A Reunion in Middle School - Oneshot

Dex-chan lover
Joined
Feb 22, 2024
Messages
253
Do we call it girls love or nah? I wouldn't.
Technically, at least if we’re going off of precedent for stories tagged girl’s love without being tagged romance, it counts. Going off of precedent, it apparently just refers to anything with some degree of intimacy, even platonic intimacy. Basically, if any of them blush lmao.

I know that that’s not really what people think of with this tag. They think of lesbian stories. Heck I use it to search for lesbian stories, but if you don’t add the romance tag, you get a ton of platonic stories. Which I think yuri/GL does technically encompass, at least according to Wikipedia.
 
Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Joined
Apr 9, 2023
Messages
84
Technically, at least if we’re going off of precedent for stories tagged girl’s love without being tagged romance, it counts. Going off of precedent, it apparently just refers to anything with some degree of intimacy, even platonic intimacy. Basically, if any of them blush lmao.

I know that that’s not really what people think of with this tag. They think of lesbian stories. Heck I use it to search for lesbian stories, but if you don’t add the romance tag, you get a ton of platonic stories. Which I think yuri/GL does technically encompass, at least according to Wikipedia.
the same old bullshit excuse. yet when you hear "yaoi" you know what you get - two guys clearly in love, not in a platonic way

this fucking bullshit only ever applies to f/f exclusive topics. this is why when even the lesbian label is often disrespected and now conflated as "bisexual 2.0" and erasing our identity altogether. 😑 yuri is the same since it's about women only and no males. the lack of males is unacceptable in this society, so they will make a ton of excuse why shitty friendship only works can still count as """"yuri""""
 
Aggregator gang
Joined
Jan 4, 2024
Messages
16
Do we call it girls love or nah? I wouldn't.
Yeah, I kept thinking the same when reading it. "Is this really GL though?" because, contrary to what the poster a while back said, Girls' Love has more often than not been about intimate, romantic relationships between two girls first and foremost, yet what is portrayed in here doesn't really signal anything romantic because we are given so little to work with.

Like, if we really use a mere blush as a marker for the tag, we could unironically count half of all media with two female characters blushing that clearly isn't GL as just that.
 
Active member
Joined
Aug 28, 2025
Messages
17
I would say this is yuri because it's coming from a yuri artist, in a vacuum it has enough deniability but not when you see the other author's works.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Feb 22, 2024
Messages
253
the same old bullshit excuse. yet when you hear "yaoi" you know what you get - two guys clearly in love, not in a platonic way

this fucking bullshit only ever applies to f/f exclusive topics. this is why when even the lesbian label is often disrespected and now conflated as "bisexual 2.0" and erasing our identity altogether. 😑 yuri is the same since it's about women only and no males. the lack of males is unacceptable in this society, so they will make a ton of excuse why shitty friendship only works can still count as """"yuri""""
It's not an excuse, it's just me restating the definition lol. If you want to go to Japan and tell them to change it, as well as convince the rest of this site to change it, be my guest lmao. It's not like I don't want it to mean lesbian manga; I literally said I personally use it synonymously.
 
Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Feb 22, 2024
Messages
253
Yeah, I kept thinking the same when reading it. "Is this really GL though?" because, contrary to what the poster a while back said, Girls' Love has more often than not been about intimate, romantic relationships between two girls first and foremost, yet what is portrayed in here doesn't really signal anything romantic because we are given so little to work with.

Like, if we really use a mere blush as a marker for the tag, we could unironically count half of all media with two female characters blushing that clearly isn't GL as just that.
It is, definitionally, referring to any sort of intimacy. Like I don't know why you guys are acting like I'm making a personal opinion when I am just going off the definition: "[Yuri/GL is] a genre of Japanese media focusing on intimate relationships between female characters. While lesbian relationships are a commonly associated theme, the genre is also inclusive of works depicting emotional and spiritual relationships between women that are not necessarily romantic or sexual in nature".

I also don't understand why you guys are acting like I'm positively endorsing the definition. As I literally said, I'd rather it'd refer to lesbian manga, as that'd make my search time easier. But the question I was answering was not "should we have a separate tag for lesbian manga" or "should Japan redefine yuri/GL to mean strictly lesbian relationships", it's "by it's current definition, does this manga count as yuri/GL", and technically, yes, it is, by definition, yuri/GL.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 25, 2018
Messages
1,170
the same old bullshit excuse. yet when you hear "yaoi" you know what you get - two guys clearly in love, not in a platonic way

this fucking bullshit only ever applies to f/f exclusive topics. this is why when even the lesbian label is often disrespected and now conflated as "bisexual 2.0" and erasing our identity altogether. 😑 yuri is the same since it's about women only and no males. the lack of males is unacceptable in this society, so they will make a ton of excuse why shitty friendship only works can still count as """"yuri""""
It's almost like yaoi and yuri originated on entirely different contexts and, beyond being about homosexual relationships, they had nothing to do with each other.
 
Last edited:
Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2026
Messages
24
the same old bullshit excuse. yet when you hear "yaoi" you know what you get - two guys clearly in love, not in a platonic way

this fucking bullshit only ever applies to f/f exclusive topics. this is why when even the lesbian label is often disrespected and now conflated as "bisexual 2.0" and erasing our identity altogether. 😑 yuri is the same since it's about women only and no males. the lack of males is unacceptable in this society, so they will make a ton of excuse why shitty friendship only works can still count as """"yuri""""
I think because of the subtext (sfx, blush) and the author's previous works, it is most yuri adjacent, but mangadex doesn't have a genre for subtext yet.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top