BEASTARS - Vol. 20 Ch. 174 - Blood Splashing Heroic Tale

@Wulfy
That's exactly it. it's self contained within Discord, which is totally fine. Never had a problem with people releasing content within their own circles. A lot of people love to do that. But when you make an actual group and start posting on platforms it becomes an entirely different matter. Your content is viewed in a much broader fashion. Which can have lasting effects. Your intentions to not spite Hot Chocolate scans are betrayed by your actions.

Many people release content because they love individual series. No one don't has a problem with that. What people do have a problem with is others who think releasing content that has already been released isn't a big deal and isn't hurting the group that released it before. Since you've never been in the position you wouldn't know how it feels, would you? Battling another scan group for dominance over a scan you've poured your soul into over many years. That's exactly what the group you're part of was doing a number of weeks ago. Hot Chocolate was behind on their scans, so you started releasing content at set times. Before they didn't have to worry about deadlines and just did it when they could. Then Omega ( the typesetter)'s labtop broke, causing them to stop releasing. So your group, (probably with GDAFF's permission) started releasing content. Omega got a new computer and started typesetting again and they caught up. However you were still releasing. I am positive if they gave you permission to release content, they didn't intend for you to continue releasing after they were back ion the saddle.

I hear no remorse in your words for Hot Chocolate Scans now that they have to keep up a higher pace so they can be sure to stay ahead of the Beastars reddit/discord group. Having a deadline thrust on you, when there wasn't one before creates stress. They may say they are fine with it, but as a fellow scanlator, I know that cracks form under the surface. The group you are part of is having an adverse effect on Hot Chocolate scans, the scan group that brought Beastars to our eyes over two years ago. Who has faithfully been releasing that content to us, the readers.

You say that for many of you, it's a first into the dip into the scanlation world. Let me give you a tip. Don't release content that is currently being released by another group. Keep it contained in your circles. Groups have every right to release content. That doesn't mean they should.

Aggregator gang
I get that it's deflating to think there was an update when it's just another group releasing the same chapter but goddamn, let people have their fun.

@tambur Yeah see thats your problem, you think HCS owns this series but they dont. I have nothing but thanks for HCS for showing me this series. However at the same time if the scan is of quality then it deserves the same right as any other groups. No group claims a golden ticket to a series, thats selfish to think of. Not to mention there are people who like to compare translations. Mangadex makes it extremely easy to sort through different groups, as if maybe this was the whole point of the site.

Not sure why you keep on thinking this is some type of race to see who can get it up first. No time was ever pressured onto anyone.

@Wulfy
The scanlation community is one of balance and consideration. If you see a group working on a project, out of consideration and respect for them, you choose to focus your efforts on something either not being done currently, or something that has been dropped. That is the proper way to act. We have differing fundamental views on the subject and continuing to voice them will get us nowhere. I wish you good health in these trying times, as one fan of Beastars to another.

@Tambur
And as someone who is a 10 year veteran to the scanlation world (@Super_Shanko for my business) this is more common than you think.

Just like this being done in numerous languages, even numerous English, it just is what it is and that’s the end of it. If someone prefers the linguistic choices of HCS or R/B discord, that’s their prerogative to do so and that’s basically the end of it, like Manga Stream vs Manga Panda.

Ultimately the only one who has and real claim on this is the publisher who owns the legal rights to publish this in English is Viz. Everyone else is basically pirating.

@SuperShanko
First, I want to say I'm a huge fan of your work Shanko, I've followed the work you've done for years and referenced your typesetting many times as I've improved myself. I'm very aware of how common this is in the scanlation world for groups to pick up works they love and want to do. That's probably why I voiced myself here. Because I've seen this time and again and I've just sat on the sidelines while it happened. As you say, it is what it is, pure and simple. Groups can pick and choose which manga they want to scanlate at will and are under no obligation to oblige groups currently working on series. It's an open market. But even among pirates, there's a code and things we frown upon. Sniping is one, as well as profiting off the work of others.

Beastars/Reddit are very generous and open with their plans and release dates and have talked with GDAFF about them. They are giving HCS a lot of leeway with releasing the chapters before they release their version, trying to ensure that HCS remains the main releaser of Beastars out of respect for the work they have done. I recognize that they are making an effort to accommodate HCS which I am happy to see. No one person owns the rights to distribute Manga besides publishers, that is an iron fact. I guess I'm just old-fashioned, in that I feel like the work a group puts in is what they get out of it. It doesn't sit right with me, seeing other groups ride on the coattails of the group before it, having done none of the work while reaping the benefits.

It's as you say though, it just is what it is and that’s the end of it.

I don't understand the drama. I do kinda wish the translations differed more, but if I don't want to read a chapter twice, it costs me about 2 seconds even if I don't notice the chapter number.
I also enjoy the funny edits at the end! Though I don't really understand Melon's.
Definitely think the people getting angry at this have an inflated sense of self-importance though.

Group Leader
@dzamie
Sometimes it has a bigger difference. Sometimes translation is simple and can't help but be the same

Ch 155 is an example of where some differences.

Group Leader
@dzamie
Though I don't really understand Melon's.
Silvervine = same effect as Catnip [different but same for us noobs]
Makes feline feel high.

Shishigumi used Silvervine a few times to get high.

Since Melon is part feline, it implies instead of blood it Melong getting high

- Note, i did not make any edits

@Tambur

Oh.. oh my, thank you for those kind words. It’s super rare to see someone outside my usual stomping grounds recognize my name, let alone offer praise. (★≧▽^))★☆

Users who are viewing this thread