Beatrice - Vol. 1 Ch. 16

@PotatoZero He's done nothing really wrong or out of expectation according to his backstory and character. His main flaw is that he doesn't worship the heroine immediately like a standard shoujo hero, so he's a cold blooded asshole that eat human babies for breakfeast, no middle ground here.
Seems it's the trend nowadays to react like that.

I'm very curious how ML will end up with Chole even if he seems interested in her a bit. Their status are very different in current chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Imagine your dad siting in his office reading BL oneshot of you

Pfft well of course you're sweaty if you've done sword practice. But oh well, I don't mind either way.
Thank you for another fast update <3
You are awesome <3

Thanks for the flood of updates!

I'm wondering if this marriage issue will bring him and Chloe together.. I mean if he is forced to marry someone with noble background, Chloe is technically a princess, and if he finds that out she might be a bit more welcome spouse to him. Not welcome, but a tad more tolerable than the scheming court ladies.

Lemme guess, he's going to fall in love with her but they can't be together cus she's a slave but she's actually a princess!!! So they will end up together?

Group Leader
@proulout
If you think shoujo heroes worship shoujo heroines then I have something to tell you.....theres a reason the cold blooded rapey shoujo dude is a trope
And just because he hasnt done anything out of character still dosent make him a good person
And bro you really think his worst flaw is that he dosent like the heroine? Are you ignoring eyertitng else cause hes attractive?

@PotatoZero
Dude is a textbook case of domestic abuse. He can a person who hates women so much that he takes pleasure in there pain ever be a good person to the female lead. Unless it comes out that hes an evil twin or he had a curse put on him I cant see it work

Lol that expression when he though his son is gay XD

Thank you for the updates! Legendary!

@theilikepie My point exactly. Everyone seems to have a hard time figuring out that having a cold demeanor and being ruthless to outsiders does not mean being the "asshole shoujo ml that any human being would gladly kill in their sleep given the opportunity", especially in a medieval noble circle where eveyrone is a slithering snake willing to backstab you ( and seems to be the case with the flashback of the hero, and the attitude of the noble in this chapter). That's why you see every 5 seconds the "hurr durr asshole mc go die" comment when it's not the first archetype. Maybe reread chapter 1 and 2 to get a clearer look at the male lead personality, you may be enlightened.
But hey you have your opinion, keep having it and please do notify me again when the hero will kills children in their sleep for giggles, or torture the heroine for breathing in a 10km radius of any male being. I may change mine then and will be willing to discuss about it more.

@PotatoZero In the first chapter, he says he dislike blood. In the next chapter, he stops the asshole noble having his way with the female prisonner. And if you ask me, granting a swift death to the other princess was an act of mercy. She wouldn't be left alive anyway, being member of the royalty for a defeated country that you clearly don't want to see rising in rebellion in the future. That's a better fate than leaving her to asshole red head noble who would probably rape her/torturing her for kicks.

@PotatoZero First impressions are everything and unfortunately, our first impression of the Archduke is someone who ordered the execution of the MC on the spot even though she didn’t do anything wrong. At least that other princess he killed was resisting her capturers, but even then her death can be uncomfortable because her humiliation seemed unnecessary. Yes, he granted her a quick death out of mercy (I believe this to be true)... but not before cutting the front part of her dress solely to prove to himself that he was right about women. Many readers find MC to be very likeable and the Archduke is someone she is terrified of right now for very legitimate reasons. Perhaps they saw the possibility of the MC being humiliated and killed the same way.

Also, the setting of the empire holds many uncomfortable truths about medieval history such as slavery, torture, and hanging corpses on castle walls. The death/imprisonment of noncombatants can be very uncomfortable. The empire was not exactly portrayed in the best light to modern eyes and the Archduke is in a position of power within that same empire. The uncomfortableness of the empire could then be transferred over to the Archduke simply because he’s a strict follower of their rules.

Perhaps that’s what’s making readers dislike the Archduke. He’s too much of a stickler for rules that seem illogical to many modern readers. Case in point, sentencing Howl to death for one single mistake. We do get a look inside his head portraying him in a better light, but... he’s still going through with it. Yes, he chose not to execute the MC... but only because his vice captain suggested that she was worth more alive than dead. It was also the vice captain who stopped that red haired guy from raping the MC, not the Archduke. I don’t think he was even in the room when that happened. Either way, red haired guy did not appear to have been punished, so readers may wonder if the Archduke was enabling his behaviour. They both seem to share the same mindset about noble ladies, after all.

Perhaps the biggest problem readers have with this guy is that he’s too decisive and pragmatic in his approach, which are good qualities to have as a military leader in life and death situations. Problem is, that mindset has been a threat to the very sympathetic MC on more than one occassion. It’s also the sort of mindset that leads to conclusion jumping. On the surface, he seems narrowminded if not for the fact that he does listen to others like the VC and the MC, but that says more about them than it does about him. They had to speak up right away because he had already made a lethal decision right there on the spot (or was going to if they stayed silent for more than ten seconds). He’s also a bit too prone to resorting to the kill option against noncombatants. That sort of uninformed quick decision-making can rub readers the wrong way (he didn’t even know Beatrice was Gilbert’s wife when he ordered her to be executed!).

Tldr: Archduke isn’t hated because he’s not worshipping MC. He’s hated because he’s impulsive and an active threat against a very likeable and sympathetic MC.

Fed-Kun's army
whew chile theres so much going on with this clowncar of a cast:

1. The emperor dead just pushed his wife out a window in front of his son. Consequently: "I can excuse my murder of my wife and my son's torture and enslavement of others, but I draw the line with my son potentially being gay."

2. Archduke Honey Graham's unnecessary violence and casual mistreatment of people (we love an abusive ML!) Not to mention calling his mother greedy, which while pointing a knife is shitty and I think personally deserves like a beating from me and the FBI, isn't really greed since it was his father that did all that? Like, what's not clicking? Oh! And also just casually being buddies with possible serial rapist and murderer Red-Haired Asswipe and making that first princess suffer humiliation by sexually assaulting her (yes, it is) before killing her anyway. But yeah his life was sad so we all have to coddle him being a war criminal :'(
There are legitimate reasons to hate this man but him not making heart-eyes.jpg at Chloe is like the least of it.

3. Chloe... i have nothing to say about, keep being you and find peace, live love laugh my girl :D

Can you guys stop writing novels in the comments about the ml and either read it or don't.

Users who are viewing this thread