A Wicked Tale of Cinderella's Stepmom - Vol. 1 Ch. 37

I hope Iris doesn't freak out, since it's clear that
Mildred is showing such care towards Ashley. I don't think she means to neglect the other two, but it doesn't mean they won't feel that way.

Also... Social change takes time. I think Iris is the only one interested in marriage, while Lily loves art and Ashley is still figuring stuff out. Mildred clearly knows that not marrying them off, regardless if they want to or not, isn't going to help them as things stand and she just needs to be most mindful of who they go to. Once that happens she does have more freedom to figure out how to care for herself.

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the translation!

I was wondering what Daniel might be dressed as, then I thought of how he is slightly hinted to be the equivalent of the fairy godmother, then my brain went to if he dressed as the fairy goddad pffffft

Iris is feeling some type of way bc it seems like her mother is favoring Ashley more by the way she present her first in the last ball even though Ashley is not the oldest and then w/ the concept of the costume by saying that Ashley should dress up as a Princess. She’s feeling somethings up

i’m starting to feel bad for her daughters. i think she’s obviously favoring ashley a bit too much. like forget the plot, think about how your daughters feel

Pretty ironic isn't it. The transmigrated person wanted Ashley to become Cinderella but unknowingly became nice to her and already changed the "plot" of the story. We can already see that the Prince is interested more in Iris than Ashley or Lily. I hope the author will draw the moment when the Prince walks up to Iris and ask for her hand and have the large slap across the face for her.

Mil is failing to take her daughters feelings into account and its low key really sad. Like, you really get where she's coming from, when you see how Mildred is unable to even sell an idea of her own invention without facing social backlash. Nobles don't work. I mean, the baron owns a restaurant and that's seen as super weird but it's somewhat okay as he has very high status, he's simply the owner and he's a man.

The type of work open to women in this era is extremely limited too. You're a commoner housewife, maybe you do a little laundry for other families, or you're an unmarried servant. As a widow with adult children, Mildred is essentially expected to quietly die - like the Queen's lady in waiting said she would in the previous chapter.

She really wants her children to find a love match and get married, because that's literally the only option they have for contentment and stability, and basically the only option they have for marriage in general (they have no wealth or status to bring to the table). She's hoping Ashley "marries up", creating opportunities for Lily and Iris to be sought after as people will want to have the crown princesses' sister married into their family (low key she is deluded on this front as far as she knows they haven't even met lmao settle for a duke or marquis or something omg).

However, Ashley really doesn't want to get married (She. Is. Sixteen.) , and Lily just wants to be an artist. Maybe becoming a spinster or an impoverished artist would give them many hardships and maybe mean they'd never be able to get married. But it's what they WANT. I really want the daughters to have this out with her tbh. Like yes Mil is basically walking the narrow tightrope between disgracing her daughters + ruining their marriage prospects, and on the other hand becoming destitute and full of debt. It's no wonder she wants to quickly get them married to avoid both these outcomes. but they don't freaking want it.

It's almost depressing that it's kind of all going to work out as Iris will probably marry the prince and therefore be able to sponsor her sister as an artist and Ashley will be able to live with Mil comfortably. I just hope we don't have a moment where Mil tries to match-make Ashley with the prince/tells Iris he is in love with Ashley because I will cringe so hard in embarrassment hah. (your daughters are lovely its not just Ashley ffs).

Fed-Kun's army
I think Iris, even though she does feel something negative, should have the most understanding out of every one. As the oldest, and more mature and observant than the other two, so she probably understands why her mother gives more attention to Iris. Because Ashley is quite frankly a total clutz and kinda dumb (mostly because of her terrible dad). Iris also knows that Ashley basically never had a good childhood, nor did she experience many things. So she understands why Mildred is giving Ashley more attention.

But what you think isn't always what you feel. She is understanding it, but can't help feel... jealous ( I assume its jealously since the author is making it look that way, but it also might be something else more complicated). Even if you understand something, doesn't mean you still won't feel negative emotions about it. That's why she sighed at the end.

I love series with well developed complex characters.

Iris is also my favorite. I'm rooting for everyone, but Iris most of all, cause, quite frankly, she's the coolest.

I don't know about the poeple saying Mel is favoring Ashley, she's treating them all the same and giving them the same amount of opportunities.

It's true that she presented Ashley first bit that's the only instance of favouritism and honestly not much to feel so upset about.

Of course Iris has a right to her own feelings, and I honestly still don't fully understand why she's feeling down.

It hard to be a mother, depending on the kid they have different needs so amount of things you give aren't always equal, but she tried her best to be fair.

I honestly dont think it's about the favoritism that makes Iris upset. It's rather the idea of Ashley dressing up as princess. It's been mentioned that Iris never had the chance to dress up as the princess and instead had a witch costume. Also, the obvious treatment of Ashley as the prettiest of the sisters during social events and her having more invitations than the rest of the sisters is gradually pricking her. I think those events is what led her to feel insecure about herself and thus the negativity she exerts towards Ashley.

Dex-chan lover
I really hopes she corrects course before it's too late... Her favoritism isn't too strong just yet, but it's getting dangerous...

Users who are viewing this thread