A Stepmother's Märchen - Vol. 1 Ch. 43 - Guardian (2)

Fed-Kun's army
@beazacha the rule in most kingdoms for a significant chunk of history used to be injuring a member of the royal family was an automatic death sentence. the empress is being somewhat merciful comparatively. also not really sure where you got the pretty and low part about the empress, and you need to be skilled at manipulating people to lead an empire. leaving a major noble house under the control of an unproven young bride would be disastrous if anyone but Shuli was in such a position. the empress's entire job is maintaining order and stability within her empire, not being kind to those beneath her. you're not really wrong about the crown prince as far as i can tell though.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, the Empress is dumb if this is her idea of a test. Yes, crash testing can teach you a lot about how something performs under stress, but no matter how well it performs, you can't use it again.

Do or die tests are especially stupid when you consider that even small, completely fixable problems can be the difference between success and failure.

You're using real world logic when the story itself said that's not how it works: not only the Empress said she's doing on porpoise but literally only one chapter ago the nobles were complaining about the excessive punishment so no, she obviously isn't "maintaining stability" by chopping his hand...

I’m very cautious of the empress now. What did she do that was so bad that Johan wouldn’t trust his family to her? And instead picked a young woman from the country. Hopefully we’ll find out in the future.

And nothing like “testing” the new family head by hanging the threat of having one of the children’s hands cut off. Good lord. Your vicious lady.

Aww Nora is such a good kid.

Oh no Shuli. I hope she doesn’t have to go down that route. Especially since Johan was so firm on Jeremy being unfit as the head of the family.

Ugh I can’t believe I used to like the prince. What a trash bastard. Glad Jeremy saw right through him and cut straight to the chase. “At the very least, you’d be able to imitate a knight that shows up in the nick of time”. What a sick burn.

Thank you for translating this chapter.

@beazacha The Neuschwanstein family is obviously important and from the flashback Johannes and the Empress seem to see things eye to eye. The Empress can care about stability by making sure that a 16 year old girl who only recently has gotten involved politics doesn't sink the ship by rocking the boat a little now. The nobles, like everyone but the Empress, don't know the reason why the she is asking for such a harsh punishment. I don't think the Empress will allow anything to happen to Jeremy. I think one of three things happen: Shuli gets the divorce/annulment and the Empress installs someone loyal to her until Jeremy comes of age, Shuli passes and the Empress isn't worried about the Neuschwanstein's or Shuli's plan doesn't work and the Empress drops the charges against Jeremy in exchange for being able to install someone loyal to her in the house and maybe Shuli leaving too.

Wait, so Johan's plan failed previously because Shuli wrongly died before reincarnation...

@kvrokz Technically she did do everything Johannes asked of her in her previous life. Jeremy safely became head of the family with the girl he chose as his wife.

She's willing to give up everything she worked so hard to fix in this second life just so everyone else in the family. Meanwhile we got Mr. Pretty Boy Prince over here tryna cash in on his knight in shining armor act.

@isekailoverrr From the scene, it seems like he doesn't want Jeremy to be the head at all, or at least until he has someone dependable by his side. Considering pre-reincarnation, he marries a woman who is vicious and manipulative, I'm pretty sure it didn't go the way he wanted as Johan explicitly states that Jeremy should not be the head as he is too easily manipulated by others.

Users who are viewing this thread