Asahina-san no Bentou Tabetai - Vol. 3 Ch. 22

Dex-chan lover
Huuuuu.... not a great series, but... it was a series... the metaphor at the end did kinda work... I'll give it that...

Dex-chan lover
Oof, shitty ending. Makes the whole thing into a confused mess of incomplete ideas.
To be fair... It was already like that even without the ending. The whole series was a mess of the author throwing random crap at the wall and seeing what stuck. An ending was never going to wrap up everything, regardless of how good or bad the ending was. The problems started way before the ending.

Supporter
jOrMtig.png

Dex-chan lover
Broken backstory with unnaturally emphath characters. Usually these kind story of involve a lot of angst but it isn't portrayed at extremities. On my end, it doesnt feel weighted since characters is written too functional instead of seemingly broken or dysfunctional. :bleh:

Decent read nonetheless.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
To be fair... It was already like that even without the ending. The whole series was a mess of the author throwing random crap at the wall and seeing what stuck. An ending was never going to wrap up everything, regardless of how good or bad the ending was. The problems started way before the ending.
I think it had a shot, but it's like the author didn't even try. Out of themes like:

-Poverty
-Sex Work
-Familial dysfunction
-Powerlessness
-Coping Mechanisms
-Lunchbox

...they chose lunchbox. They focused the finale on the premise and not the story.

Im not saying there was a perfect way to wrap this particular manga in a single chapter, but I do think they could have focused on some of the less superficial elements.

Dex-chan lover
I think it had a shot, but it's like the author didn't even try. Out of themes like:

-Poverty
-Sex Work
-Familial dysfunction
-Powerlessness
-Coping Mechanisms
-Lunchbox

...they chose lunchbox. They focused the finale on the premise and not the story.

Im not saying there was a perfect way to wrap this particular manga in a single chapter, but I do think they could have focused on some of the less superficial elements.
I mean... I just ultimately disagree. The series felt shallow from almost the beginning. One of my comments from when the mother was still alive was something along the lines of why should I care (about the mother's mistreatment of Souta). The author had thrown in some cheap, cliched situations to tug at heartstrings without actually developing characters and making readers actually care about them.

And that was the persistent issue with all of the series. The author was shallow with all of the themes that you mentioned... Except for lunchbox, actually. I'll fully admit that the author made the lunchbox theme developed and relatively thought out. But that can't paper over all the shallowness and cheapness of the rest of it.

Dex-chan lover
i swear lot of manga getting axed lately that or lot of author just can't keep up with the story

Dex-chan lover
Ahhhhhh. He gave her his bento. And she ate it. :glee:

Well, that makes them good as married then. I hope we get an extra someday showing him, her, and their many nieces and nephews.

Banned
Thanks.
I'd hope for a better ending, but this kind of end is acceptable.
anyway, 7.8/10.

Dex-chan lover
That's it? I mean its good not to drag it but I wish there was more. But ok I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread