with their own serialization :/

Contributor
When FMC started speaking in overly complicated descriptions, I had the same reaction as the little sister.

Double-page supporter
Honestly i thought at first that she was some sort of thorny flower alien from the stuff on page 35. Not out of the question i guess.

Thanks for translating and leaving notes.

Users who are viewing this thread