Ayaka-chan wa Hiroko-senpai ni Koishiteru - Vol. 3 Ch. 19

Supporter
How this chapter just btfo'd this shell of a movement that still for some reason tries to hog exactly the middle of the year, for a whole month. Stop talking about your sexuality all the time, we want to be normal. But if you somehow decide for ALL OF US that you need a whole fucking month to be "proud", this aint making us normal. Just leave us be. Nobody cares if you support LGBT or see yourself part of it for whatever reason. Beautiful chapter. Thanks for the sweet yuri.

Edit: Before the twittercrowd comes to comment: You doin more harm than good at this point. The world is already sick of this shit and i for my part dont want to get beaten up just because people dont want to see rainbows anymore. But then again, i act normal in public, so theres that.
Ignoring the drivel that is the rest of your comment, your reading of the themes of the manga doesn't seem right. Hiroko's struggle is trying to fit in with the 'normal' of society and how unhappy that's made her. The whole point of this arc is that being authentic to yourself is worth it even if wider society views it as deviant or offers insincere support. Ayaka's not gonna stop being who she is cuz the higher ups look down on her or cuz the people in her office were disingenuous.

One thing that I love so much about this manga is the way it shows the importance of community in these women's lives: Ayaka and Risa, the women at the gay bar, and now Hiroko with Kumi and Yuuya. Sal does a great job of showing the struggle of being yourself in a heteronormative society while still emphasizing the struggle is worth it to live your life to its fullest. Love this chapter.

Last edited:
Banned
Ignoring the drivel that is the rest of your comment, your reading of the themes of the manga doesn't seem right. Hiroko's struggle is trying to fit in with the 'normal' of society and how unhappy that's made her. The whole point of this arc is that being authentic to yourself is worth it even if wider society views it as deviant or offers insincere support. Ayaka's not gonna stop being who she is cuz the higher ups look down on her or cuz the people in her office were disingenuous.

One thing that I love so much about this manga is the way it shows the importance of community in these women's lives: Ayaka and Risa, the women at the gay bar, and now Hiroko with Kumi and Yuuya. Sal does a great job of showing the struggle of being yourself in a heteronormative society while still emphasizing the struggle is worth it to live your life to its fullest. Love this chapter.
i stand by what i said, even if you don't agree with it.

Dex-chan lover
I really like this chapter

also, Ayaka's senpai is very cute. I wonder if he will end up with anyone?

Dex-chan lover
A very nice chapter and I love the discussions in the Comments when realistic social nuances come up.

I don’t have much to add, but I like Hiroko’s worries being kinda undercut by the that not everyone is a wrinkly dumb boomer. And that she does have people she can trust and confide on (and that people around her age aren’t all the mob from back then)

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL. This chapter really hits. I’m happy manga like this exists.

If anyone has any more recommendations for manga like this that actually directly addresses LGBTQ+ concerns in settings like this, I’d be interested in checking them out.

Dex-chan lover
In this chapter there's three kinds of allies.

There are the coworkers and acquaintances who want to be a good person. Unfortunately, they end up doing things that feel good but do little, like public declarations of support. They avoid opposition, confrontation, and introspection because these feel bad, even though they are necessary for actual change.

There are older folks who try to look like allies without changing any of their fundamental beliefs.

Finally, there are her straight friends that are affected by the same heteronormative expectations as queer people. They understand the harm. These friends fit the actual definition of allies because they are fighting against the same enemy

Dex-chan lover
In this chapter there's three kinds of allies.

There are the coworkers and acquaintances who want to be a good person. Unfortunately, they end up doing things that feel good but do little, like public declarations of support. They avoid opposition, confrontation, and introspection because these feel bad, even though they are necessary for actual change.

There are older folks who try to look like allies without changing any of their fundamental beliefs.

Finally, there are her straight friends that are affected by the same heteronormative expectations as queer people. They understand the harm. These friends fit the actual definition of allies because they are fighting against the same enemy
The gay agenda isn't "be a good person". It's "fix the shit that's broken so our lives suck less"

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL. This chapter really hits. I’m happy manga like this exists.

If anyone has any more recommendations for manga like this that actually directly addresses LGBTQ+ concerns in settings like this, I’d be interested in checking them out.
Sal Jiangs "Black & White" but that's not fully TL'd right now. A lot of Sal's stuff will touch on one issue or another, just in a subtle way.

I'll take this chance to mention that "SAL (Stories About Love)" is a collection of oneshots by them that's on Mangadex. They've always got interesting, unique character dynamics, and I really enjoy that about them. Out of that collection "I Want to Stare," "Umbrellas" and "Her Trap" are my favorites, though they're not about broader LGBTQ+ concerns (at least not directly).

Edit: I'd also feel stupid not to mention "How Do We Relationship," as another fantastic series that is literally all about what it's title describes and uses real relationship ups and downs to show it.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
chapter was mid, comments are as wild as they are in internalizing the chapter to a weird world view and I still love reading these wacky interpretations based on self inflicted

none of these characters are acting or thinking the way the comment section views it and it's wild to watch the contrast :kek:

Dex-chan lover
This chapter made me impatient. Like the author gave us so much food for thought but not enough to draw the final picture in details. It's frustrating (the good kind)
yea yea! I'm impressed how this goofy miscommunication romcom has ended up addressing deeper social issues with nuance and grace, while still keeping a comedic tone. The author packed a lot of content in this amount of chapters. I'm going to keep thinking about this series and reread it a few times.

Contributor
Of course there's a dumbfuck complaining about pride and saying gay people should just pretend they're not in public in the comments of a series that actually deals with workplace discrimination.
W rizz not @replying to them so they don’t get that satisfaction :smugnako:

Supporter
19 chapters in and still no progress has been made, this series has a set end date, why is the artist going rush the romance part of the story, basically the main point of a yuri story?
This entire story is just pain.
This isn't a typical yuri story really. The romance is almost a subplot in this instance. This story feels more about the process of coming out as a lesbian while holding down a job in the conservative-mindset Japanese business society, and the changing of the guard between generations. Hiroko x Ayaka is the vehicle driving this story, and they'll likely get their screen time as a couple somewhere near the end, but what we're really reading is Hiroko's story of growth.

Aggregator gang
This isn't a typical yuri story really. The romance is almost a subplot in this instance. This story feels more about the process of coming out as a lesbian while holding down a job in the conservative-mindset Japanese business society, and the changing of the guard between generations. Hiroko x Ayaka is the vehicle driving this story, and they'll likely get their screen time as a couple somewhere near the end, but what we're really reading is Hiroko's story of growth.
Issue, I really honestly hate Hiroko at this point, she straight up does not deserve Ayaka at this point in my eyes, I do hope Ayaka has a happy ending though, but it should not be with Hiroko.

Supporter
Eh, that's fair. She's overcoming trauma which makes it hard for her to reciprocate. The author has done her no real favors though by writing her like an idiot.

Dex-chan lover
About god damned time! Hiroko ya daft lass!
The last chapter should be 100pages with cute, loveydovey, diabetic-inducing relationship love!!

Also.. I demand justice for our home girl Risa!

Dex-chan lover
How this chapter just btfo'd this shell of a movement that still for some reason tries to hog exactly the middle of the year, for a whole month. Stop talking about your sexuality all the time, we want to be normal. But if you somehow decide for ALL OF US that you need a whole fucking month to be "proud", this aint making us normal. Just leave us be. Nobody cares if you support LGBT or see yourself part of it for whatever reason. Beautiful chapter. Thanks for the sweet yuri.

Edit: Before the twittercrowd comes to comment: You doin more harm than good at this point. The world is already sick of this shit and i for my part dont want to get beaten up just because people dont want to see rainbows anymore. But then again, i act normal in public, so theres that.
Never seen someone misinterpret a chapter so hard lmfao

Users who are viewing this thread