bad and good scanlation examples please

Group Leader
Joined
Jun 26, 2025
Messages
21
Trying to figure out what the community considers a “bad scanlation”, “good scanlation” and “decent/average scanlation” to try improve, so please direct me to/show me any samples of what you consider to be in any of these categories, thanks

edit: Also try explain why it’s in a category, if possible
 
Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 9, 2023
Messages
4,945
I'm not gonna call out names because I think that's rude and ripe for abuse, but...

Check out part 3 of Ascendance of a Bookworm for a good contrast in scanlation styles across the years. Same with part 4. Also check them out because they're good :thumbsup:


TLs that add asinine irrelevant commentary in the margins (or worse, in the text itself) really need a hand slapping. Cultural/linguistics notes and their ilk are fine, but anything else is just ego stroking IMO
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jun 16, 2020
Messages
2,906
Same,
I'm not going to put any examples so as not to call anyone out.
Also, I'm not so conceited as to consider myself an expert on what is good or bad, so I'll just share the kind of scanlations/translations I like or dislike.
  • I've said it before: I think uploading page resolutions ranging from x1600, x1920, to x2880 is good.
    I don't own an ultra-large monitor to fully utilize any higher resolution than that.
  • Try experimenting with different models if you want to use upscaling.
    Some models produce way fewer artifacts than others.
  • If you can't do proper cleaning, I prefer seeing the simple technique of overlaying the Japanese text with the translation, and adding a heavy white stroke or white shadow effect, as oppose to trying to remove the text and just smearing or ruining the background art. Some groups simply white-block the Japanese text.
  • Only put TL notes or comments on the page when it's absolutely necessary.
    I loathe scanlations that put excessive commentary on the pages themselves. If a scene is so shocking that you can't help but express your gut feeling with a comment, that's fine.
    But on every page? Every panel? Don't.
  • I prefer translations that keep the honorifics and accurate naming conventions for Japanese settings (whether modern, ancient, or urban fantasy) because they retain the nuance of social hierarchy and the closeness or dynamic of the characters. Removing honorifics early on might bite you later if the story decides to address that dynamic later.
  • I'm okay with fully localized translations for other settings. In fact, I slightly prefer when there is no "-san" or "-kun" things, whether it's the real world, fantasy, or isekai, as long as it's not Japan.
  • I like when the translations make sure that the word choices are sensible and relevant to the setting.
    Or at least tried to do so.
  • If you do a re-translation of another translation, make sure to check the original text as well.
  • I prefer scanlations that remain neutral. What I mean by that is I hate when I can really feel that the translators are trying to inject their own personas into the characters, or trying to make the conversation way more edgy or comedic than necessary, especially when that quirk or edginess was not present in the original.
    I see a lot of people like it, tho. so... ¯\(ツ)/¯
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top