Alice in Hell - Vol. 6 Ch. 43 - Damn Idiots!

Well.... not the ending I was waiting for. A lot of places for our imagination to finish the story.

Sucks that Shuu let its humanity go with all the progress we saw.

Dex-chan lover
Still mental as ever shuu.I smiled at the ending,weird ride to the end. Thank you illuminati manga, been following the series for years, F5'ing your site for more.

Dex-chan lover
So they believe that the solution to overpopulation is finding more space and water resources? I wonder whether they do not realize that eventually that space and water resources will run out too.

So they believe that the solution to overpopulation is finding more space and water resources? I wonder whether they do not realize that eventually that space and water resources will run out too.

@criver I don't think population control and the like would have much effect in a society where people blast the shit out of each other with rpg's, rape corpses, and whatnot.

Fri

Double-page supporter
what a weird ending (in a good way). thanks for finishing this

Dex-chan lover
@ckrit Economic sanctions have always had an effect. If people decide to start shooting due to that, then you still get a decrease in population. Trying to find new places is certainly not a sustainable solution.

Double-page supporter
Congratulations! For finishing this manga :O But man that was kinda anticlimactic ending

Double-page supporter
Did Shuu really survived? I don't think it matters to the story. I found that these stories tend to have a line in between: stories about the world (the society, human nature etc...) and stories about the characters. Here, we can see the author is more concerned with telling the story about human society than about an insane sniper in the desert. I always think of Desert Punk against this. They both have vaguely similar themes but the difference between the tone and focus is very clear. Both are enjoyable but the survival of the characters in desert punk is much more integral to the story than this. You can even include Gunnm. The point is there's a knock on effect for this. Commentary stories like these are usually planned out pretty well to have a beginning and an end. When we write an essay, we are expecting to have our points all planned out. Compare that to characters focus, journey based stories like Gunnm, Desert Punk or the ultimate journey that never ends: Berserk. They can sketch for hundreds of chapters because life can be very very long if we write it down in comic form. This is why I admire Jiro. While his stories have always been sexual, confusing, controversial and even sadistic, he's not afraid to create a project that has a beginning and an end. All of the aforementioned character focus works are awesome, epic and worth every piece of papers but since they have been writing for so long, it muddled their message. Jiro can do new things with each new works while Miura has been occupied by Berserk for 30 years now! Sometime, a work of art should be a reflection of its time. A work spanning 30 years in this ever changing world would inevitably change the spirit of the creation somewhat. Many consider the Golden Age arc to be Berserk, well, golden age and that was released in 1991, 2 years after its inception. I would describe Gunnm the exact same way. Gunnm is most memorable within its first 5 volumes. In fact, had it ended at the head guy revenge at the end of Vol.5?, it would have been sufficient. But it went for until this very day. This is why dragging a work out for decades might not be the best idea. I would imagine it being more financially sensible for author however. Just look at a dragged out work that's actually ended: Mahou Sensei Negima. The tone at the beginning and the end have completely switched. My biggest gripe with it, despite owning volumes of it, is even after more than 300 chapters and 38 volumes, costing 500 dollars that I am never going to get back, still omitted an entire chunk of story. So much so, Akamatsu has enough material to create another series. It's a shame Jiro works are so controversial, they are not always translated and released. I prefer owning Freesia, which sits in a small comfortable corner, than Dragon Balls, Gunnm and MSN, which looks awesome, but are actually frustratingly expensive, unnecessarily so.

It's the only reasonable ending. I see why some people might be disappointed, but that's just rose-tinted glasses and wishful thinking.
Shuu was a madman and after Alamo massacre he cemented that path. After all that happened in previous chapters you just don’t go back to Commune with a white picket fence house. His only option is desert, and in desert you survive by sniping bandit loot.

shuu ended up growing a lot in the end. now he can harass people on his stoop, and off his stoop as well.

I thought the ending was fine to be honest, really it ended last chapter, this was basically just an epilogue. I would have preferred a bit more ambiguity over Shuu's fate, although I noticed it ends more or less the same as the chapter near the beginning where Makilda returns to take Shuu to the commune, he's probably more likely to pull the trigger on Eliza now though.
Also I think this kind of story really benefits from being read all in one go too, when you slowly read it over the course of a year or two you forget just how a short a space of time the actual story takes place in, and just how quickly everything goes up in flames for everyone.

@emmypacer I don't have the energy to re-read this. By now I'm sort of glad it's over. There's only so much "Mad Max" manga I can stomach.

Dex-chan lover
Welp, I started reading this specifically because of this image, glad it got included at the end

EeCyPXh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread