Akuyaku Reijou Tensei Oji-san (Web Comic) - Ch. 8

Aggregator gang
Others have already pointed it out, but... It's useless if they all learn the same magic language isn't it?

Dex-chan lover
@Spinaple @SakuraShower how quickly can you swap between your native language and another one you don't use daily?

The point isn't keeping it secret, the point is to keep other people from figuring out the spell quickly/immediately and causing the magic to not activate.

Also think of reading normal writing and cursive, especially someone else's cursive writing; you can figure it out, but not as fast as normal text.

@SunSun Aah, that makes sense. Although I speak three languages, I use them in various degrees every day so I can't exactly answer the first question. My Chinese is pretty weak but I'm confident I can recognise basic characters at first glance.

Fed-Kun's army
Tbh, His/Her response to the golem is actually creative. Magic is usually overly exaggerated in a lot of cases or very extravagant and some simplicity shows creativity imo.

@ SunSun I think even with their normal language, the handwriting argument can be applied. I don't think the ancient language is necessary if that were the case.

But like @ SakuraShower said, if you practice the language often enough, you can easily recognize what is being written. So, I really don't understand why they're all learning the same language. Someone/some people is/are bound to become more proficient in that language and therefore be able to read other people's attacks (especially if we don't consider the handwriting argument and only taking into consideration that they are STILL battling the notion that other people know the language). There's no difference between speaking one language that people use every day versus casting spells with a language that everyone knows.

It could also be as someone else said that it's more to do with 'intention'... in which case...

Maybe they should all just create their own language. Lol

Dex-chan lover
I'd say the main point is intention and the ability to monopolize the intention. Even if you understand it when I go:

if target=hostile:
cast(disarm)
else:
cast=null

It'll probably take more time to register in your mind than if it said "disarm only enemies", and that time is enough to get the spell out. Granted, people who are proficient in the magic might disrupt it, but that's what would make them good mages, right? And yeah, a secret language would be the best way and probably something noble families do.

Users who are viewing this thread