Arrogant Slave - Ch. 13 - A Knight's Job

Dex-chan lover
Well the kid is just as right about it as the slave's pride is valid, which just means it'd hypocritical of her to believe that what the kid said is wrong.
Which could be a pretty interesting attribute for the slave and material for character development or an annoying contradiction.
This. I didn't see that coming tbh.. clever way to twist the slaves perspective and obsession with duty back on her.

Dex-chan lover
I just saw the slave punch this girl in the latest pixiv chapter. I think I know now why. I'm quite interested for the dialogue since I can't read Japanese

Dex-chan lover
...wait a second. If he's a knight, how is he still a commoner? Knights are usually low nobility.
The translation team probably got confused with the term. He is most likely a Man-at-Arms. Basically, a professional soldier and the core of any medieval army. They were given much better gear and had to march whenever the lord asked.

Double-page supporter
Knights - as in, professional soldiers coming from the landed lower nobility, who owned their own armour (often inherited) and horse, and usually came at their lord's call at the head of their own lance, - were expensive.
Retainers, squires, housecarls and samesuch - very much less so (although of course they were still prized servants, and lords avoided wasting their lives, if only because such a reputation could make recruitment of replacements unnecessarily complex).
Yeah, as I said before its a waste to get your soldiers killed, specially if they are experienced. Obviously if you have to make a choice you send your least experienced/less valuable troops first so the veterans and elite troops can put their expertise to work. Obviously this girl is an idiot.

Contributor
Page 1 was fairly wholesome for a mildly dark comedy about a slave and her master. You just know something was gonna go wrong as the price for that.

Page 3:
record scratch

It's the knight's job to die for their lord. So we can have fun making each other exhausted again just like every day he was away.

Dex-chan lover
I think there are only couple of people left in the entire site who didn't say some variation of "classic Hamita" in the comments. We get it. Also being predictable as fuck is not a good trait for a writer imo.
Being predictable is not a good trait, but it's common for artists, writers or actors to have an area of particular expertise that basically limits them to one genre, if not one plot or role.

Yeah, as I said before its a waste to get your soldiers killed, specially if they are experienced. Obviously if you have to make a choice you send your least experienced/less valuable troops first so the veterans and elite troops can put their expertise to work. Obviously this girl is an idiot.
Militia. You have militia for that: peasants are cheap, same as the pointy sticks you at best hand them. Let the enemy get bogged in them, and then commit your retinue where it matters.
(Well, cheap before the costs of logistics, but that's why you try to fight in the enemy territory and have your foragers rob it, not your own).

Dex-chan lover
Being predictable is not a good trait, but it's common for artists, writers or actors to have an area of particular expertise that basically limits them to one genre, if not one plot or role.
For actors, i can understand since i can't imagine someone like Jason Statham to appear in romantic comedies and the role is somewhat different everytime. But for writers, it becomes a meme over time just like how M. Night Shyamalan eventually became one since he does the same shtick every time. It's counter productive.

Dex-chan lover

Militia. You have militia for that: peasants are cheap, same as the pointy sticks you at best hand them. Let the enemy get bogged in them, and then commit your retinue where it matters.
(Well, cheap before the costs of logistics, but that's why you try to fight in the enemy territory and have your foragers rob it, not your own).
And cheap before your means of production is slaughtered.

Dex-chan lover
And cheap before your means of production is slaughtered.
Pre-modern civilizations normally have an excess of men. Birth rates are high, while agricultural production's too low to feed all the mouths. Extra population was the driving force behind the Crusades and the Era of Discovery (when excess people were shipped across the ocean all over the planet). Even the territories depopulated and ruined by war were quickly resettled and restored in but a couple generations due to the geometric population number growth before it settled at capacity again.

Users who are viewing this thread