Any books change your life? Literally?

* this is out of context *
@mrf
can i copy ur above post
and is the answer of your last riddle LIFE ?
please reply

mrf

@PIPSON2
Sure you can copy it.

I don't get it, did I put a riddle there?

Oh and don't just copy it, there's some grammar error there.
Becareful your brain will do tricks on you.
A sentence in the wrong order, but you read it just fine, eh?

The Dictionary, because it turned me into a grammar nazi... not really, but as a non-native speaker i'm glad they exist (the grammar nais, i mean, they kinda do the dictionary search for me)

The Neverending story, its a great adventure book on the surface but behind lurks a very compelling essay about the nature of narration and the way it has to be reinvented for every generation, also, it has pretty great themes for a child's book

I can't remember the title of the short story by Zenna Henderson, only that it wasn't part of her People series. It might have been in the collection The Anything Box. It was about a grade school teacher that could bring the stories and lessons the class did to life-the kids were chickens and the sky was falling when they read "Chicken Little," or the wolf was blowing down the classroom door in "Three Little Pigs." But each time, no matter how scared the kids were, the teacher would continue the story and everything would come back to normal. You can get through anything if you keep turning the pages. The teacher disappeared partway through the year, and only one kid-the narrator-really remembered her at all at their class reunion as adults. And narrator notices at the reunion how all of his classmates are 'stuck' in parts of the stories-one's afraid of everything like when they were Chicken Little, etc. They've all forgotten how to keep turning the pages.
Being introduced to Mercedes Lackey's Valdamar series at a young age, particularly the Magic's trilogy (Pawn/Promise/Price) with the main character being gay, led to my seeing no good reason for discriminating based on gender or sexual orientation before I was even really aware of such things; just as much as watching Star Trek and Babylon 5 made racial and religious discrimination seem idiotic and backward. Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, and 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell also made a strong impression as a case for not censoring news and media, nor forgetting or rewriting history.

For me, this is the book that changed my perspective about my creativity and my mindset about the thing that I've created. It's written by the same author who wrote The War of Art.

The Intro to the Book Thus Zerastia Spoke
I know that wasn't the title but that's just how I sound it out in my head
then I knew everything
and I wanted to watch ergo proxy with my friends
and that was enough for me
(for just one moment)|that I've already forgotten|
I can just reread it
https://mangadex.org/thread/49892/2
THE ANTI CHRIST CHANGED MY LIFE

All the books I've found in spanish of Vonnegut, metro 2033-2035, Futu.re (glukovsky), Mark Twain, Bradury, Bruno Traven, a few of Palahniuk (Fight club, etc.)

Dex-chan lover
-Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.

Writing about the Harlem Renaissance, Invisible Man is a novel about absurdism, existentialism, and critiques Marxism, Racism, Identity Politics and seeks to find what the purpose in life is for people who are disenfranchised by life. The main character has no name. He comes to realize that he has no place in society, that any grand narrative about his life, and how others try to use him for their own ends, is simply that. The truth is the light and the light is the truth. All of it is pointless, and he should embrace himself for what he is and not what others think of him.

Absolutely any book may change your life. It takes time to change your behavior and mindset. When I was facing problems with hopelessness and lack of confidence. One book changed my life that was Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill. It is the best book of self-help. It gave me hope to live better and more joyful life. If you are facing a lack of hope then you should read Think and Grow Rich. It will change your life. https://www.7dollaressay.com

I'm not much of a reader, and my life was a bit unconventional, but there were some books that changed it.
Making Comics, by Scott McCloud, taught me how people's emotions and motivations worked (in the chapter on characters), as well as basic body language and just generally introducing me to new ways to communicate. (I was weird back then.)
2001: A Space Odyssey, by Arthur C. Clarke, taught me that you should shouldn't jump to conclusions about people based on their actions, but instead learn about their intentions. (I saw the Kubrick movie first. The movie showed what Hal did. The book explained why. Kyubey Hal did nothing wrong!) This in turn inspired me to be proud of my thinking process. Just because I'm missing a few key human instincts does not make me "irrational". I'm just, like HAL 9000, operating under different starting conditions.
Code:
[holy book corresponding to my respective religion]
, by ______, taught me not to be spoonfed answers and instead come to my own conclusions, by making less sense the closer you examine it. (It helps that I learned
Code:
[modern dialect of original language in which book was written]
as a second language.)
Breakfast of Champions, by Kurt Vonnegut, taught me not to be a professional writer, as well as to see people as mechanical devices, which was a useful coping mechanism when my relative's brain sprung a leak.
Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes, taught me how the masses view intelligence, wisdom, happiness, popularity, and the absence of the above. I didn't agree with all of it. It also taught me what happens to people who are forced to be "normal" when they're not. That, I agreed with.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon (which over a dozen people independently asked me to read), taught me not to be that guy. Not if you can help it. You don't have to be obsessed with what other people think of you, but tone yourself down in public. At least a little.
Dr. Seuss taught me not to make up words when rhyming. It's hacky.
C. S. Lewis taught me how not to espouse an agenda through literature, as well as that you should probably stop defending an argument when you have to change the definition of words in your original argument to make it true (his essay on theodicy is basically that God is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent for some value of "omnibenevolent").
The works of Jonathan Swift taught me about satire, irony, and--through them--SARCASM!
The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett taught me that originality's a myth, logical consistency an illusion, and humor our greatest defense against whatever dangers we can't stop.

Lastly, various issues of the DSM taught professionals to shoehorn my brain into little pre-written boxes in order to get treatment. If that didn't change my life, nothing did.

Except for Dr. Seuss, the DSM, and
Code:
[holy book]
, I read all of these as a teenager. I don't know if I regret it, but I can't undo it.

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn most influenced me, I think. I can say that there are a lot of intriguing topics for reflection and writing essays in novel. This is an excellent continuation of the series of adventures of Tom Sawyer written by Mark Twain. I really like the main character, how he is revealed and his story.

Every other book I read had a part in making me who I am today... I specifically read books to be able to see through others’ eyes, or figure how to face ‘situations’, or simply- how to talk or converse with other, to begin with I read to learn, but I end up enjoying the MC’s adventure throughout... the books with magic, adventures but certain depth had major influence on me, which includes Peter Pan, The chronicles of Narnia, even Gulliver Travels, but the one which affected me the most was “Children of the lamp” series. All the things, except magic, in that book, is so realistic, I happen to experience many similar things simultaneously as I read about them in there, it taught me how to deal with them lot. I’m glad I stumbled across them in library.
But truthfully, my life encountered a turning point when I was in last 2 years of high school, at that point these books and anime, somehow turned me more mature to be able to face situations, ‘and do the next right thing?’ They taught me and gave me courage, I could analyse my own situation, figure out who’s friend who’s not...people who only think good about me and who don’t- I was suddenly able to differentiate between them. I also found deep songs and poems helpful to figure my own feelings out.

Hmm. my English Dictionary(Garfield Edition). I learned to spell words better and also learned new words just by reading the comics it have. Because of that I have never failed a score on a spelling exam when I was still in elementary and high school.

To Kill a Mockingbird, a great book that change my perspective
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. He is a great writer, i love his book but this one is the best. Its a philosophical book about life and dream.
Orange Girl by Jostein Gaarder. Another great writer. This book is my favorite one. It may look like an ordinary romance novel but once u read it, it's actually has a deeper meaning of love and life.

Dex-chan lover
From recent memory, Xenophon's Anabasis. Xenophon himself might be very biased on a lot of things, but the stuff he just sort of takes for granted is by far interesting enough to change your perspective on a many things about the ancient world. Mostly how precarious the existence of small cities and especially villages seemed to be back them. The fact that it's an easy read and framed by a tense and unusual survival story make it one of the most enjoyable from the period, in my opinion.

Also, W B Yeats' Fairy and Folk Tales of Ireland. Not really life-changing or anything, but it's given me a wealth of short stories to tell and bring up to this day. It's been a very handy topic on hikes and walks.

Into Thin Air, one of the very few books I've read but as someone who kept to comfort zone this book made me want step out of it, and try some new stuff as scary as it may seem. It got me into working out and actually help me get rid of my socially anxieties.

All the books on psychology that I read one way or another changed me. They revealed to me the real me.

Users who are viewing this thread