Asahina-san no Bentou Tabetai - Ch. 21

Group Leader
Small note here because I forgor:
When Yui says "a cat paw", she's referring to the way to hold a knife to cut on a board. In Japanese they refer to the left hand that holds the vegetable as "neko no te".

Dex-chan lover
I don’t want to sound like a downer if this ends next chapter but I’m afraid that once he tells her what he does for a job, she’ll be disappointed/disgusted to the point that she cuts all ties with him. Again, not what I want because they both deserve a happy ending. Thanks for the translation.

Dex-chan lover
This is supposed to be emotional, but I don't think we know Yui enough. At least I don't :questionblob:
We don't know ANY of them well enough. Except for, I guess, Asahina, even though she's arguably the most out-of-focus character.

I've mentioned this before. The pacing and writing is so...ill-conceived. It feels shallow. For example, Sou. How do? How he live? He don't prostitute. I might have forgotten if he has some kind of other job, but I don't think so? So there's just no explanation for a lot of characters.

Yui is a great example that you bring up. Why she do? Why she do be prostitute? I'm writing like this on purpose because I'm putting in as much effort as the author. There's no deep thought.

Dex-chan lover
trying to humanize the Pimp is just... XD....
Humanizing isn't the issue-- she absolutely should be characterized as the human she is. My "issue" is that there's not any reckoning with the fact that she prostitutes kids. I can accept the idea that they're operating in a particular moral context they're already familiar with (so it's too late for the characters themselves, who've chosen this, to be the catalyst for that reckoning), and that going "but you prostitute kids" is beating the dead horse, but... she prostitutes kids.

It's also an aspect that feels more understated than it probably should be. Seiya's emotionally stunted no thanks to his profession, but Yui's practically completely normal despite having the same profession.

Dex-chan lover
"Those are some good kids... that I whore out to anyone anywhere for enough money."

Wonder if last chapter reveals they work at some rent a friend agency and aren't whoring themselves out at all?

Dex-chan lover
I really want to fully understand just what these kids were doing. If it's full fledged prostitution or "just" rental dating. (leaning towards full fledged prostitution)

I also want to announce that I have changed stances a little bit. The junior girl deserves to and should "win". Hope she ends up with him.

They're pretty much the only ones who can understand each other. She's the only one who knows him that much apart from his guy friend.

She is great and still fits every other criteria than the fucking "bento"/lunchbox... It's not like Seiya has any other reason besides the fucking bento.

I REPEAT: THE FUCKING BENTO.

Dex-chan lover
I still dont get yui and seiya's relationship at all. Some chapters it seems she likes him, but others they just seem to be "comrades in arms", if you get my meaning, its like her feelings change by the minute.

Users who are viewing this thread