BEASTARS - Vol. 19 Ch. 163 - Don't Look Down, Your Hair Will Get Into Your Eyes

Aggregator gang
Ok, that bit of Agata actually wondering "is this guy just making his backstory up to psych us out?" actually saved last chapter for me. While Melon's flashback there seemed a bit (actually a fuckton) too ridiculous, it actually makes perfect sense as something the Melon we know would have written for himself, no matter what the real events were, and the sort of thing he'd trot out to try to get at his opponents. (As a side note, given that his audience is a bunch of male lions, and we know Agata has memories of his mother running the house, a matricidical story like the one Melon told seems very calculated to put extra pressure on his current audience.)

Jury's still out, but I've got more hope for this now.

@Swifft

In a way, I think it's his sheer ridiculousness and the stupid audacity to do stuff that nobody would even think was a possibility that's making Melon at all believable right now. He's got very little going for him beyond his adamantium balls - most of the people he's intimidating or being a massive problem for could take him apart easily if they didn't have some psychological millstone around their neck preventing them from actually pulling the trigger. (Quite literally, in Agata's case.) It's like he's walking through everyone's collective blind spot.

And with that, we're now firmly back on Beastars' established turf of fights always coming down to a collision of ideals/psychology instead of the actual physical violence. I still really don't like this arc, though, and the way it's pulling that feels very... forced? compared to some of the previous arcs. Particularly the stands.

The writer constantly faked characters death to make fake tension in the story. It’s not cool, it’s bad writing. Just kill somebody off for real

Dex-chan lover
The writer constantly faked characters death to make fake tension in the story. It’s not cool, it’s bad writing. Just kill somebody off for real
Ibuki is dead. They've visited his grave. Clearly while a fake out is more likely, real death is already possible for a character of at least similar standing in cast importance as this one. Not sure the tension is all that fake when it's something that could have actually gone either way here.

Fed-Kun's army
Dolph is still alive?! nice... i was bad at that time when i thought he was dead

also, Agata looks oddly handsome don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread