BEASTARS - Vol. 21 Ch. 183 - Our Own Planetarium

Fed-Kun's army
@Askadamishot
Your first mistake was thinking the Japanese could ever tackle racism with anything other than skindeep understanding while they live in an ethnostate. I also don't know what you want seen explored with the riots. Looting? Arson? General violence? It's not a peaceful protest, so options are limited other than a street brawl. Might be fun to see some herbivores kill some carnivores who are just trying to defend their local business.

@Riger
Yeah, it's called "will to morality". The carnivores get the choose to be terrible and eat people or choose not to and do good, and most consistently choose not to. The herbivores don't even get a choice, they're not strong enough, so how do you praise them for it? There's more issues involved, but this one specific idea explains it.

Fed-Kun's army
@hoboshoe
At any level deeper then surface level? Not really. It's a very ham fisted basic take on the issue.

Fed-Kun's army
@Mukuro234
Restricting myself to manga? The best example, if I'm really pushing it, is Golden Kamuy, even that struggles to convey the concept of cultural perception. The Ainu are the best example of a minority the Japanese have to interact with constantly. If I can choose any media however, probably Star Trek TNG, specifically S4E2 "Darmok".

@Chrona
One Piece portrayed it a bit deeper than expected for a fantasy battle shounen, and it's more than enough for the style. But yes, not a very good example.
I would say it's not only Japan being an ethnostate - takes on racism will kinda differ in parts of the world with different past experiences and present situations. Some things are common, some aren't, and the latter ones may not work outside their own culture.
And expecting all the world to dedicatedly comment on a very Western-centered political situation could be called wallowing in priviledge.

Fed-Kun's army
@RayS
And expecting all the world to dedicatedly comment on a very Western-centered political situation could be called wallowing in priviledge.
That's exactly the point I was trying to make, expecting anything more from the author like @Riger does is just the liberal rendition of "white man's burden." Expecting everyone to give a shit about your problems.

Double-page supporter
Paru did it! She managed to get out of the shonen battle manga plotline and got me wanting moar! Bless, you beastars discord and gimme that next chapter already!

Meanwhile, the sea creatures are all like:
odm4gs4xfu841.jpg

I don't know if it's just me, but I LOVE the artwork in this particular chapter. The expressions, Yafya's hair, everything
I'm also starting to love Yafya??? yeah <3

Contributor
Omfg this is why I CAN'T STOP STANNING YAFYA 😍😍😍

Dex-chan lover
I’m over this series, tbh.

It peaked at the leg thing and now they’re on Namek.

We know Yuusuke is gonna win the tournament.

Double-page supporter
@Chrona As an Asian that born and grew up in an SE Asian country, I agree with you. I grew up rarely see anyone from other races except a few tourists. All the knowledge about racism, I picked up from novels, history books and movies. It isn't something I can understand deeply even now, when I am living in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread