Asuperu Kanojo - Vol. 1 Ch. 6

Dex-chan lover
@definitionofinsanity
You were talking of moral responsibility and and then indicated it was wrong to hit the child. You are lying.
The lie was in your claiming that you were using my words. You weren't. And your attempt to substitute a claim that you were paraphrasing me or somesuch is an attempt to hide a lie which was always absurd, since you were anyway continuing to claim that behavior could be justified without making a moral claim; in that context, you might as well have clung to the stipulation which you'd made.
Flat out false. And because the first assertion is complete generalized nonsense the rest can be safely discarded as the irrelevant trash it is.
You've taken to flat denial of things follow from definition.
alse, and you do not get to dictate what I thought. Go fuck yourself. Claim discarded.
Again, anyone can review the discussion; you invoked legislation to defend a moral claim. Howl all you want.
I will pay you to stop using "were" like that.
How much will you pay? I'd certainly be willing to write down to you in various ways if you paid enough.
Your statement was talking of onus on child versus adult.
I was talking about the moral onus, and used the adjective “moral”; you responded with an invocation of legislation.
You, obviously (because I can apparently decided these things for you, that's a helpful "debate" tactic to be able to just decide for yourself what someone else was even thinking... don't think that'll fly in court, however), did not realize she was not an adult and thus that did not pertain to your argument.
Nope. You're both returning to earlier confusion of morality with legislation and attempting to replace my claim with an absurd one. As to the first, whether she is morally an adult is not determined by legislation. Second, my claim was not that children have no moral responsibility, but that “the moral opprobrium that attaches to acts by children is different from that which attaches to otherwise identical act by adults”. Whether the female main character has the moral status of an adult nowhere affects my argument.
You're actually unwittingly admitting you were wrong. Um, bravo? Honesty is a good new leaf for you.
No, we're just continuing with your flailing.
You've yet to prove the existence of any and are using batshit insane deduction to base your argument.
No, you just respond with a combination of flat denial and misrepresentation. But, as I indicated in an earlier comment, I don't argue in an attempt to get you to acknowledge your errors; I'm simply arguing for the sake of anyone in the audience who is interested.
This is an argumentum ad logicam fallacy and thus you've just made yourself into an unwitting (...well...) hypocrite.
No; an argumentum ad logicam is a claim that a conclusion must be false because an argument for it is invalid. Noting invalidity (which I've of course repeatedly done) is not itself engagement in such argument.
With me blocking you you won't get your pretentious, smug self-important pseudo intellectual masturbatory ego boost and have nothing to tip your fedora at.
That's not my motivation, and you're about to contradict yourself again:
Oh yeah, fuck the idea of people defending themselves from bullshit.
What you do when you block someone is simply to remove your ability to read and respond to what they say with your account. It makes no sense if you want to defend yourself. And, when one is dealing with an actual troll, he or she implicitly responds with the aforementioned “So what?” to reasonable argument and draws delight from the victim's frustration. (And your combination of simply rejecting some things out-of-hand and caricaturing others without carefully addressing anything constitutes a very poor defense.)
Oh, you admit it's nonsense?
And no one believes that I now think it nonsense.
By the way, I just decided to take your prior statement as what I thought could be seen as a principle in support of child slavery. Sorry if that was, y'know, not. But I've decided it so now you have to adhere to it.
The reason that I gave a careful explanation was to show that it wasn't a matter of “just deciding”.
..As we see RIGHT FUCKING ABOVE THIS you've repeatedly been deciding what I've been saying. Which means that you telling me I'm moralizing when you decide what I say is laughable and pathetic.
Nope. On the one hand, I've explained why it can be seen what you were arguing. (Indeed, at the time, you expected it to be seen, which is why you used a rhetorical question as an argument.) On the other hand, the point about your moralization is simply a matter of understanding that statements about justification (or the lack thereof) are moral statements. You keep trying to have your moral cake and eat it too.
The irony being that those most likely to cite Dunning-Kruger are most likely examples of it themselves.
You're doing the equivalent of squealing “I'm rubber! You're glue!”
By not answering it and changing the subject.
No, I answered your question and placed it in a more general context, within which one could see whether the principle that you advanced made sense.
Objecting to changing the subject and bringing up whataboutisms indicates I had a logical problem with MY argument?
You're misusing the term “whataboutism”. Whataboutism is attempt to defend one thing with a flaw by pointing to a flaw in a rival thing, as if these two things were the only possibilities. Showing that a principle doesn't make sense when tested in a different context is not whataboutism. And your claim that I was “changing the subject” is like Oz demanding “Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!” Like Oz, you're not a very good wizard.
[o:]
Logical structure is always relevant.
[dos:]
Then, please, start utilizing it.
I've been utilizing it from the outset.
Like how earlier you decided my principles for me because my question could be interpreted as one by someone that's batshit?
Again, the audience can read my explanation of why your rhetorical question has a specific reading.
Ah, but I owned myself, since:
"BUT, LIKE DUDE, CHOICES ARE MORALITY BECAUSE DECISIONS ARE LIKE... DECIDING... LIKE... SOMETHING IS WRONG OR RIGHT. SO THAT MEANS LIKE, EVERYTHING IS, LIKE, MORALITY AND STUFF."
Yeah, you got me there.
And the audience can note your repeated refusal to deal with my actual argument. You either just flatly declare it wrong or, here, caricature it. You don't deal with it logically because you cannot.
Yeah... No.
Again, these flat denials are a poor defense. You just make yourself look worse by never responding carefully.
And? Sometimes that's valid.
The point that I made was that “So what?” would always be valid in the absence of morality. You need to address that point if you want to move the audience.
"Facts be morality" is such a moronic concept that I, and any rational person (of which you obviously do not qualify), would reject it.
No one said that all facts were morality; what I noted was that the proposition that one should adhere to facts and to logic is a moral proposition.
Should equates to morality? So in mathematics when I should follow the order of operations, that's an issue of morality?
Huh. Yeah, math is moral implications. Never realized that before. Thanks for making me realize that! Now that I think about it, you SHOULD capitalize the letter of each new sentence! English is also intrinsically linked to morality!
It isn't ever mathematics itself that ever tells you that you should be mathematical.
No, actually, I haven't.
The reader can look at each assertion you've made, and ask where you provided evidence. I did that in the specific case of your first comment, and you didn't respond to where you gave that evidence. The process can be repeated for other comments.
Yes, too bad that doesn't necessarily make it pertinent here, which was the kicker in my statement.
Its pertinence is clear. You looked for a justification for tripping the child in the consequent change in the child's behavior. But he was treated as a victim by all but the female main character, and this treatment (fortunate or not) was to be expected. So the outcome to be expected is quite different from one in which everyone or nearly everyone treated him as deserving to be tripped. In seeking to rationalize your instinctive reaction, you didn't look very far into the process.

Dex-chan lover
Welcome to another exciting episode of Master Fleece Theater with our host @Oeconomist.

@Oeconomist: this case entangles you in a new contradiction, as the actions of the female protagonist were in violation of law.
. . .
@Oeconomist: you invoked legislation to defend a moral claim.
. . .
@Oeconomist: And that mistake carried over into your argument that I were somehow contradicting myself in not adjusting my argument to the fact that the female protagonist were not legally an adult

~ INTERMISSION ~

@Oeconomist: You've taken to flat denial of things follow from definition
. . .
@Oeconomist: Again, these flat denials are a poor defense.
. . .
@Oeconomist: And the audience can note your repeated refusal to deal with my actual argument. You either just flatly declare it wrong or, here, caricature it. You don't deal with it logically because you cannot.
. . .
@Oeconomist: Nope. You've just seen (or perhaps pretended not to see) the logical failures implicit in your argument.
. . .
@Oeconomist: Nope. On the one hand, I've explained why it can be seen what you were arguing.
. . .
@Oeconomist: No, we're just continuing with your flailing.
. . .
@Oeconomist: There was and remains that contradiction.
. . .
@Oeconomist: No, because, while you argued on the presumption that law is an embodiment of morality, I did no such thing.
. . .
@Oeconomist: The misunderstanding here is strictly yours, and it's mostly a matter of your not seeing the logical implications of your own words.
. . .
@Oeconomist: You're still trying to have the cake of morality (right-or-wrong) while eating it too.
. . .
@Oeconomist: And no one believes that I now think it nonsense.
. . .
@Oeconomist: No, I answered your question and placed it in a more general context
. . .
@Oeconomist: No, it's not bad faith to begin from the outset to expose the flaw in your argument.
. . .
@Oeconomist: That's not my motivation, and you're about to contradict yourself again
. . .
@Oeconomist: You're doing the equivalent of squealing “I'm rubber! You're glue!”
. . .
@Oeconomist: It's quite something that you're still not getting it.

Fed-Kun's army
@himeleth

Right, tripping kid could have led to serious injuries. Not only it was an overreaction, the kid also had no idea why his behavior annoyed someone, and he will hardly understand the reason behind that outburst, maybe only after some time spend in reminiscence.
As you said, her past explains her reaction, but not justifies it.

As a kid, I also had hard dealing with things I didn't like, I could do the same thing at 10. I grew up relatively socially apt person though, probably because I was exposed to many examples of easy level social inaptness due to huge time spend in local anime community :D which made me realize what reactions are not fitting and should be avoided. I imagine some commentators being on same level as my otaku buddies back then :D

Dex-chan lover
Sometimes you should hit someone else's kid. This is one of those times.

Dex-chan lover
@ciurrb

The underlying problem goes beyond social ineptitude.

Typical children have a moral code of a rough sort, in which they hit other children in response to a wide range of transgressions. Implicit in that code is that it's acceptable to do this, and the code doesn't contain anything like proviso that part of what makes it acceptable is that the hitter is him- or herself a child. (Whether the whole principle is correct with this proviso is another issue.) Some of these children then grow up continuing to think that it's morally acceptable for them, as adults, to hit children.

The people cheering the hitting of the child do not have the moral codes of adults; they are literally childish.

One of the reasons that people don't develop such codes is reflected in the behavior of the many unnamed characters in this episode. In dealing with the issue of a child who is acting-out, most people don't sanction the responsible adult, but instead choose not to involve themselves. So they allow other parents and school administrators not to act against bullies, and they turn their backs when the child is transgressing against another adult. This behavior then provides no guidance for a person developing into what should be adulthood. Their perception is that, if there is to be any morality, then they must strike-out against the immediate transgressor, a child.

ATTN: @himeleth

Dex-chan lover
This was the greatest back and forth of all time.

All this aside,
Hitting kid no good, bad morally, bad legally, bad humanly

Manga tries to potray why FMC did it, doesn't endorse or promote it in any way

@Oeconomist, appreciate what you did here
I kinda had a similar talk with my friend on a similar topic, glad to see someone out there also wants to avoid violence

Yeesh...yeah, I think both sides are wrong on this one. The mom should have made more of an effort to discipline her kid and told him not to run around hitting people. But Megumi handled it wrong by tripping the kid and hitting the mom. That was definitely the wrong move on her part.

Dex-chan lover
Neurotypical way of dealing with things is so aggravating. The couple had no reasons to apologize, and the guy had no reasons to lie. The kid totally deserved what he got, and fights are a normal way of settling problems. If you don't beat up bad people, they will continue being bad.
And the kid's mom even dared to make a scene out of that.

Dex-chan lover
@flannan

You're aggravated by neurotypical responses for about the same reason as many people who cannot do mathematics are aggravated by science: An understanding is over your head.

People who behave badly must be sanctioned or they will repeat the behavior, but there are many sorts of sanction, not just violence. Sanctioning children for bad behavior is important, but violence is not the appropriate in the case of children.

The kid and the mother deserved it. It's not rocket science, the kid will understand that bumping into people for no reason can get your shit kicked in. This is where all morality and etiquette has evolved from - if you don't play nice, shit will get real sooner or later.

"Now Imagine if the kid Bump to an Old Woman, and her head hits the faucet and she dies?" that's my argument right there

Whenever I read some of these comments I start laughing there's usually that one person who says 'wtf'

Users who are viewing this thread