Artist Shorts Anthologies

Dex-chan lover
Currently MangaDex is flooded with entries for Pixiv & Twitter shorts which are often 1-5 pages long. I don't feel it's appropriate to be giving these shorts a dedicated page and they end up cluttering up artist pages and search results. Often they don't even have an official title, and so they lack sufficient data to form a proper entry (I believe currently most of these currently just have fan-chosen titles which are plot outlines described in a sentence).

Instead I propose that we have Artist Shorts Anthologies, a single entry where each chapter would be one of the aforementioned shorts.
Entry title could simply be '[Artist Name] Web Shorts' or something similar.

Benefits
  • People interested in read them can easily just follow the anthology page and thus get updates for any new short released by that artist
  • Easier searching as there's less entries cluttering up the database
  • When looking at an artists page it'll be obvious which are actual series and which are shorts
  • Helps differentiate "proper" one-shots that clearly took the artist a lot of time and effort, from these shorts.

Issues
  • Making this happen would take a large amount of time, relying on users reporting all existing short entries so they can be migrated to the anthology page
  • Unsure of how chapter numbering would work. I suppose if possible having them sorted by date instead would be sensible, though I don't suppose that's currently possible.
  • Determining an appropriate page count cut off, so the threshold between something being considered a short and something deserving it's own one-shot page entry.

Other Relevant Suggestion Threads
Separation of artist's work based on serialization/anthology/twitter comics
Tag for single page chapters?

Last edited:
Upvote 2
Contributor
I don't feel it's appropriate to be giving these shorts a dedicated page and they end up cluttering up artist pages and search results.
i don't feel that it's appropriate to give pages to all the trash isekai series that seem to flood out into the world every year but here we are.

Easier searching as there's less entries cluttering up the database
The "shorts" still need to be searchable so if a user is looking for it they can find it

When looking at an artists page it'll be obvious which are actual series and which are shorts
There is a oneshot tag for just this kind of thing.

The problem with this kind of thing is that its all subjective and arbitrary, which makes it hard to implement and impossible to make into something even something a significant fraction of users would be happy with.

Dex-chan lover
There is a oneshot tag for just this kind of thing.
I really don't think we should be grouping things like Tatsuki Fugimoto's one-shot's, with these shorts. That doesn't help the reader find what their looking for and is downright disrespectful to the mangaka.

The problem with this kind of thing is that its all subjective and arbitrary, which makes it hard to implement and impossible to make into something even something a significant fraction of users would be happy with.
True, but I still feel something needs to be done to properly resolve this situation.
An alternative solution could be a 'chapter length'/'page count' tags (low, medium, high). Which also helps differentiate things like 'Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu' (10~ pages per chapter) from 'Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru' (30~ pages). Though again would require arbitrary distinctions chosen by staff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread