A Tale of the Secret Saint - Vol. 1 Ch. 2

Fed-Kun's army
Her siblings get upset their pride is kicked...clearly they didn't care one lick about her the last few years so they can just pi$$ off.

I dont care about the grammar as long as the story is legible so thanks a lot!

(though if you do want to correct the grammar, I'm available to help!)

Dex-chan lover
Good to see her talking back and not so driven to impress them anymore. lol

Aggregator gang
I had to do a double-take and check the author's name again, thought it was another FUNA adaptation just based on the way the main character acts.

Dex-chan lover
Mmm... I wonder why is she focused on so called 'nakama' when her old party ended up betraying and abandoning her. On the other hand.... her antics are super cute...

Another sexist moment shown as "chivalry". I thought that finally there is a manga with a strong (physically) female main character but nvm they have to still be portrayed and treated as the weaker ones. These girls came to be knights so they should be receiving the same treatment for the test. Yet, they are shown as hiding behind the boys. I'm dropping this. I am tired of these mangas.

Dex-chan lover
The exam is a complete joke. Take 10 blows from an active knight? Boring. A sloppy written exam where you have to fucking draw? ...what? Fight against an instructor? Why is there another combat test? What was the point of the first test then?

Dex-chan lover
@Yurisivel: Guess everything is to do with the Knights Chivalry, like, "Knight's should always face there opponent head-on and never back down from frontal fight and no tricks used", or "protect the weak woman" or "presentation and prestige is important"

As for the tests, I guess the point of the first test was to check the capacity to take hits (aka., defensive power) by the opponent, because Knight's should protect others from harm, with their own body. While the point of second test was probably sword skills and strength.

Dex-chan lover
@Yurisivel: Guess everything is to do with the Knights Chivalry, like, "Knight's should always face there opponent head-on and never back down from frontal fight and no tricks used", or "protect the weak woman" or "presentation and prestige is important"

As for the tests, I guess the point of the first test was to check the capacity to take hits (aka., defensive power) by the opponent, because Knight's should protect others from harm, with their own body. While the point of second test was probably sword skills and strength.

@Morose
1) Fia broke those rules though. She used special magic that she can only use to give herself an unfair advantage. Instead of relying on her own strength, she cheated in both those combat exams to beat both her brothers. She staked her entire life and childhood into becoming a proud knight like the rest of her family, and continued to train for years despite the shit treatment she got from her brothers. But when it came down to it, she completely undermined all her efforts not once but twice by cheating to achieve her dreams in order to become a knight, which is a terrible moral message to any readers.

2) When Fabian pointed out that if she wanted, Fia could literally got to the back of the line and pass by default. And coincidentally shows us that several of the female applicants also noticed this and went to the back of the line too. She was about to accept Fabian's proposal and go to the back, because she was scared of having to deal with her brother and was okay with passing the exam by doing nothing at all. Rather than refusing Fabian's proposal and pushing forward to challenge her brother, Fia runs away. Again not something an "underdog" character should ever do.

Dex-chan lover
@Yurisivel: The thing is, the majority of the Knight's didn't really know or understand what she did, so her breaking some of the Knights Chivalry isn't really a problem.

And, from the way the story is presented, i think this story is trying to focus more on the negatives of Knights Chivalry, with their unless notions of stuff and prestige that don't have any meaning. Especially Fia's brothers who keep looking at others weaker than them with contempt.

As for her training, it was already said that Fia didn't even have a little bit of talent with Swords, so whatever training or hardship she did was mostly wasted or atleast only made her reach basic level of proficiency.
People are good at either one thing or another, while also being bad at one thing or another. Just because she failed and used Magic as a support to achieve her dream isn't really wrong as even her Magic is her own strength and ability. So, Fia cheating isn't really a terrible moral message, because the cheats she used is also her own powers, rather than external factors. What Fia did was simply use her abilities she is good at and used her brain, which isn't bad. Remember, there isn't much difference between a Knight and a Magic Knight.

Fia isn't really the underdog though. Its obvious that she is weaker at Swordsmanship and base physical strength, but she was a Saintess in the past, and gained back the base mana capacity she had in her past life. So, at base she is practically one of the strongest beings alive.

As for why she was trying to avoid her brother, and even tried to gain a default pass, was because what she wanted to become was a Knight anyway possible (originally, she wanted to become a Knight so that she could prove herself to her family, but after recovering her past-life memory, she kind of forgot that notion, and aimed for Knighthood, as a different path of work). So, just because she tried to gain a pass on her test without doing much isn't that big of a problem, as people in real life also do that.
Plus it was her brother who was the tester whom she wanted to avoid, because they had never treated her properly until now, and it was possible that the brothers would have been extra hard on her (if she didn't use magic boost), and probably beaten her more badly compared to others just so that they could prove their superiority. In a situation like this, anyone would want to skip a test and go for default pass.

Dex-chan lover
soooooooooo..... the text says saintess are descendants of the great saint. Does that mean she had children before she died?

Dex-chan lover
@Nk9bjP4A
Uhm... pretty sure I type it as "the grandchildren" of the Saintess.
Allow me to explain.
There are a lot of Saintess in the past. 10-20% percent of girls back then. The girls back then WERE kind of nice so spirits LOVED them.
All they need to do is contracting with a spirit, the spirit will -90% MP consume which makes the girls be able to use healing magic easily.
The spirit will also teach them how to use magic as well.

The love of the spirit runs in family as well.
Which makes even the children of those Saintesses be able to use magic.
However, unless the children do something to maintain the love of the spirits, their love will be weakening as time passed.

And here we go, 300 years passed. Saintesses nowadays are super weak.

And then with Fia's guidance, 2 Saintesses will be power up like 300 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread