Ane no Tomodachi - Vol. 1 Ch. 7

Dex-chan lover
Hii chan is adorable but I love Tsukko more she just give a mommy vibe

Some people here are being ridiculous. Hina and Tsukko are best friends, of course Tsukko wants to spend time with her on her freaking birthday. Tsukko doesn't have any obligation to help her little brother (especially when he didn't ask), yet she still gave him a bunch of time alone with her best friend on a very special day. A day when she knew would rain like hell, mind you! If anything she was a saint this chapter. She could have been there from the beginning. Plus it's her house, why shouldn't she come home?

It's on little bro to not be a gigantic wimp and squander the opportunity. He had plenty of time, just didn't use it wisely, and Tsukko obviously isn't a wizard and can't know if things went well or not, she probably just trusted he would make a move in the extra time she gave him (which again makes the failure his fault).
Yeah he could tell his sissta to mind her fkn business..

Group Leader
I think that's their point. If she was looking to do him a favor, then She would've done so better by staying at a hotel for the night.
Literally no one would ever do this unless they were specifically asked to. What kind of expectation is this???
"Bro why did you come to your own home when you could have, like, booked a hotel somewhere else in the middle of the day and ignored your best friend's birthday?"

the two of them only spent like what 2-3 hours together that day (no more than the usual time they spend together).
She could have had the day off, that's the point. She left the house so the two of them could have time alone when she could have stayed home all day and celebrated with Hina, which I'm sure she'd have loved to (hence him oweing her one).

I love how people in these threads completely excuse the absolute failure on the little brother's part, like the fact he's been in love with this girl for ages yet somehow has not managed to confess his feelings once and keeps purposefully being obtuse with her from the moment this manga began, but the sister coming to her own home like usual is somehow cock blocking that deserves scorn. Lol. Lmao even.

Look, I know it's not great writing either. I wish the author wouldn't constantly make these scenarios myself because it is frustrating to read. But speaking in-universe, the sister literally hasn't done anything bad here, she's just going about her life. Blame the author if anything.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Literally no one would ever do this unless they were specifically asked to. What kind of expectation is this???
"Bro why did you come to your own home when you could have, like, booked a hotel somewhere else in the middle of the day and ignored your best friend's birthday?"
Considering the Sister's location, where she was at distant that she needed to take either the train or car in order to get home, it's not so outlandish as you think for some to opt to stay at a hotel for the night if they deemed it necessary. This is a bit exemplified as the sister explained that the assistant professor had driven her home. This is, unless I'm mistaken, the same assistant whose daughter the sister tutors, and as such is close enough acquaintances that I doubt they'd have minded letting the sister stay over for the night.

She could have had the day off, that's the point. She left the house so the two of them could have time alone when she could have stayed home all day and celebrated with Hina, which I'm sure she'd have loved to (hence him oweing her one).
Except, she already made plans with Hina to spend the day with her the week after, as Hina had mentioned earlier in the chapter. So it's not like the sister was going to miss out on anything when it came to spending time with Hina. All in all, she didn't really give the brother anything special that warrants him owing her one.

I love how people in these threads completely excuse the absolute failure on the little brother's part, like the fact he's been in love with this girl for ages yet somehow has not managed to confess his feelings once and keeps purposefully being obtuse with her from the moment this manga began, but the sister coming to her own home like usual is somehow cock blocking that deserves scorn. Lol. Lmao even.
Hey, I'm not claiming the brother is completely faultless. But let's be honest, it's already been established that the way he acts, as well as his inability to quickly step up and proclaim his love is a result of his sister's "raising" and "conditioning" him as that. Almost every aspect of the brother had been molded by the Sister to fit her demands, and among one those aspects is complete obedience. Notice how for the most part, it's Hina who takes initiate; now sure you could say that's him being spineless (and I would agree to an extent), but that's also due to the sister simply not giving him her permission. Most of his actions taken are all done with the mindset that they wouldn't bother and/or upset his sister or put him in her crosshair.

If the Sister was actually supportive and actually wanted the two of them to advance their relationship (while also not minding that she couldn't hold the reins of said relationship), I imagine she could've gave him a quick text (any time of the day) saying, "I'll be gone for a few hours today. Take care of Hina, and try not to be a wuss." That would've actually not only shown the sister giving her permission/blessing, but also gave the brother the go-ahead and probably motivation to initiate something with Hina, and any failure to do so would lie solely with him.
Look, I know it's not great writing either. I wish the author wouldn't constantly make these scenarios myself because it is frustrating to read. But speaking in-universe, the sister literally hasn't done anything bad here, she's just going about her life. Blame the author if anything.
Trust me, I actually don't hate the sister, since I can actually understand her character and see her motivation. She's actually the most interesting character in this manga. If anything I dislike Hina who gets jealous at the drop of a hat, like over why the brother was in cooking club... I mean he went out of his way to prepare something for your birthday, and then you get jealous over him being in the cooking club, thinking he's doing it to get close to a girl...

But I digress. I have nothing against the sister, but I certainly wouldn't say that she did him any noteworthy favors, besides letting him live with her (although the biggest reason for that was so she can have someone cook and clean for her....).

the sister really comes off as a saitama level of cock blocker for the MC and FMC lol....like there's nothing they can do to stop her she exists purely to cock block
Yeah I think the author misstepped in making the two already so fallen for each other to the point that they basically have no excuse not to be dating, that they have to constantly reach for excuses to interrupt their relationship progress otherwise the manga's gonna be over in a volume. It would've been easier for the author if the two were further apart and they could spend time depicting how they grow close (e.g. like in the fucking GOAT SoL romcom atm Ogami Tsumiki)

On top of that, they haven't yet come up with any other real inner pathos or character development that the characters have to work on first which leaves "oops, sister" as the only tool in their repertoire at the moment, but it starts to stain the sister's character in a way since she keeps being used to hamper the MC.

(Slight tangent, but you see a similar issue with the "wife" character in live action TV shows -- like in Breaking Bad or Walking Dead, the writers end up accidentally using one character as a foil for elements of the main character too much and suddenly fans go "god I fucking hate Skyler" and the writers are like "??? Skyler did nothing wrong! Walt is a bad person and has murdered people!! Why don't you like her???" and well, it's because the protagonist is our POV and Skyler is constantly used to block or irritate him so obviously that gets projected onto the audience, regardless of morality. If she were the protagonist this issue wouldn't exist, but she isn't and storytelling structure and pace matters, so here we are.)

Dex-chan lover
MC: He wants to celebrate her birthday. Then he proceeds to make her a multi-course meal and gives her a gift.

FMC: She is so happy with the celebration that she lets her feelings for him leak out.

Some readers: What a failure! MC is a gigantic wimp who doesn't squander the opportunity.

Group Leader
My man there's no doubt anymore, go for it (he did get cockblocked by the sister again lol).

Also, taking cooking classes to cook for your crush, way to go.

Fed-Kun's army
Honestly it's starting to seem like a case of purposefully bad writing to me.
Like others have already pointed out , it's like the sister only exists to prolong the relationship from progressing into something tangible.
In other rom-com's they usually start as frenemies/rivals/friends and gradually progress to confession and then dating.
The manga did a speedrun and progressed it to more than friends less than lovers at a brisk pace which means that there isn't any opportunity to really introduce any love rivals or c*ckblocks except for the sister who has an established relationship with the friend from the start.

While I adore the relationship that Asahi and Hina have I feel that the author is trying to use the sister to pointlessly drag it out for extra sales.
I'll continue reading this , but if it becomes one of those situations where the Asahi and Hina keep getting c*ckblocked then I'll probably drop it despite really liking their overall relationship.

Dex-chan lover
I’m so numb to cockblocks that I’m more surprised when the kiss or whatever else actually pulls through. Also bro doesn’t owe you shit, it’s the opposite if anything.

It’s legit like she’s hiding behind the door at this point with all these ‘coincidences’

Dex-chan lover
Yeah I think the author misstepped in making the two already so fallen for each other to the point that they basically have no excuse not to be dating, that they have to constantly reach for excuses to interrupt their relationship progress otherwise the manga's gonna be over in a volume. It would've been easier for the author if the two were further apart and they could spend time depicting how they grow close (e.g. like in the fucking GOAT SoL romcom atm Ogami Tsumiki)

On top of that, they haven't yet come up with any other real inner pathos or character development that the characters have to work on first which leaves "oops, sister" as the only tool in their repertoire at the moment, but it starts to stain the sister's character in a way since she keeps being used to hamper the MC.

(Slight tangent, but you see a similar issue with the "wife" character in live action TV shows -- like in Breaking Bad or Walking Dead, the writers end up accidentally using one character as a foil for elements of the main character too much and suddenly fans go "god I fucking hate Skyler" and the writers are like "??? Skyler did nothing wrong! Walt is a bad person and has murdered people!! Why don't you like her???" and well, it's because the protagonist is our POV and Skyler is constantly used to block or irritate him so obviously that gets projected onto the audience, regardless of morality. If she were the protagonist this issue wouldn't exist, but she isn't and storytelling structure and pace matters, so here we are.)
That’s more an issue of perspective, you mostly see things from Walt’s perspective and so you end up routing for him subconsciously despite all the terrible things he’s done. Skyler is seen as a direct obstacle to this, because unlike Hank, she knows very early on. Plus Walt is an amazing manipulator, even to the point that the audience doesn’t really care about him poisoning a kid as much as they should. If you’d seen it from her perspective the opinion would shift.

Dex-chan lover
I already hate these kinds of borderline "im so perfect" characters but outside the cockblocking the sister is truly the most plain character in this series whose only reason to exist was to introduce the femc as her friend and to slow the pace, truly annoying.

Dex-chan lover
She wants to help them get closer however she doesn't want her best friend to be come her sister in law before she gets a husband herself. More over her brother is still studying so she doesn't what him to start slacking because he get a girlfriend.
It could also be the factor of Japanese culture where getting romantic on ones own house is a bit impolite, hence why their are so many love hotels in Japan.

Thanks everyone at Shadow-sama Scans for the translation

Dex-chan lover
She helped him out and then immediately cockblocked him. Devilish.
She has no purpose in the story other than being a massive cockblock. She is pretty omnipotent and omnipresent when it comes to halting the progress (she appears at the exact correct moment like she has fucking sensors everywhere) which makes it very annoying because it is so obvious. Not even mentioning the 4000 IQ cliche god of knowledge behaviour. She is very bland.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread