A Story About Becoming Cooler Than the Cool Girl (Pre-Serialization) - Ch. 16 - Cool Girl and Shoes That Can’t Be Found

Dex-chan lover
Is this a culture thing? Because in my country, or maybe just in my town, we did not care whatever a girl is tomboy or not, we just playing around together when we was elementary school.
I grew up in a really liberal area that is super accepting of basically everything but elementary school age kids were still jerks. Know of quite a few bullying issues from while brothers were in elementary but nothing from anything past that.

Dex-chan lover
Is this a culture thing? Because in my country, or maybe just in my town, we did not care whatever a girl is tomboy or not, we just playing around together when we was elementary school.
Because in my country

I highly doubt it, maybe got very lucky you didn't happen to came across it.

Man, people can nitpick just about anything, from surname sounding odd, slight overweight, being bit higher than the rest or even because you react to bullying.

Fed-Kun's army
In addition to the others, this is also a fictional story that relies on drama lol

I live in europe, but even there I was kinda bullied (not an extreme, and not physical, but gave a good punch to my selfconfidence) because I didn't wore nice clothes but hand-downs (from boy relatives) in the kindergarten. I don't remember much as it was almost 20 years ago, but it hurt, when they just flouted/insulted me because of my clothes. Kids can be really cruel if they want and find a "good" reason to it. But the "take others shoes" I think is a japanese thing.

Fed-Kun's army
maybe it's influenced by culture but I'd be surprised if stuff like this wasn't present in most countries in some form. kids are universally pretty mean (they are just learning about the whole socializing thing after all) and if there's a weird kid, it only takes 1 person to pick up on it for that kid to be a target of the whole class.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, femininity and cuteness is HUGE in Japan, which is why there are almost no tomboys in manga and why Vtubers are so girly and why skirts are almost mandatory in anime even when fighting.

Group Leader
No, I doubt it. Girls can usually get away with being boyish, or tomboy, in most places outside the middle east. Of course, sometimes, you get kids who are stupid and feel the need to put other people down. Society everywhere tends to not favor those who stand out. That is the case no matter where you live. It's even worse when you deal with kids who have yet to fully develop a sense of sympathy and respect. Bullies just need an excuse, anything. "Oh, a tomboy. Let's go pick on her."

Of course, boys who are girlish and feminine are going to have a much more difficult road to walk on.

On the other hand, I've also seen tomboy girls who actually started fight with other boys and scared them...

Dex-chan lover
Man, some people can say the most bullshit thing with such utmost confidence...
It isn't bullshit.

Go on, tell me who the tomboys are who don't wear skirts in any recent anime or manga. Because I have slogged through a ton of stuff I do not want to consume just to find stuff.

In gender benders alone, the amount of "Oh you're a girl now" bullshit is infuriating.

And yeah, this is a Real Life thing too. I asked my Japanese friend about it because I was so confused. When I go outside, I have a hard time seeing anyone in a skirt, yet they are everywhere in Japan. She said it was because Japan likes skirts and that she likes them too, which is why when she is in America she feels more girly than when in Japan due to how skirts are much rarer here.

Group Leader
It isn't bullshit.

Go on, tell me who the tomboys are who don't wear skirts in any recent anime or manga. Because I have slogged through a ton of stuff I do not want to consume just to find stuff.

In gender benders alone, the amount of "Oh you're a girl now" bullshit is infuriating.

And yeah, this is a Real Life thing too. I asked my Japanese friend about it because I was so confused. When I go outside, I have a hard time seeing anyone in a skirt, yet they are everywhere in Japan. She said it was because Japan likes skirts and that she likes them too, which is why when she is in America she feels more girly than when in Japan due to how skirts are much rarer here.
which is why there are almost no tomboys in manga and why Vtubers are so girly and why skirts are almost mandatory in anime even when fighting.

Yes, it is. You said three things, all of which were bullshit.

EY2HIRVU4AEc-hz.jpg:large

This girl has worn all sorts of clothing: skirts, dresses, jeans, you name it, and still kicks ass.

3.jpg

Here's a more recent one.

1. There are tomboys in manga. Many. Hundreds. Even in old manga like DBZ, we've had tomboys.
2. JP Vtubers are girly if they want to be. Not all of them are "girly" in a traditional sense. They might look girly, doesn't mean they always act so.
3. Artistic choice. Almost mandatory? So it's not required. Therefore, it's not a rule. Skirts are mandatory as much as trousers are.

Are tomboys banned from wearing skirts now to prove they are tomboys? Sounds like you think tomboys can never wear skirts or dresses, and that shows the beginning of your ignorance. Tomboys are not just about wearing jeans and getting short haircut. It's 2023 and things that only tomboys do a long time ago aren't so uncommon anymore. This is like dropping a manga because a boy is drawn wearing trouser. If seeing tomboys wearing skirts or dresses triggers you and is enough to not make you want to read a story, sorry I can't help you with your personal problem.

I don't know what this has to do with anything. It's easier and more socially acceptable for a girl to wear skirt. So if a dude becomes a girl, might as well take the chance to try wearing a skirt.

So...? Again, completely irrelevant.

I assume you're from the US or some western countries where women tend to wear trousers. Widen your perspective more instead of spreading nonsense. Have you seen at least videos of people from Asian countries, like Vietnam, or Korea? Women in those countries dress much more variably. Some wear trousers, some wear dresses, some wear skirts, ect. Their sense of fashion is much more interesting than American women. Oh, and some of them are tomboys, too. I fail to see how this is a problem.

Women, tomboy or not, have more choices in fashion. They can wear dresses, skirts, trousers, whatever they feel like. Male characters, like men in real life, are often limited to just typical pants or shorts. So, to make characters distinguishable, one thing the artist can do is have female characters wear something different than male characters. Again, not a rule, but the artist's choice. Complaining about a girl, tomboy or not, wearing skirt or dress, because she has more choices, is nonsense.

Sounds like somebody hates anything associated with femininity and wants the world to conform to them, too. Heh.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread