Amai Seikatsu - Vol. 8 Ch. 74 - The reason it doesn't stand

Dex-chan lover
Yup that would be traumatizing
tenor.gif

Thank you @saintguardian !

Double-page supporter
I already hated his mother, now I despise her. It's illogical to punish someone for something his body does on its own. And for him to hate himself to that point... I can relate to it far too well. You gotta love PTSD.

Alert: Long-ish, very personal story
While I was never punished for something like Shinsuke went through, I was physically and emotionally abused by my mother and her family, and made to hate myself. Being called "ugly", "disgusting" and other loving terms of endearment like that led to me feeling I wasn't good enough for anyone. It came to the point where despite wishing someone would care about me, and having a codependent personality disorder, I avoid relationships beyond friendship. It didn't help that the only time I had a boyfriend who lived in the same country as me(FTR, I'm woman, albeit an ugly one), my mother and her family would judge him, speak ill of him and sometimes abuse his trust. That led to me hiding any LDRs (they ended badly anyway) and just being uninterested in people.

Also, the feeling of being ugly and disgusting, due to always having had weight problems, led to me agreeing to undergo plastic surgery, which I regretted all my life, and as an act of rebellion against my mother, I let myself go weight-wise, making me uglier as a result. However, I feel much more comfortable that way, as I can simply not fit anyone's standards and be myself. All of this, plus therapy, made me realize that even without the trauma of the shit I went through, I was already uninterested in men or women, leading to me coming out as ace.

The way I see it, Shinsuke's trauma leads to him loving making underwear as a craft, and wishing women feel great and everything from a production point of view. He's sort of an ace at the moment, and dealing with someone who's not into intercourse or is wishing to wait, and is unable to feel much for anyone, is quite hard. A lot of people think that getting fucked fixes it, but for those who've gone through traumas such as Shinsuke's, or mine, or many other people in the world, it doesn't work that way.

There's also the fact that he comes from a very old-fashioned family, and being the submissive kind of guy he is also leads to him following his mother's teachings blindly. That's why he admitted before that he didn't feel mature enough to be in a relationship and that he wasn't ready to take responsibility. For a lot of people, that sounds ridiculous, since we're in the very sex-oriented 21st century, but considering the kind of family he's a part of, and how his mother and sisters treated him, he feels a ton of pressure about having to be a "proper gentleman". I only fear the kind of punishment he had to go through due to being the only guy in the family.

TL;DR Shinsuke's a bit of an asexual guy due to his trauma, and people still don't know how to deal with that.

Dex-chan lover
His mom is an absolute cunt for reacting the way she did, considering that it only happened because his sisters quite literally sexually abused him.

@saintguardian
Thanks for your work as always.

Aggregator gang
Wow thats some traumatic shit for Edo.

And kid me not it might have stirred some bad memories for some readers too. I can't speak for them.. but imo it's good the manga included something like this.

The mom as an authoritative figure in society was quick to judge and punish the male member in these situations... Whether its sexual or physical abuse males are so often profiled as the perpetrator with little room for defense. The sisters are absolute ass but got away scot free after ganging up on a kid. By the looks of it, I dont think they ever apologized too!

I hope Wakamiya takes this opportunity to help Edo face his family and soothe his trauma.

Double-page supporter
Wow, no wonder he has issues, his family literally fucked with him so much, he's developed intimacy issues and then wonder why he is the way he is.

Dex-chan lover
That's some trauma, yep; especially if he's 11 or 12 years old. And the thing with his sister? With his mom immediately deciding he's the guilty party?
And then his entire adult life being under her thumb.... I'm not surprised he's messed up!

I'm proud the boy hasn't killed himself, the way a lot of younger men do in Japan.

This seems to have taken a really dark turn, and I applaud Wakamiya-San for not taking advantage of his vulnerability, right then; makes her seem like an actual decent person.... and differentiates her from all the women in his family!

@saintguardian you can always use my comments, unless I specify otherwise.
(Not that the dice gods are ever kind to me, outside of THAC0)

Group Leader
@MangaOverAnime , @moel , @andrmnh , @biznizz , @Kaiser92 , @Seraphus Yeah, she gave him MAYBE some PTSD but I'm not a shrink. I know his brain is messed up now and fears sex. Well, if anyone has the love and compassion, it's Yumika.

@moel You are welcome. Look forward to the non-April Fool's chapter.

@ElBichoRaro I am sorry you experienced something of that sort. I have experienced a little myself of what you have done but that's from past relationships. I'm seeing a shrink myself in hopes to resolve the issues I have with myself and get back out there. So far, it's going pretty well. I'm depressed a lot less and when I do get depressed, I don't stay long. I concentrate on what is causing me stress and talk it over. I am still not taking care of myself so I have also let myself go. One step at a time, right? I am sure you will be a lot better as you appear to be a really decent person. The fact you cut the toxic people from your life also shows you are able to identify the toxic people. That's a huge step forward. I still disagree with you on the whole asexual thing because he has told and shown that he finds women sexually attractive and not men. If he acted the same way with both men and women, who have hit on him hard, then I would agree with you. From my perspective, the asexual thing that he has shown is normal(?) or at least normal in my eyes.

@BanditHadron The dice gods have chosen you again. May I use your comment on the first page?

@andrmnh The fact that the mangaka included this, in what appears to be a harem manga, shows how much he/she is trying to show off their characters. The mangaka could have written it off as something else that screams standard harem but didn't.

@Seraphus You never know, it could come up that you get chosen. We got a LONG while to go before we finish the first season. I'll do my best to remember to tag you here (in the comment section of that chapter) if you do get chosen.

holy shit, no wonder he's got issues. Any guy would have issues with a family like that. I'm surprised he didnt get ED or something from that trauma.

Dex-chan lover
After seeing how he interacted with his mom and sister when they visited I figured it'd be something like this. That'd be enough to screw up anyone to some degree.

Users who are viewing this thread