Angel or Villainess - Ch. 26

Fed-Kun's army
@Aurantix
By doing this, the author changed the position of Angela from "bitch with undetermined issues" to "victim, with very specific issues".
So having an antagonist that the readers don't understand why they're doing the things they do is better then having an antagonist that does?

I respect your opinion but I find Angela's character to be much more interesting then your regular villainess who hates the mc because they just do. The trauma flashbacks are interesting enough(to me since I don't see it often in this genre type) and can serve as a nice gateway to develop an important character, Angela, on her motives and reasonings behind the things she's done in a somewhat mysterious way. 'Why does she hate pink?' 'Why did she call out for her mom?' 'What does her mom have to do with this?' Sure it can play out in her becoming a victim of something that's happened in the past but Its not going to change much on what we know about Angela in the present. It doesn't seem like she's being used as a puppet by some evil mastermind so she's probably done all the terrible actions towards others(including Jayna) willingly. Honestly it's up to the reader to sympathize with her or not. If you still believe the author was in the wrong for trying to develop Angela, then fair enough, your opinion. Thanks for reading my word wall and giving it some thought I suppose.

lol... it would be great, if Jayna influence ball theme and all girls would wear a pink 🤣

woah is angela traumatised or something? i hate her but using her trauma as her weakness is not really ...

Dex-chan lover
Knowing Angela’s past, it is sad and I feel bad for her, too bad she still acted like shit... for such a shit reason too

By doing this, the author changed the position of Angela from "bitch with undetermined issues" to "victim, with very specific issues".
It does not make her a better person, nor does it change the fact that she's evil, it doesn't even redeem her, nor justify her enough for us to understand her. It just makes her a terrible person, who seems to be a victim.

It's just terrible writing.

I don't really agree with this. I think people can be victims and bad people as well, and that doesn't make writing less realistic. Real life is more complicated than just victim vs perpetrator, and bad people usually do have issues beyond just their behavior. Just because someone has a bad backstory, as you said, doesn't mean they're not a bad person... So why is it wrong to have a villain with a bad background or a sucky life story? Are they supposed to all live flowery lives, and then it would be good writing? That line of thinking doesn't make coherent sense.

edit (addendum):
TL;DR my point is all people, whether you deem them good or bad, are capable of having trauma and baggage, so characters can as well.

Sort of thinking the boy in the park will have a different reason for saying "first and final" time rather than the deathly illness that Jayna imagined. They can't be building up this rabbit and not have it be some kind of magic sidekick or something.... right?

@satoruuu they already kind of used it, Jayna made her bedroom pink in Ch 3 and Angela freaked out, and then the maids were annoyed.
I don't have a lot of sympathy for Angela though, given she would become a powerful queen and kill/take away everyone Jayna loves, I'd be using anything available to prevent that, victim trauma or not.

Thanks to the translators for the chapter! (And mangadex for coming back from the dead lol)

Dex-chan lover
garbage

wasting time with that bunny and generic dude for most of this chapter, then pulling that shit with angela, nah, she still deserves to get stomped

@Pandoot

I'm not annoyed at getting character development or getting to know more about a character, I'm just miffed by the execution of it.
It's just enough to make a situation look bad, but not enough to make the reader sympathise.

This author has pretty decent ideas but, seems also very unwilling to diverge the story from the strict frame they built for it, which is basically:

-Jayna wants revenge
-She has no idea why or how Angela did it
-But her revenge is justified

Which would be ok, if the author weren't constantly throwing a "but wait":
-maybe Angela went through some awful shit
-maybe there was something else going on
-maybe Cassiel didn't stop loving Jayna willingly

Without the characters (mostly Jayna) actually DEVELOPING with them.
Like, there seems to be some development, but then there's a scene switch, and Jayna (and the other characters) acting like some of it never happened.
It just feels like the author is informing the reader, but making it so none of it matters in the story.

Also speaking of the pink weakness, as someone already pointed out, it's kind of inconsistent.
First it was supposed to be a generalised abhorrence.
But then she was fine seeing people dressed in pink, seeing a Lady with pink hair, getting presents wrapped in pink, all of it without her having any reaction.
And now suddenly the reaction is back? But it's only for dresses? Then why the freak out over the room?

I get she hates pink, but isn't it bound for other ladies to wear pink at the ball?? What will she do then..?

i literally hate how authors do this like do not understand it it's still not putting the villainess into a good light. don't try to put the villain as some terrible person with no morals and then give her a backstory seriously. the only thing it's gonna do for the story is to make it longer and stretch it unnecessarily.

As for the issue with Angela and the color pink, I think her trigger has more to do with the mind set that the color "belongs to her" versus it belonging to "someone else's". For example: The pink decorated room at the beginning. That room was going to be Angela's permanent new residences inside Jayne's house, so she freaked out because while she wouldn't be wearing the pink color, it would be surrounding her constantly on a daily bases. Something like that would be akin to a person who has a clown phobia being locked inside a room where clowns are decorated into every space of the room. The experience would be overwhelming suffocating to such a person. Now compare that to how other people might wear pink, those dresses not something Angela actually owns and will only see the color temporary because it's not physically attached to her person. So I think it has more to do with the concept of whether or not the pink color actually belongs to her versus if it belongs to someone else.

And no, I'm not trying to start a fight here over the issue, I'm just trying to give my own two cents on the issue since I know a person who experienced something similar. Everyone's mind works and reacts differently, so this is just one open interpretation to the issue. It's all about how a person can mentally and emotionally categorize something to make the issue more manageable for their life on a daily bases. Anyways, it still doesn't change the fact that I hate Angela herself, regardless of her terrible past situation that led her to becoming as twisted as she is inside. I'm sorry, but I firmly believe that trauma does not define you, it shapes you - yes certainly - but you alone are the only one who can decides whether or not you'll use that trauma as an excuse to hurt others or evolve yourself past it and into a better person. Angela, sadly, gladly choose the former because she allowed her trauma to attach itself to all the negative emotions in her life and
because it was much easier to just use brain-washing magic to get what she wanted without any of the hard work involved.

Honestly, what really bothers me is Angela's reasoning behind her actions. While it's all so very easy to envy and hate someone simply because their life worked out better when yours didn't, I find it rather boring how people willingly choose to go down that path of "I'll take everything away from you because it should have been mine from the beginning!" To me, what really would have made for a good story, would have been if Angela tried to free herself from her past trauma and tried earnestly to compete with Jayne in a more friendly and rivalry manner. Like, "I want the best and I know you have the best but I'm going to earn the best for myself as well, while competing with you. May the best of us both win!" Something like that would have definitely made for a much better story, at least to me. I truly don't enjoy reading villain stories where the author has made it so that you want to outright hate them, instead of giving them a chance to grow into better people instead. Angela really does have a lot of potential as a character who could grow herself and help improve Jayne through a friendly competition, but it's all wasted because of how the author wrote her and for letting her trauma completely warp her mind like it has.

Anyways, that's my opinion, take it as you will. :D

idk why she hates pink. and idk abt yall but I dont give 2 fuckity fucks abt her tramua. still a bitch alwatys a bitch . periodddtt

Users who are viewing this thread