Any books change your life? Literally?

Group Leader
@Dreambaby maybe a list, i am inyerested.

I read . The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life. well it changes my mindset of what's life for.

Dex-chan lover
Where the wild things. I read it as a child and even then I found it insulting to my intelligence. Then many winter later; I heard there was movie coming out. I found my old book and read it again to confirm that my book didn't have any ripped pages. To my surprise... No; the book was just damn short

Double-page supporter
There was one book that literally changed my life. It has a lot of titles but in general it called "Alphabet book" 😎

Amongst the many books that influenced my life, "Animal Farm" and "1984" (by George Orwell) secure top-rank: a lot of my disbelief in modern society and the way it is organized derives from those books.

"The grapes of Wrath" by Steinbeck also top-rank...

Finally, not books but 2 papers that explain a lot about the world: "The economics of the coming spaceship earth" by Kenneth Boulding and "The tragedy of the commons" by Garett Hardin.

For everyone, or not for everyone: the bible-- whether i adhered to every word of the Word or not, or had my doubts/critiques-- the way i think, how my morals and perspectives for life have developed, and how they will continue to develop-- it is all in some way, shape, or form influenced by the words in that book.
Other than that i have multiple books i would totally read again:
"The Walled City" by Ryan Graudin was the first action young adult book i read that was no cheese, no messy love triangle/over-emphasis on romance, or supposed "strong female lead", but it was a raw story told from the perspectives of three young people trying to survive and escape an corrupt, overcrowded, almost dystopian city: a street kid with only a knife to protect her who's trying to find her sister, a prostitute(the sister) dreaming of life outside, and a convict trying to find his way home. The city is based off the former real life Kowloon Walled City in Hong Kong that was demolished and replaced with a park. Another plus was that main characters were asian, like me, which was something i really appreciated since most of the popular young adult books in my school library featured main characters who were white at the time.
"The Land of Elyon" book series, the "Narnia" book series, the "City of Ember" series, and "The Series of Unfortunate Events" book series made me appreciate family and gave me smart, resourceful young women/young people in general to look up to.
The ending of "series of unfortunate events" book series still infuriates me to this day but it made sense, following the "mysterious" style of the author. Speaking of mystery, "The Name of this Book is a Secret" series by Psudonymous Bosch(a legend) was another one that made me think and gave me good role models.

well i have some books that i currently read, and it changed my mind, one of them is "treatises on friendship and old age" by Marcus Tullius Cicero. Because of that book, now i want a genuine friendship. The other book that i'm currently read as well is "The Prince" by Nicolo Machiavelli, and it really changed my perception on politics, because i usually ignorant towards politics.

and as stated above by others, "no longer human", "the little prince" are good books, but maybe because my lack of understanding and i'm bad in english, i don't feel any changes at all, i'm not a bookworm, but i tried to become one.

sorry for my bad english

Dex-chan lover
Too bad this thread can't be another hunting ground for necros

Hard to choose only one, probably Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming. I study programming in college and this book helped me a lot. I found service that can help with python homework help. Hope with their help I'll finally get a degree next year.

Flowers for Algernon.
I was quite depressed in my early teens because of external circumstances, then I read that book. It made me truly appreciate my own existence and I found something truly frightening.
I wasn't able to immediately turn my life around and reach the top of the mountain. Nonetheless, I think this book played a large part in keeping me alive and climbing.
I still read it once every year as do many of the people I've recommended it to.

The book taught me a lot about knowledge, teaching, interpersonal relationships, and the value of my mind. It's a good Sci-fi story, easy to read.

The ice maiden by Hans Christian Andersen has definitely changed my life. Not in a logical or rational sense, but definitely in an indescribable spiritual way. I don't think I could forget it if I tried. It's just become a part of me.

"Man's Search For A Meaning" by Viktor E Frankl, opened me a new perspective about the meaning of existence.I recommend this book for people that is looking for a meaning in their life,truly a gem.

Dex-chan lover
Custer Died for your Sins by Vine Deloria, Jr. showed me what it means to be a Native Person.

The People's Almanac by David Wallechinsky & Irving Wallace showed me secrets of world history.

The Sword and the Dollar by Michael Parenti showed me the imperialistic nature of the USA.

Backlash~The Undeclared War Against American Women~ by Susan Faludi showed me how ingrained sexism is in the US.

Reverend Insanity. I based all of my current philosophy on that book. Especially the first volume.

Dex-chan lover
I had an important interview scheduled a few months ago. But as I was walking down the street, a book fell out of a window and hit me on the head, giving me a concussion. Needless to say, the interview didn't go well, and now I'm just barely scraped by. Pretty sure the book was Dr. Sebi Cure Herbs For Menopause Women: The Complete Guide On Everything You Need To Know About Dr. Sebi Herbal And Natural Formula For Menopause Women.

Users who are viewing this thread