BEASTARS - Vol. 14 Ch. 118 - A Machine Gun Without Ammo

Dex-chan lover
I respect Legosi's convictions but that... That was too much.

Contributor
This makes me look even more forward to the anime later this year.

Fed-Kun's army
@Renard
Oh, so it WASNT permanent plucking. I thought he was going to have mangled mouth for life. That make so much more sense

God damn legosi, its still weird as shit, I hope you know that

Dex-chan lover
I mean, I'm not being confrontational or saying people can't have this opinion, but can we get a little further explanation as to WHY people find Legosi doing this a negative. And I don't mean from a character standpoint, I mean from a standpoint where some of you are saying this is dumb or made you not want to read or lowered your opinion. Like why did this specifically do that for you?

I feel like a lot gets lost in nuance and far too many people just read shit on the surface or don't really understand what goes on when there are layers to characters. Like yes, this is pretty batshit. And edgy. And doesn't make him a bad-ass character who is always right and never really stumbles or makes mistakes. But it's completely in line with who Legosi is. And as a character moment, it's pretty huge. We've seen how selfless he is but also how he can get really stuck on ideas and not let go of them. We've seen his love of herbivores but also his self-loathing. In a moment like this, in front of one of the greatest herbivores, for a person who hates everything they are and what they are capable of doing to their friends, how is it out of character for Legosi to go farther than he should in a moment of self sacrifice? Of course he would rip his teeth out to show his convictions, he's literally STARVING himself to prove his love of herbivores and no matter how noble eating Louis leg is it still eats him up inside. So we've gotten an incredibly important moment where everything we love about Legosi starts to get taken too far...his selflessness and love of herbivores has turned back around into self-harm and misguided martyrdom. His greatest traits have gone too extreme to a place that we are weirded out by, that we think is absurd and strange.

And the biggest indicator of this is Yafya, a man who we just saw KILLS CARNIVORES AND USES THEM FOR FERTILIZER, who everyone was saying was insane, AGREEING AND FINDING HE LIKES LEGOSI for doing this thing. If that's not the biggest tip off, I don't know what else the author can do to show that this time Legosi did something really fucked up. If this dude is finding Legosi noble or likable for ripping his fucking teeth out then we know that this is REALLY messed up.

Maybe I'm wrong and the author won't address this, will actually play it straight as Legosi being a bad-ass and sticking to his guns...but I think the author has been so amazing thus far that we can give them the benefit of the doubt and see how this all turns out. I feel they've hinted at this often enough that it's not out of nowhere. It's the logical conclusion to a person with a self-harming hero complex when it stops being awesome and fun to watch.

There's not really anything wrong with wanting a manga with characters who you always love and just go around beating the bad guys in awesome ways, but this manga has never really done that too much so I'm not sure why exploration of the flaws of a character now is what is taking people out of the story.

Aggregator gang
Well he only plucked his 4 biggest fangs that was used for carnivores to tear meats. I think he just wants to prove that he wont be eating meats ever again anyway so he doesn't need it. Well it's unhygienic tho at least you should wash your hand first Legosi. And you just lose half of your fire power for biting your enemy, i think it's such a shame

VIP
yafya said it's wrong to be born as carnivore, legosi stripped his fang that a symbol of carnivore, so he is not carnivore anymore and thus not wrong and has right to punch yafya because he is right.

@beperov im gonna barge in here. I'm currently reading 100 years of solitude and it's quite hard to read. What are your thoughts about it?

Dex-chan lover
@Ixtab Spanish is my first language so it's easier for me to read it, keeping track of the whole town can be a bit of a bitch though. Anyway it's a pretty interesting read that I think encapsulates latinoamerican magical realism pretty damn fine.

@beperov Thanks for the insight! it really is an interesting read. Seeing the town age, along the people in it throughout the story gives you a certain feeling. Any books you can recommend? I just started getting into reading so any genre is fine.

Dex-chan lover
@Ixtab I'm not into reading too much but if you want to keep checking latinoamerican books you should check out Roberto Bolaños, Julio Cortazar, Jorge Luis Borges, etc. Last book I finished was Slaughterhouse V and it was really good. Dostoyevsky is also an author I really like, Crime and Punishment is my favorite by him, and I'm currently reading Brothers Karamazov

Group Leader
At first I was about to recommend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-sLIX95ka4
but after reading it I felt this fit better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00PdHIPjaWQ

Group Leader
@beperov Roberto Bolaño is great
@kaiaiji Believe me, there is much worse around
@lililily Your fire power objections makes sense but he could easily solve it wearing an external denture
with metal canines which could be even be more lethal than true teeth during fights

Users who are viewing this thread