Beatrice - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
this feels like the beginning of an arc in QT Cannonfodder. Shitty characters, contrived circumstances, and plenty of people who would be pissed off at the presumable ML and FL.

He may have betrayed his people....but you murdered them, so you are just as disgusting

Historically,even innocents are killed off because if they have kids then the purists can argue that those kids have a claim to the throne,so idk what the big deal is?

Historically,even innocents are killed off because if they have kids then the purists can argue that those kids have a claim to the throne,so idk what the big deal is?

The big deal seems to be that people who like to read these stories here doesn't read much history. They tend to reflect their modern day morality these stories which is sad.

Middle ages where brutal where people were killed with no reason.

Contributor
@RavenWolf:

I totally respect the cultural relativity of medieval mores when the authors stick to it sincerely (Emperor and the Female Knight comes to mind, where both the protagonist is ordered killed and innocent members of royal houses slaughtered, and it feels right for that world).

But so many of these are both A) chock-full of a mish-mash of anachronisms and B) are at heart flighty romance novels (or some such light entertainment)—at which point I feel it is appropriate to examine which ancient morals were plucked to suit the plot, why, and how they are framed. Certainly, for instance, setting your novel in a pre-industrial setting should not be considered carte blanche to romanticize abusive relationship principles.

(In this particular series, of course—though I haven't read much yet—I'm likely to give it a decent amount of extra benefit of the doubt, because him having done horrible things to her in the beginning appears to be the central emotional conflict the plot is built around. Since that's the main idea the author is playing with, making him detestable at this point is a totally respectable authorial move—indeed, I would see people's seething reactions as an indication that the author possibly is getting more-or-less the reactions they wanted—and any ire on my part will be more guided by how the romance, itself, is accordingly conducted and framed.)

Edit: As was not yet apparent when I was reading this chapter, but is when reading those immediately after it: This manwha is one of the rare ones that's taking the grim consequences of its setting relatively seriously, so the "it's just medieval folks being medieval" argument does have some potential bearing here. (Which doesn't mean I won't judge it later if it starts slipping, it should be said :'p).

Dex-chan lover
This art is beautiful but ML needs to lay off lip fillers just a little

Users who are viewing this thread