Add origin language to homepage :planned:

Personally, I tend away from works on this site that were created in most countries other than Japan, like I'm sure many other people on here do.
Likewise, there are undoubtedly many people who only want to see works from China, Korea, or perhaps who simply want to know what the country of origin for a given work is.
Of course you can already filter by country of origin in the search screen, and there's even a flag beside the manga title that displays the origin country, but this icon doesn't show up when looking at the home or updates pages. Those 2 pages are the only places where you can see, at a glance, what chapters were last uploaded on the various works, and even seem to be filtered, by default, to only show updates in languages that you haven't hidden.

Given the fact that country of origin is already a database criteria, couldn't that same icon be placed next to the titles on those pages, to make deciding on what one might want to start reading even faster?

Dex-chan lover
It's hard to imagine that implementation of this feature could possibly take more than an hour.

So it's only reasonable to wait who knows how many more months until v5 gets released. :)

Dex-chan lover
In other words you're asking for the ability to blacklist/filter something based on the language of origin right? Quick answer go read the planned features list.

Not to blacklist/filter, no. Simply to have the flag icon display on those 2 pages I mentioned, so that I, and people like me, can make more easily informed decisions about what to click on at a glance.

Dex-chan lover
@pool_q
So the language of origin is more likely to influence your decision than tags/description, but just blocking based on that is not a good solution?

While the implementation of the suggested feature is most likely trivial, the question is the amount of visual confusion stemming from having two language flags on each entry and whether that's worth it.

Dex-chan lover
I see what you mean and while i'm not disinclined to agree with your suggestion I don't see the point of it when you could just block the origins you don't wish to see. Guess i'll take a neutral stance on this one.

so what is the current flag on the latest update page? Country of origin or language of latest update?

@sterven , @pool_q

ok, I was thinking of a different page. I use the titles page sorted by latest update. If he goes there it shows country of origin. If I'm understanding right, he's interested in new stuff to read since already selected I would think he wouldn't care one way or the other about the origin since he chose to read it. Seem like this might meet his needs. Plus he would get to see the description without having to jump in to the title.

Dex-chan lover
@schlo sorting by "last update" is performed based on every release. Because it doesn't respect chapter language filter, a recently updated manga might not have any chapters for you to read.

Main and the Updates pages show only updates for selected languages.

@Halo
true, but I figured it would be a quick fix since his initial problem seems to be country of origin when it comes to selecting new titles to read. Then a quick check would show if the manga had his language. It seems like if it is about manga he is already reading then country of origin wouldn't be important since he is already reading it and instead would just need to know if there is an update in the language(s) he reads. Maybe I'm reading his intentions wrong.

Dex-chan lover
@schlo
I doubt he'd even consider your suggestion he already finds it inconvenient to go to series page from the latest updates to find out the country of origin. What makes you think he'd take your advice when he also has to go to the series page to check for chapters.

Dex-chan lover
@schlo OP doesn't want to do that "quick check" you're suggesting:
Those 2 pages (the home or updates pages) are the only places where you can see, at a glance, what chapters were last uploaded on the various work.

An actual "quick fix" would be the devs spending 15~30 minutes of their time to modify a couple lines of code. And the implementation doesn't have to be perfect, since v5 is totally coming. But it will benefit a large number of users while we're all waiting on this unicorn to show itself.

Fed-Kun's army
@MrIncognito Yeah I think that too, two kind of flags on the home page (or any pages) would confuse most users. However we can add a setting for those who really want it, that is what kind of flag would be shown and they are mutually exclusive? I assume his language filter should only contain 1 language, or at least won't make a fuss over finding out the updated chapters belong to the far behind languages.

Dex-chan lover
Looks fine to me
pBgctpS.png

But making it optional is also an option.

That image is exactly what I was thinking of with my suggestion.

The database and HTML code for it would also be nearly effortless to implement, since it's already used on the search and titles pages, therefore not only does it already have an implemented precedent, but it also has to already be a predefined database parameter, which would otherwise be the hardest part of implementing something like this.
But yeah, as was discussed in the thread, I would like to be able to have the combined functionality of the already filtered home/updates pages, and the country of origin flags that are on the search/titles pages.

Is this a necessary addition? Not in the slightest. Does it only serve to feed the laziness of myself and others? Almost definitely.
But even so, with how copy-paste the implementation of this would be, I personally think it's worth the small time investment.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Halo I plan on giving Tachiyomi and Paperback an API endpoint they can scrape to reduce load on the server, and since I'm already at it, may as well as fulfill the very popular request of kissmanga users to add pagination to the front page that they've been asking for since two years ago. Always remember requests, just a matter of time till someone gets to them

Users who are viewing this thread