Beast with Flowers - Ch. 44

I think it'd be a good point to mention that a single person can be of two minds regarding the guard. Yes, the crown prince is pissed about what happened to Hwayeon, but... Let's take her out of the picture for a minute and remember he's also a warlord.

The author made sure to mention several times that the guard is a palace guard. This palace guard, in a 100% feudal society, took a bribe from a minister's family. The bribe was for him to, by lying, interfere with the selection process of the crown princess. Specifically it was to cover up an attempt to get rid of a candidate, by death or disqualification. That candidate would potentially tie a noble family to the Imperial family in a political marriage and that family also happened to be the Chancellor of the empire.

It took several stabs for the guard to finally give his testimony which led to:
Guard: Let me live. I am deserving of death *doesn't know who he's talking to*
Crown Prince: Is that so?
Guard: !!! *now knows who he's talking to*
Crown Prince: So you know you did something deserving of death.

The guard knew the gravity of what he did from the beginning. That's why it took what it did to get the truth out of him. It really didn't matter who the candidate was and they both understood that.

Of course getting back for Hwayeon can be part of it but it isn't the only reason, and maybe not the main reason, for what the crown prince did.

Users who are viewing this thread